PDA

View Full Version : CX Cabincrew then no smile service...

jetjockey696
11th Dec 2012, 14:14
CX Cabin crew no-smile service... NOTHING new there. I never seen a smiling CX cabin crew for many many years, expect you might get a smile if you a celebrity even get to seat on the cabincrew seat..... :E or just finishing up in a COCKpit service..:ok:

Cathay cabin crew threaten no-smile service
By Alexis Lai, CNN

Cathay Pacific's flight attendants union voted in favor of taking industrial action Monday after salary negotiations with the Hong-Kong-based airline stalled.

The union is considering action that would result in flight delays or reduced onboard services, although its members will not go on an all-out strike over the Christmas period, said its general secretary, Tsang Kwok-fung.

Tsang said members are considering work-to-rule action, which means strictly following all rules and procedures to the letter to delay flights. It may also resort to a "safety-first limited service," which means fulfilling only the most basic duties required by the Civil Aviation Department.

"The basic role of a flight attendant is to take care of safety measures on flights and to take passengers from one point to another point safely," Tsang said, adding that serving food and beverages were extra services required by the airline.

Under this scenario, Tsang said flight attendants would likely provide water to passengers, but refrain from non-essential items such as nuts and alcohol. They would also refuse to provide service with a smile.

The FAU would not consider launching a strike until the busy Chinese New Year travel period in early February, Tsang said, to allow travelers sufficient time to make alternate flight arrangements.

The dispute was sparked by the 2% salary increase for 2013 announced by the airline on November 30. The union had requested an increase of 5%, the same rate they had settled for in 2012.

In a press statement, the company said the 2% increase "took into account a number of factors including a loss of more than HK$900 million in the first half of this year and the extremely difficult operating environment we are in."

But Tsang said the 2% offered for 2013 was unreasonable, adding that it was the same rate offered during severe external crises, such as SARS and the worldwide financial crisis.

The airline said it was willing to meet with the union if it withdrew its threat of industrial action.

It has "comprehensive contingency plans" for any industrial actions the union might take, Cathay Pacific spokesperson Elin Wong confirmed, but she declined to provide details.

The union has 6,000 members, representing two thirds of the airline's cabin crew.

It last launched a strike for 17 days in 1993 over Chinese New Year.

CXtreme
11th Dec 2012, 21:59
:D Well said Bill

FR8R H8R
12th Dec 2012, 00:50
Seriously? No smiles? As the OP stated, they never smiled to begin with. Maybe they should threaten TO smile.

But, that's just witty banter. T&Cs throughout the industry will continue to erode to the point that everyone will be treated as an iCadet. Sadly though, the kids will continue to queue at the door for a job regardless of how grim things get.

I remember my first jet job and telling a captain that it was so great that I couldn't believe they paid me. He swiftly, and correctly, put me in my place. As professionals, we should be treated as such. Until the future iCadets realise that the "love of flying" dies a quick death at airline jobs and find different line of work, nothing will change and the race to the bottom will pick up speed.

Hopefully the FA action works in some form or another. The majority of pilots can only think of themselves and not the group so there is little hope again in this case.

4 driver
12th Dec 2012, 01:47
Bill - I don't think you should blame the AOA leadership. They only play the hand they are dealt. We have many spineless members, and I don't mean a couple hundred.
We can't even get the membership numbers up to where they should be. In addition, so many personal agendas make it difficult for the lads to stand strong when they are standing alone.
I'm glad the girls have some balls at least.....

Evanelpus
12th Dec 2012, 12:58
Can't see what all the fuss is about, been happening at the yellow harp airline for years!

broadband circuit
12th Dec 2012, 13:37
Good intentions Jizz Monkey, but you alluded to the level of membership spine (or lack thereof).

However, I am still waiting for the 25 year housing that we we promised in return for supporting SLS '09.

How about CC for that??

BusyB
12th Dec 2012, 14:32
BC,
Who's been refused 25yr housing?:confused:

Kasompe
12th Dec 2012, 15:07
Busy B....
It ISN'T in writing, though, is it?
:ok:

Kasompe
12th Dec 2012, 15:19
Back to the original thread though....
I recently came back from JHB and observed our cabin crew ( BC and SP ) display the utmost tact and courtesy in the face of possibly the rudest and most ignorant Jclass passengers I've ever had the mispleasure of sharing an aircraft with. Our cabin crews' behaviour was exemplary and, I think, way ahead of the tolerance most of us would have mustered.
Personally I think our CC service is still amongst the best in the industry.:ok:

geh065
12th Dec 2012, 16:08
Didn't know we flew to Johor Bahru.

cyrex
12th Dec 2012, 16:54
We go to Johor Bahru if we carry CFP fuel to SIN;)

Kitsune
12th Dec 2012, 18:02
Oh, you'll never meet a nice South African,
And that's not bloody surprising man,
'Cos they're... :cool:

broadband circuit
12th Dec 2012, 23:32
Who's been refused 25yr housing?

As Kasompe says,

It ISN'T in writing, though, is it?

The problem I have is that each and every person who hits the 15 year mark has to go & individually request the extension. Call me cynical, but I see this as both the thin edge of the wedge toward "individually negotiated conditions", and another case of "at the sole discretion of the company".

Anyone whose been here more than 5 minutes knows where that can ultimately lead: Sorry, no extension beyond 15 years because (pick one) -

- too many sickness events
- too many ASR-Fs
- not helping on G days
- failure to use discretion, resulting in a service disruption
- you wore a yellow pin in 2001

etc, etc, etc.....

You promised it, so let's see it.