PDA

View Full Version : Firefox hijackers

gemma10
14th Dec 2012, 11:56
Anyone know how to PERMANENTLY get rid of SweetIm and Blecko hijackers? Have trolled the web for answers, with no success. Guess the problem lies in the registry somewhere.:}:}

BOAC
14th Dec 2012, 12:17
Have trolled the web for answers - apart from 'trolling', have you tried all the solutions Google offers? What are these problems you have? Site re-direct/toolbar/spamming - what? What do you mean by 'hijacker'?

gemma10
14th Dec 2012, 16:20
On the firefox homepage you have a google main bar and a google in top right hand corner provided you have set google as your main search engine. When the firefox page is hijacked only the search in the top right hand corner finds google searches. The main centre page google defaults to a blecko or sweetIm search engine. Appears to be a known problem just search for "get rid of blecko". Malwarebytes, Norton, Spybot and Superantispyware do not get rid of it.

green granite
14th Dec 2012, 16:29
I have SweetIM on my firefox browser but i cannot remove it. it doesn't appear under Extensions or Appearances in Tools. Please help | Firefox Support Forum | Mozilla Support (http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/931724?esab=a&s=+blecko+or+sweetIm+search+engine&r=9&as=s)

gemma10
14th Dec 2012, 16:36
Thanks for that GG. Have done all they say but its still there. Im pretty sure its not a trojan but only malware. Like I said before I think its in the registry.

BOAC
14th Dec 2012, 16:45
I think you are saying that your 'home page'; has been hijacked by sweet1m - there is also a search engine hijack it can do but you have not described that since you say the search box is still 'Google'. It appears to be associated with 'smilies' on instant messaging like MSN and yahoo and is thought to be harmless (but annoying!). I understand from your reply that 'blecko' is also coming up as a browser page and not just a search box item?

You have done this?

1) Use Add/Remove Programs from Control Panel in Windows to remove sweet1m and blecko (if they are there)
2) In Firefox go to Tools/Add-Ons/Extensions and uninstall the SweetIM and blecko extensions (if they are there)
3) Go to your search engines and find Manage Search Engines then delete the SweetIm search engine from the list. (JUST IN CASE!)
4) In Firefox go to Tools/Options and look at the Main tab. Be sure that your home page URL has not been hijacked.

If that does not fix it, run malwarebytes in Windows Safe mode and see.

Can you report back then?

Jhieminga
14th Dec 2012, 16:56
I've removed this pest from a colleagues laptop and the link in post #4 has the relevant tips that I used then:
Reset your Location Bar search engine (if typing a few words in the URL/Location Bar takes you to SweetIM search):

type about:config in your Location Bar, like typing a web site address, and press the Enter key
ignore warning and choose to continue
in Filter, type keyword.URL
in lower part of screen, if it is bold and shows "user set", right-click keyword.URL and choose "Reset"
in Filter, type SweetIM
any items in lower part of screen in bold and showing "user set", right-click and choose "Reset"
close about:config tab

I only had to search for 'SweetIM' and reset those values.

gemma10
14th Dec 2012, 17:02
Thanks BOAC, have done all items 1 to 4 many times. Time to try it in safe mode as you say with malwarebytes. I think there is a program called IKILL which supposedly destroys this nuisance but am reluctant to go charging into the registry.

Loose rivets
14th Dec 2012, 17:20
I'm worried now.

W7 Pro and FF 17 0 1

I like nothing on the main screen except Goo search box. Yes, the top one is there but I never use it.

The second I start typing, the box jumps to the top left. It's marked with a colourful Goo logo and over to the right is my e-mail address.

I just don't remember a new box appearing, but then my memory is somewhat suspect these days. Oh, BTW, it started doing it while I was still on FF 13

Jhieminga
14th Dec 2012, 17:39
Loose rivets: That's Google's latest interface, nothing to do with Firefox or hijackers. You're seeing normal behaviour.

Loose rivets
15th Dec 2012, 03:30
Phew! Thanks for that.

BOAC
15th Dec 2012, 07:38
gemma - it sounds as if post #7 may have your answer.

glad rag
15th Dec 2012, 09:52
:D:D:D:D

Nice routine Jhieminga I've NEVER even heard of that stuff

:D:D:D:D

one to store away.

Gertrude the Wombat
15th Dec 2012, 10:03
Very easy answer:

(1) Delete Firefox.

(2) Use IE.

Problem sorted.

For next time, the rule to apply is:

(3) Do not download, and install, and run, any malware.

gemma10
15th Dec 2012, 10:56
SORTED. Thanks to all and especially post No.7. Ive seen something similar to that before but not in that detail..Up yours sweetim and blecko:D:D:D

green granite
15th Dec 2012, 11:42
Gemma 10 had you followed all the stuff in the link in post #4 you would have done the about:config bit.

gemma10
15th Dec 2012, 16:17
GG You`re right, didnt follow it right through, but thanks anyway