PDA

View Full Version : Xm weather for Europe

nouseforaname
11th Dec 2012, 19:42
I have been researching this as I want to put an xm weather unit in our aircraft. Avidyne offer the ex700 (I think it's called!) which gives the weather downlink. Does anyone know what else is available at the moment or soon to be available. I don't want to run off and buy a avidyne unit if Garmin have something better just around the corner...

Any experiences in using any of these xm systems IFR in Europe would be interesting to hear too.

Thanks

wigglyamp
11th Dec 2012, 22:22
Garmin offer the GSR56 datalink weather system for G500/600 and G1000 glass cockpits. It has better radar coverage than Avidyne's MLX770 and allows voice communication on Iridium as well as getting digital weather data. With G1000 you can also do text messaging.

localflighteast
12th Dec 2012, 11:22
Xm weather wont be available in Europe because their satellites don't cover the area
Xms satellites are in geosynchronous orbit over America , Sirius ones are in a weird reverse molniya swing around other south America

nouseforaname
13th Dec 2012, 07:08
Well there is some form of satellite weather even if its not xm. Which is a major step forward in my view

nouseforaname
14th Dec 2012, 11:34
I would want it more for avoiding CB and TS's around Europe. I have run into a few embedded in my time and I can assure you its no fun, avionics and subscriptions are expensive but they may get you home safe(er) one day which in my view makes them well worth while....:ok:

When I get the gear all installed I will light up this thread again and let anyone who's interested know if it worked well or not.