PDA

View Full Version : When I used CCleaner I get as many IE files as FF but . . .

Loose rivets
13th Dec 2012, 12:56
I don't use I E except in emergencies.

Any way to stop this without uninstalling it - erm, can you uninstall it?

stuckgear
13th Dec 2012, 15:02
uninstall IE or CC ?

BOAC
13th Dec 2012, 15:16
I have a feeling that M$ update and other updates use IE so I guess you are stuck with it. Some sites will only allow access via IE, I believe this is if they use M$ Exchange but I am not sure, but probably NOT a good idea to try and 'get rid of it' even if you can..

mixture
13th Dec 2012, 16:25
I have a feeling that M$ update and other updates use IE

Not quite, its BITS (and other bobs).

But still, I agree with your sentiment. Its a Microsoft platform, and Microsoft have a bit of a strong history of tightly nit integration between IE and Windows. So even if the official policy these days is that IE can be uninstalled in post-XP Windows, I wouldn't do it.

I also wouldn't do it, because there are still many websites out there written by incompetent, worthless, web developers who have not mastered the fact that writing a cross-platform cross-browser website is a must these days. You'll find websites that only work properly (or will only work... full stop) on IE. I'm not only taking about small-fry websites either... there are some big brands I could name (but won't) who are single browser minded.

BOAC
13th Dec 2012, 16:44
BITS???. Wozzat? Orl I noze it my macheen tells me I cannot access M$ upgrade in FF and have to use IE.

EDIT: Sorry, got a bit whimsical there.............I know what BITS is and how it works. The point I was making is that I cannot access M$ Update on FF and have to use IE, thus so, I assume, will LR which I assume accounts for the temp files etc he finds in CC. I think the old activex plug-in for earlier FF is now 'dead'?