PDA

View Full Version : Wireless internet connection doesn’t

jimtherev
11th Dec 2012, 08:42
Computer: HP XW6200 running XP Pro
Network adaptor: Linksys Wireless G USB with speedbooster.
Router: AOL Wireless.
Narrative:
Daughter recently has a massive redecoration and decidedto go wireless. I installed a wirelesscard I had in the comeinhandy box and all worked ok, if a bit slowly. Until her students...

“You really don’t have to pay to download movies, miss;just use this clever little program...”

You can guess the next bit, which resulted in a phonecall requesting help. Long story short,we got the machine running after a fashion, but internet connection slow toflaky. Then internet connectioncompletely failed about 10 days ago, and I called last weekend.

- Ran Ccleaner, including deleting a number ofunidentifiable progs which were ‘run at start’;
- Ran Malwarebytes
- Removed the internal wireless card and connectedand installed the Linksys.

Computer can see the router and claims 60-80% ‘efficiency’,depending on adaptor position,
Router communicates with internet: my tablet had anexcellent signal & speed, BUT,
Computer cannot see internet.

I know (after the event) that I should have taken a lappyand an Ethernet connector to talk to the router, but didn’t. So, absent that, is there anything I cansuggest the lass does, since I can’t visit again until after Christmas? I’m stumped.

Saab Dastard
11th Dec 2012, 09:02
Check that the IP settings for the HP XW6200 are correct.

IPCONFIG / all - copy and paste here, if possible.

Is it fixed or DHCP addressing?

To check IP stack:

Confirm from ipconfig that address, subnet mask, gateway and DNS servers are correct. If IP address is 0.0.0.0 or starts 169, DHCP isn't working.

Ping 127.0.0.1, if OK then ping own IP address, if OK, ping gateway (router), if OK then ping known external IP (e.g. 4.2.2.1), if OK then ping external hostname (e.g. BBC - Homepage (http://www.bbc.co.uk)).

Tell us where it's breaking down.

SD

PS - when it's all working, lock it down and take away admin rights! :E

jimtherev
11th Dec 2012, 11:29
Thanks, SD. I tried the ipconfig stuff - computer won't tell me anything: pretends ipconfig doesn't exist. So all the rest is silence :ugh:. I must confess that this had me very puzzled.

maxell
11th Dec 2012, 12:04
Is Winsock xp fix still about that might sort it

Max

Saab Dastard
11th Dec 2012, 12:10
pretends ipconfig doesn't exist

Looks like the TCP/IP stack is borked.

Unistall and reinstall.

But it sounds like you would be better off with a system restore (if available) or better still a clean re-install of the OS.

SD

jimtherev
11th Dec 2012, 16:09
But it sounds like you would be better off with a system restore (if available) or better still a clean re-install of the OS.

SD
Yup, I reluctantly came to the same conclusion before I left her, but would have avoided this if possible, hence my enquiry here. System restore would prob. have to go back two months, and that just ain't available: I checked. Too much b***ering about has been done before I arrived on scene. So it looks as tho' reinstall may be the only option left.

Only thing is, 'tis a preloaded 'academic' version of XP with no backup CD; while I do have XP pro I wonder if a reinstall would accept a non-academic product key. Hmmm

Thanks, anyway.

Saab Dastard
11th Dec 2012, 17:00
Do you mean "would a standard XP pro installation accept an academic license key"? I assume you have the license key on the physical CoA on the computer.

Do you have any installation media? If so, is your XP Pro media version Volume, OEM, or full retail? Upgrade or Full?

Have you tried a repair from your XP CD?

SD

Milo Minderbinder
11th Dec 2012, 19:15
the "Academic" XP install is probably a volume licence version and neither an OEM or retail disk will work with it.

However there may be a way round is as long as the winsock files aren't actually trashed

download and run two programs
first LSPFix
run it, select all in finds and delete the settings
then run Winsockfix XP
If the files are there that should reset the Winsock settings
Good idea to set the windows (or other) firewall to defaults after

you can get these two gems from
LSPFix LSPFix - CNET Download.com (http://download.cnet.com/LSPFix/3000-2085_4-10417026.html)
(use the direct download link - NOT the "downloader enabled" linl

Winsockfix XP
|MG| WinSock XP Fix 1.2 Download (http://www.majorgeeks.com/WinSock_XP_Fix_d4372.html)

ONLY USE THESE ON XP, no other version of Windows
and use both, one after another. They don't work on their own

If that still won't work, try this fixit tool -
How to determine and to recover from Winsock2 corruption in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, and in Windows Vista (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259)

jimtherev
11th Dec 2012, 21:48
Gentlemen, thank you. Prob is, I'm here in Derbyshire; daughter in Stockport, and it's run-up-to-xmas time, so best part of a day out of my life ain't practical just now. I'll prob ask her to bring the box down with her when she comes for Santa Special day, and we can get it back to her after Christmas.

Meanwhile, I'll copy and paste the suggestions given.

the "Academic" XP install is probably a volume licence version and neither an OEM or retail disk will work with it.
(Thought someone would say summat like that, MM; suppose I could buy an XP license if wuss comes to wuss...)

Mike-Bracknell
11th Dec 2012, 22:01
does the machine actually have an XP licence cert on it?
Whats the exact wording? Just thinking - the Uni may have put a VLK licence on it, but the machine should still have orginally come with an OEM licence sticker, and you should be able to use that with an OEM disk

KeyFinder | Magical Jelly Bean (http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/) will find your existing XP key.

All you'll need to do is to ensure you have a media CD from which to reinstall.

jimtherev
12th Dec 2012, 08:44
Added to me notes to look at when I have the machine, Mike, thanks.

Booglebox
12th Dec 2012, 15:33
Firstly, as I am typing this on an XW6400, I salute you. They made computers properly back then. :cool:
IMHO, trying to fix a copy of XP that's been messed about with beyond a certain point becomes not only economically not viable, but just unfeasible, especially when dealing with crucial guts of the OS. Even if it starts to work again, it'll never be quite the same.
If you install XP again right on top of the existing installation, it should keep your documents / stuff, while working properly. You will probably have to re-install your programs though.
Activation using the automated telephone system invariably works, if you lie at the relevant prompt. Good luck!

Milo Minderbinder
12th Dec 2012, 21:21
"If you install XP again right on top of the existing installation"

do it from WITHIN windows as an in-place upgrade

if you trying booting from a CD and overinstalling, things are very likely to get badly interesting

jimtherev
12th Dec 2012, 22:48
if you trying booting from a CD and overinstalling, things are very likely to get badly interesting
Wot, even more badly interesting than now?
(Don't answer that)

maxell
12th Dec 2012, 22:55
I have used this (http://www.informationweek.com/windows/operating-systems/langa-letter-xps-no-reformat-nondestruct/189400897) with success in the past.

Max

Milo Minderbinder
13th Dec 2012, 01:42
Max

thats the method which can go badly wrong.....
The repair disk needs to be of the same type as the original installation: ie XP Home disk on an XP Home installation, Pro on Pro. If you use the wrong version it either won't install - or it will wipe the user profiles
For that matter, if the partition table or MFT is in anyway damaged, then that will also result in the loss of data - even though it appears to be repairing the drive.
Besides which, programs will get orphaned because their DLL files get zapped,and their registry integration lost. Internet Explorer will may stop working because you've just overwritten it with an older version. Any registry damage will NOT be repaired, and theres a good bet that any viruses which are flying around will still be there.

You should only really use that technique when you are stuck for time, and when theres a real imperative to get the machine working temporarily. Once you've used it, you should back the files up and reload the machine at the earliest opportunitty.

Besides which, if you use the technique on a Windows XP machine that uses SLP activation, then the activation string on the hard drive gets wiped and windows refuses to boot. It also won't allow you to activate, not even in safe mode. Sometimes you can work round it by installing Internet Explorer 7 or 8 in safe mode (which in itself isn't supposed to work), rebooting and hoping that you can then activate windows.........

Seriously, its really something to be avoided except in desperation