PDA

View Full Version : Satcom/acars

Vandelay
15th Apr 2002, 03:04
Hi. I was wondering if anybody knew any good sources about satellite communications for airplanes. (Satellite usage related for me flight crew use rather than for the pax).

Any sources would be really helpful whether it be a magazine article reference, website, etc. I just can't seem to find any descent info on it.

Thanks a lot.

davidtriggs
15th Apr 2002, 03:43
HI Vanderlay,

Have a look at the Boeing site, SITA and ARINC or do a search on Google under ACARS and you'll find plenty of info.

farrari
15th Apr 2002, 11:21
Look at www.icarusinstruments.com then click on Sat Talk also www.Bendixking.com click on products then Airsat and also Air to ground Communications also www.satellite-phones.org:p

Frequent SLF
17th Apr 2002, 14:00
Vandelay,

As has already been said, ARINC and/or SITA are the best source of information - they are the major suppliers of ACARS services via VHF and satcom, as well as retailers of satcom services for passenger and flight operations use. They use the Inmarsat satellite network, and support additional ACARS services over satcom including ATS applications such as ADS and CPDLC using FANS-1 (or FANS-A if you prefer the Tolouse variant).

There was an article in Flight Deck International last year (from memory) which described all this. Apparently some operators are using satcom ACARS in preference to VHF to get around congested VHF channels, particularly in Europe - costs are similar.

Satcom voice use for flight operations and ATC is also increasingly popular - it is a real improvement on HF voice, but so is almost anything. I'm told it's the preferred method for contacting Kabul ATC for those who find themselves in that airspace.

Hope this helps

Freq SLF