PDA

View Full Version : Eng. level 6,Indian DGC

pembroke
14th Dec 2012, 08:00
Had a request as a UK Flt. Examiner, to sign an Indian airline pilot as level 6, to renew his UK FRTOL. On this basis the Indian DGC will renew his Indian RTR.
Question on this forum:
How common is it to have an original UK FRTOL as the basis of the Indian DGC RTR? If this is the norm, see above at other forums re. the "English Level 6" debate. Also, if a language assessment is required, is this not done by a TRE during routine sim. LPCs?

aer_bourne
14th Dec 2012, 12:49
The English test is a very murky topic, for the lack of a better word to describe it. The student probably wants to have his FRTOL signed so that he can have the same Level 6 endorsed on the Indian CPL (Which requires one to have a minimum level 4 in accordance with prescribed ICAO standards). It is infact very common to have a UK FRTOL in order to issue a Indian RTR, I myself have done the same.

pembroke
14th Dec 2012, 13:08
Thanks for your answer. Please note that this request was from an Indian airline pilot who was at the assumed level 4 when his UK FRTOL was issued 5 years ago. His english is fine, and as an FE, I can only sign for level 6, or not sign if I think there is a question mark over a pilot's english language ability.
If you are correct there must be many pilots in India who will have expired FROTL/FRTs.
I can't understand why this isn't dealt with in India. I understand English is your official language, particularly in education, commerce, politics and of course, aviation.

avionimc
15th Dec 2012, 10:00
Understand from Indian pilots that the DGCA RT written exam is very difficult and almost impossible to pass. One pilot I met failed it 2 or 3 times and was in a bind. Now that it is apparently more difficult to pay DGCA officials in order to get a license, the only foreign RT that is recognized by DGCA is the one from the UK.

pembroke
10th Jan 2013, 18:53
Re the above. Will someone explain, or at least raise the issue of a UK FRTOL, and Eng. Lang level 4/6 asap. This affects many Indian pilots, who began as "level" 4, and who now need to update this, hopefully to level 6. It may be "murky", but if it's a problem, it should be sorted out by the DGAC, not here in UK. If someone can assure me that this problem is in hand, fine. The other course of action is to raise it here with both the CAA and the Indian High Comm., in London.
(UK FE)