PDA

View Full Version : I want an answer NOW! (please?)

niallcooney
14th Apr 2002, 23:42
Hi guys,

Sorry for the title but it's come to this. I'm in Ireland (big groan) and want to start my PPL and 50 hours structured P1 time. Can't do that in Ireland. No facilities. No weather. I'll have no money left. Second option: UK. Anyone know the GBP v Euro exchange rates? Well I do and they're scary. I know there's nothing wrong with the UK but the weather precludes me from doing in in under 5 weeks. And that's how fast I want it done. Theory isn't a problem, have been doing it for the past 3 months now. So the final option: going to the US. Can SOMEONE reliably tell me if and WHERE I can do a JAA PPL plus flight\ground exams in the US without getting everyone confused? I have 10000 Euro to spend (that's GBP6100) and I'd like to get the best out of it. I have researched it. If I hadn't I wouldn't be asking. I have a medical and my ultimate goal is RHS regional jet.

I'd appreciate any pointers (no hangar pilots please as they say in 02FO)
Nial

FL395
15th Apr 2002, 00:18
Hey there Niall
well have you checked the JAA web site for a list of approved FTOs?? or contacted the CAA in the UK????
No point talking to the IAA as there are no JAA FTOs in the country.
You need to find out what schools are JAA approved and on the JAA or CAA list and then contact them yourself and see which gives the best option.....why are you only thinking of the US...why
not Spain???? there's a school in Jerez....and they still take Euros or Portugal or somewhere within the JAA member states that have good weather.....
I don't think anyone is going to do all your work for you......
Thats my tupence worth....if ya don't like it too bad....i don't have any more info than that....
Have you been out to Weston and talked to other students out there or the Dublin airport flying club or South Aer in Cork or Westair in Shannon....they all can give some sort of ideas
:cool: :D :cool:

FL395
15th Apr 2002, 00:24
Oh yeah
with a heading like "NOW"...i don't think you'll get on the right side of too many people.
Why not act like a professional pilot wannabe....
What's O2FO........so far from your other post i don't think you met any "hangar pilots" but then again since you aren't flying and are looking for help i wouldn't recommend slagging people posting information to help you.
:cool: :D :D :cool:

niallcooney
15th Apr 2002, 10:02
Appreciate the comments 395. I'll try not to get on the wrong side of too many people. However the NOW was a little joke... don't know if you got it or not (I suspect not). What a serious bunch of pilots. Oh well, thanks for your time.

skeet surfer
15th Apr 2002, 10:20
If you look on the uk caa website - safety regulation group - flight crew licensing - you will find a list of schools which are accepted as jaa fto's by the uk caa

some of these schools are in the US and africa, to name but 2 places, and all the addresses and phone numbers are included

I did my ppl in the uk in 3 weeks so the weather isn't always the problem it's made out to be......

I'd advise you to go overseas to learn (good experience/weather and cheaper) but budget for a few hours on your return to get used to european/uk/roi radio and weather

Best of luck and up the Republic!

Joaquín
15th Apr 2002, 10:58
He skeet,

I think Spain is not such a bad idea. I know a place in Cordoba (nice VFR) where they train for the PPL: I only know the prices for renting and I can tell you that they're quite cheap.

Mail me if you want more info ([email protected] )

FRIDAY
15th Apr 2002, 19:35
In respons niall and to FL395 who asked this on a previous post and who also seemed to get his knickers in a twist with me for some reason or another , I shall add my words.
As said on a post (Florida FTO's) there was only three FTO's named as those able to provide jaa training, But there is plenty more advertising or claiming that they will offer you a jaa license.

But on websites and in plenty a magazine you will see that there are plenty more FTO's offering jaa training.
Of the top of my head these are some of them Britannia / International flight training / European flight training /
Naples flight centre / Western michingan.
If niall you just plan to go for a ppl and hours maybe imc/ night you should have no problem when you come back to europe all you might need to do is a checkride with instructor in irish airspace, possible an RT oral exam and as far as I know thats it.
Of course as before I am open to critism and no doubt some one will slam me on my attempt to help. :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

FRIDAY
16th Apr 2002, 18:33
So how are those other FTO's allowed to advertise for jaa approved flight trainning, Could someone in the know please point out this dicrepency or is it something I am missing.
The like's of EFT and International flight trainning, britannia and a few others are offering the jaa ppl, and eft and ift are offering jaa approved modules fo cpl/ ir, although portion of ir is sat in the uk. According to them on the phone they are fully approve and there should be no problem with licencing on return to europe.
So who's bull ****ting.

niallcooney
16th Apr 2002, 21:25
Well if it's true that only 3 schools are JAA certified that's extremely worrying. False advertising all the way! At least I'm getting my foot in the door of my dreams! Thanks for the advice guys, try not to be so negative 395... ;)

Niall

notice
16th Apr 2002, 23:10
Good question from Friday. Most advertising and aviation is full of bull**** and lies so I prefer to believe the CAA, who have given us the same answer...........

X, OFT & Euroflyers are the only ones the CAA approved for JAA PPL .

Shanks
17th Apr 2002, 08:36
Niall,

After comparing your 2 profiles, I'm wondering who is the more negative ;).

I think 395 was just offering some polite advice mate!

Anti Skid On
17th Apr 2002, 10:13
Niall how old are you - I suspect younger than me and the likes of WWW. You have time.

In my opinion it is all about timing - deciding when it is best to go -the Gulf War totally screwed up my plans! Exchange rates are a biggie - you quote 10000Euro's - compare that to something like the South African Rand seexe.com - best exchange convertor I've found (http://www.xe.com) - that's about 100K rand. Unfortunately the schools there seem closely linked to the US$, but if you paid up front you might save a bit. Check out Progress flight academy (http://www.flightacademy.co.za/article1.htm) who give a figure of ZAR70K for a CPL and 13K for a PPL. Here in NZ a PPL costs about NZ$6-8K - you'd get NZ$20K for you euros.

Don't jump in too quick - have a plan of what you are going to do and how you will survive. With a PPL here you can do Sky Dive flights and glider towing ratings are cheap too - think of all those hours you can build (and if your under 28 you can get a 1 year visa for about £30)

FRIDAY
17th Apr 2002, 17:08
I think I may post a new topic asking my previous question to see if I get more replys as this seems to be confusing to more then just me. watch this space.

niallcooney
18th Apr 2002, 13:41
Anyone know anything about this Progress school? Any experiences of flying in South Africa? Conversion costs? Website is excellent, accomodation included etc... but only 7000 euro for a CPL/IR? Impossible, even if I could see it for myself! Although I'd gladly spend a couple of years in SA to accumulate the sacred Flying Hours. Thoughts? Comments?

FL395
28th Apr 2002, 01:37
Hey you never did tell me what O2FO means???
I heard of atleast 2 guys who went down to SA to a school called 45Air i believe and got their CPLs.
They were there for 2yrs but STILL had to come back and do hours in Ireland to convert to an IAA national licence.
The thing is if you go to SA and come back where do you then want to fly to finish/convert your ticket???
If you say Ireland then you need to talk to the IAA to find out what hours etc they'll accept towards the grant of a JAA CPL but there are no JAA approved schools here sooooo you'll probably have to go to the UK...or some JAA approved country.
You'll have to do all the ATPL exams and see if they grant you credit for the hours done outside of the JAA states so my advice is go to whatever country you are going to do the latter and get in WRITING what you will need to do once you come back.
There's no point in going if they are only going to give partial credit for your hours.....you can ask and everybody here can give their own answers but the CAA are the only one who will give you THE answer....:cool: :cool:
Aren't you supposed to be gone by now???
Well if so i hope it's working out...