PDA

View Full Version : type ratings

Deccor
12th Dec 2012, 09:49
Hi all
Just need a bit of advise.
What is the best rating to have now a days. Is the hs 125 still good to have or are the VLJs doing well at the moment? Are there any companies willing to pay for ratings anymore?
Cheers
Deccor

12th Dec 2012, 11:38
It's a big mistake if you were thinking about self-funding a bizjet TR on spec. There was a thread on here recently about it. Bizjets is very much the domain of 'not what you know, but who you know'. Plus, insurance min hours requirements quite often puts it out of the reach of a new 200 hr pilots.

Not saying that you are thinking about self sponsoring or are a 200 hr guy, but it's wasted money if you self-sponsor with no job offer at the end of it.

And I'm surprised that you haven't got any grief about erroding T & C's yet!

Phil Brockwell
12th Dec 2012, 12:34
To put a bit of perspective on this, and avoiding the rights and wrongs. You run a commercial operation, you need an FO, you have a stack of CV's, many of which are suitable, one of the suitable CV's has a type rating of the correct type.

Do you employ the one with the correct type rating, or delay having the pilot online, and pay thousands for the type rating.

What would you do?

Obviously from the pilot's perspective, it's a rediculous risk, but many have taken it for both good and bad outcomes.

PB

Joe le Taxi
12th Dec 2012, 14:13
I have been in that position a few years ago Phil, and I avoided the self type rated one because it made him look a bit like a desperate loser. We were going to offer a type rating (although took no-one in the end).

Theres little doubt in pays off in the short haul airline world though.

Booglebox
12th Dec 2012, 14:44
I think a self-sponsored bizjet type rating is only good as a last resort, with a very good chance of a job at the end of it.
There are many avenues to be exhausted first e.g. ask your potential employer if he will bond you for half of it / all of it for a few years, etc. Being a bit cheeky can often work like magic - you're just asking!

As Joe le Taxi says, it works differently with airlines. In any case, good luck!

Deccor
13th Dec 2012, 08:23
Thanks for the replies.
I have an expired hs125 rating(only just, thanks to EASA), over 3000 hours total, mostly on hs125 and c550/560. Have been out of GA for a while and want to get back in. Obviously I do not want to have to pay for any ratings(luckily have never done so in 15 years of flying). Just want to know weather to go for Hs 125 operators or something else like VLJ operators.
Cheers
Deccor

Pace
13th Dec 2012, 11:58
Deccor

Are you flying N reg? Are you flying freelance? If so it makes sense to run two types on the N as you can alternate recurrents one renewing the other.

If you are freelance chances are you will finance your own recurrents which is now quite expensive.

For not a lot more with the 500 series (ie 500 550 560) It maybe worth adding the CJ series which stupidly covers the 1234 :ok:

Never knew why the CJ was not a differences upgrade to the 500 series and equally do not know how a basic CJ1 covers you to fly a CJ4?

If you renew the 500 series you used to hold and then add the CJ that covers quite a large variety of aircraft for a freelance pilot.

Pace

No RYR for me
13th Dec 2012, 12:21
or are the VLJs doing well

Err... nope. They only people to do well out of the VLJ revolution were the PR consultants! :cool:

JliderPilot
13th Dec 2012, 21:48
The cost difference between an initial and recurrent is not that much, so companies might rather get the right person that fits into the operation.