PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please give me a rundown of how RAF pilot training works?

saqademus
13th Dec 2012, 12:34
ie how long it takes to get a commerical pilots license through the RAF, and if its considered the best route in England these days for people that dont have a spare 100k.

I've just found the East Midlands University air Squadron which is part of the RAF and a course they run for graduates, but am unaware of price etc.

Also, the positives and negatives of enrolling in such a course?

What is the cheapest possible route?

Thanks in advance!

BigGrecian
13th Dec 2012, 15:19
Your post comes across as a complete wind up - even though I know it's not.

Your in the wrong forum to start with.

Try military aircrew.

You also need to do some research - asking others to do it for you is completlely the wrong approach if you wan to join the UAS/RAF - there is tonnes of information available in the public domain.

First of all there is no fee with the UAS - they take those who want to join the RAF. Pilot selection is about 1000 to 1 to much more intense than any civilian pilot job.

If your not serious about the military they'll see right through you.

The military doesn't issue civilian qualifications you would pay for these yourself and partly with credit from the MOD, after your service period is up 8-16 years depending on your commision.

packo1848
13th Dec 2012, 16:51
UAS is exactly what it says on the tin, a University Air Squadron, go to uni and join the UAS. May be wrong, but I believe they are part of the RAF Volunteer Reserve, and as such not a guaranteed route in, certainly will look good on your application though.

If you don't want to fly military, but rather just want to use it as a step to your commercial, I wouldn't advise it for a number of reasons.

First, you still have to pay for the licence at the end, with limited aid. Not sure if aircrew/commissioned get any extra, but after 4 years I was entitled to 3 grants (no more than 1 per financial year) of £1000, and after 8 this rises to £2000 a time.

Second, there is quite a large return of service I believe for pilots (around 8/9 years). After this period you are still in a similar position to anyone else looking for their first commercial job, albeit with more experience and less debt.

Third, if you don't have your heart set on the military then the recruiters will more than likely see through you in the series of interviews you will have to pass.

Fourth, I know a lot of people in the flying training system are waiting for long periods between training courses, if the military's not really where you want to be, I can imagine this would be extremely frustrating.

Sure going through the military has its advantages, but I would leave it to those who want a career with the military.

Also, should probably be asking this on the military aircrew forum.