PDA

View Full Version : Working opportunities for wife in Dubai

Dutch250
10th Dec 2012, 10:18
Dear EK pilots,

Since I am carefully considering EK I was wondering what the job opportunities would be for my wife in Dubai.
We only would consider it seriously if she can work in dubai.
She definately doesnt want to sit in the villa all day while I am at work.

The adverts claim working for the wife should be no problem.
But I would really appreciate some real-life input from pilots already flying for EK.
My wife has excellent qualifications in nursing btw.

Thanx in advance.
regards

Plazbot
10th Dec 2012, 14:21
Unless your wife is taking a pretty direct job with her old western employer and was already senior/well paid, it is rare to see more than 10K/month. Many employers love the idea of a husband sponsored staff member but do not make up the rent/school/medical that a single package would see. Many otherwise ethical companies in the west become immoral assholes here.

bcgallacher
11th Dec 2012, 06:26
JAARule - I think that the racist terms - 'flippers' etc have no place here - other foreign nationals are in Dubai for the same reason as you - to make as much as they can. If your home country cannot employ you at a decent rate dont insult others with terms such as ****hole.

Dubaian
11th Dec 2012, 07:41
bcgallacher+1 - I saw the posting before the Mods acted.

Trust JAARule has been reprimanded if not banned. The gist of his post was correct but it was very nastily phrased. Other posters have said much the same thing about expats working in the UAE medical field. We've lost nothing of any value from the modding.

bcgallacher
11th Dec 2012, 14:18
Pleased that I was not alone in finding JAARules post objectionable - Dubai of all places should have no room for racism.

fatbus
11th Dec 2012, 14:59
" Dubai of all places should have no room for racism"

You haven't spent much time here. One of the most racist places on the the planet.

Desert Dawg
13th Dec 2012, 05:25
@ fatbus

+1

Kernow 101
13th Dec 2012, 08:58
Can she work under the EK visa?

Not sure, but its worth checking. I would have thought no, and then she would have to be sponsored by her new employer.

bcgallacher
13th Dec 2012, 14:59
Fatbus - I have spent quite a few years in DXB,going back over 20 years and agree it is an extremely racial society.With the number of ethnic foreign communities totaling more than 80% of the population it should be no place for racism. Either I expressed myself badly or you misunderstood.Our friend with his "flippers" and "jinglies" shows just what the place is like.

NGFellow
16th Dec 2012, 09:08
Residence visa's given to family members will clearly state "NOT PERMITTED TO WORK." However, since the employee (you) is essentially the sponsor for your family members, you have to issue a NOC (No Objection Certifcate) to your wife allowing her to work. Employers will low ball the pay when someone is a dependent, as they know they are on your package for housing and benefits.

bcgallacher
7th Jan 2013, 01:17
Your hangover must still be affecting you as you appear to be unable to comprehend my second post.