PDA

View Full Version : Darn it. New U-verse router and now FF problems

Loose rivets
11th Dec 2012, 20:00
It just turned up on the doorstep. AT&T sent it after a conversation about our costs compared to new subscribers. Great deal, but I didn't know this unit was coming.

My heart sank. It was made by Motorola. My old 2Wire had been fine for years. Suddenly my net was history, and I was told the new service would start after 8PM

I even needed support to get it going.

Just found out I can't put smilies in.

Heck of a job to get hooked up in the mornings. Other PC finds the net okay, but mine shows its not connecting to the outside world. Reaches the router okay.

Then finally, I'm up and working - W7 Pro and FF 13 0 1 but now, Pprune is attracting the blocks from FF. I press Allow, and I get a warning it can't find the net. Run IE and Pprune's there. CCleaner, and it works on FF. But soon starts playing up again.

Is it the new system, or just coincidence?

Milo Minderbinder
11th Dec 2012, 20:11
dunno, but based on experience in the UK where BT sent out 2Wire branded units to their business customers, almost ANYTHING is better than a 2Wire modem/router
Bloody things are very very sensitive to line noise and drop out at the slightest thing. Even the BT business call centre support chaps used to slag them off

Loose rivets
11th Dec 2012, 20:38
Come to think of it, I did have the first one go TU after 3 years. Replaced free of charge.

I'm entering Pprune without a problem now.

Something's gone wrong. Is Pprune adding to some confusion? Can't put smilies in and if I try, pressing any letter gets me a strip across the lower screen with quickfind. and a message with url type box saying pprune trouble shooting!!!

In all the years on prune, never seen the like.

Just tried mail, and smilies work on that.

Loose rivets
11th Dec 2012, 21:51
Just gone to FF 17 and the problems seem to have gone away, BUT, only after one download box appearing as I was typing in the search. Prior to this, that was as far as I could get.

Then this stopped happening.:p:yuk::=:* and smilies are back.

Booglebox
12th Dec 2012, 15:39
Are you using some ISP-supplied software to get online, and/or some sort of firewall / browser extension? Did you commit the cardinal sin of inserting any ISP-supplied disc into your machine? :sad:

I could tell you horror stories about Wanadoo and Free.fr "drivers" here in the land of Frog. And I am sure that mentioning anything to do with BT's similar stuff that was prevalent a few years ago will make Milo feel positively ill. :yuk:

Milo Minderbinder
12th Dec 2012, 21:19
dead right about that - when we were on the BT/Anovo broadband installation contract, the chaps on the BT Helpdesk used to plead with us NOT to install the "BT Broadband Desktop Help" software, even though we were contractually obliged to do so

It hooks its way into every part of the system and can cripple a machine
Personally I always thought it was part of the Phorm project, but I never got anyone to admit it

EGTE
15th Dec 2012, 21:19
BT Broadband Desktop Help used to be a very large download and didn't help much at all.
But that was then and this is now.
It's a much more compact installation and works very well on both my WinXP desktop and Win7 laptop - and has helped on more that one occasion! No-one at BT will tell you not to install it today.