PDA

View Full Version : Netscape vs IE6

Binoculars
15th Apr 2002, 07:20
After my trials and tribulations described in another thread, I now find myself back with IE5 which is fine in all departments except that because of a java problem my internet banking site crashes my computer. I'm reluctant to go back to IE6 again because of the ridiulous number of errors and browswer shutdowns I was getting last time, so I suppose the alternative is Netscape.

I have no particular demands of a browser and I've used it in the past satisfactorily, but the question is how does it install over Explorer? Is it a seamless procedure, and more particularly what email program does it use? I rather like Outlook Express, but I assume it would have to go. Are there any problems importing my current email data? Any hints would be appreciated.

FL310
15th Apr 2002, 10:07
If you want to work with Netscape it is much easier as you expect. You can install the whole package which includes mail and news and browser, but you may also selct the browser only.
Whatever you install, you still can keep your todays email client and there should not be any problem at all.
For testing purposes I have actually 4 browser installed and several email clients, still declaring my favorite as the default client.
Hope this helps you

18-Wheeler
15th Apr 2002, 13:42
NEITHER!
I use Opera, and would not think of going back to Netscape, let alone IE.
It's available as a download to try, so if you are willing to try something a little different, more configurable, faster, more reliable, etc, then give it a go.

bblank
15th Apr 2002, 18:41
I once downloaded Opera but never installed it since I was satisfied with Netscape. I did upgrade Netscape to version 6.2.x but found that horribly slow on my old equipment so I went back to Netscape 4.7x which I find perfectly adequate for my simple needs. (I actually also keep installed a version of Netscape 3.x since I prefer its newsreader.) As FL310 mentioned you don't have to install the complete "browser suite", Netscape Communicator, if it is not needed. Just download and install the browser, Netscape Navigator. The installation instructions at http://www.netscape.com/comprod/mirror/ are comprehensive. All past releases and other stuff are available from the page http://home.netscape.com/download/index.html

stagger
15th Apr 2002, 20:25
If you want to use something from Netscape then forget the bloated monster that is Netscape 6.0 and stick with the most recent Communicator release 4.79.

G.Khan
16th Apr 2002, 00:58
This may be just my experience but if you decide to go the Windows XP route you will find that only Netscape 6.2.2 or later works properly.

Have been using opera but on many websites it doesn,t open links etc. Have checked the configuration and Java is enabled etc. but this too may be an incompatibility with XP?:(

AA SLF
17th Apr 2002, 17:32
I am running a brand new laptop that came from Toshiba with XP-Home already factory installed. It had IE-5.x also installed, but NO version of any Netscape product. I downloaded the upgrade to IE-6.0.26 myself from Mfst and then downloaded COMMUNICATOR 4.79 from the Netscape site. I wanted the Communicator for the mail/new reader applet only .

I use IE for all web browsing and Communicator for all email/news reading. This setup works just fine on Win-XP/Home on my laptop. The laptop is a P-3 @ 1.1 mhtz with 256 sdram.

I think the big reason I have such a stable system is that it was setup at the factory by Toshiba and the Bios and other items have been "tuned" for XP "approved/certified" software.

I only run software that is XP "certified". If you are trying to upgrade from an older version of Windows (ie-2kPro/98/Me) then I think you should consider a completely clean install of XPand a total re-build with a new version of your Bios from the PC maker set up for XP. Remember - XP needs "xp" level drivers for almost everything so download all those drivers ASAP.
-dAAvid

G.Khan
17th Apr 2002, 23:54
Well, my XP was an upgrade from W2000 but it was provided by Dell with a separate CD-Rom with the new drivers and BIOS etc.

Being factory issue I was hoping it would be bug-free!!!

One day I may get the courage to clean it all off and start again!:rolleyes: