PDA

View Full Version : BTInternet Broadband. Any good.?

BRL
14th Apr 2002, 19:11
Hi all. I just ordered btinternet broadband plug-in system....any one got it ? is it any good.?

FL310
14th Apr 2002, 19:50
aisleman....bring what you need, the beer is already in the fridge, and install it now....:( :( :( but you have to bring the cable as well as BT will not provide it for anyone out here:mad: :mad: :mad:

WhiteSail
14th Apr 2002, 20:08
Pipex is probably a better bet for anyone else of thinking of this service.

It is cheaper each month.

There is no setup charge.

You don't have to buy your modem through Pipex. For example, I have just bought an ADSL modem for a little over £60, and if you want to go to the trouble of researching compatable modems in the US, you can do better than that.

If your motherboard is a VIA chipset based board, you could have driver problems with the Alcatel modem. No such problem with alternatives. On the same subject, you may need a USB powered hub to make the modem work if your MB lacks enough USB power output, or you are running other USB devices at the same time.

On the positive side, it flys!

FL310
14th Apr 2002, 21:47
aisleman.....the connection from this area to the rest of the world.....we got fibre here, the very modern stuff, BT keeps telling us that it is not capable for DSL :mad: :mad: :mad:

Unwell_Raptor
14th Apr 2002, 22:10
I have no complaints about Pipex ADSL. I chose them because I just don't trust BT after the way I was lied to over the so-called Anytime service that turned out to be nothing of the sort.

mindstorm
15th Apr 2002, 09:02
Pipex got my vote as well. D/loads at 50k.
I'm on a VIA chipset so went for PCI modem from DSLsource. So far very good.

fobotcso
15th Apr 2002, 09:03
Sharing Broadband?

Question:

In spite of BT sayng that Broadband can only be used by one PC, can you share the connection on a LAN using one of the PCs as a Gateway? Not trying to cheat here, just share the bandwidth.

I do this using Deerfield's Wingate on my Home Highway/BT Anytime setup. The speed is adequate for everday use. For downloading large files, I wait for a quiet time when only one PC is logged on.

Although I've not used Win2K's connection sharing, I imagine that the same would apply there.

WhiteSail
15th Apr 2002, 09:27
Broadband will work exactly the same on a LAN as a normal connection.

Don't let BT bull**** you into believing anything else.

SpinSpinSugar
15th Apr 2002, 13:54
Yes, there is no reason why you can't run connection sharing and use one PC as a router. I have no problem with this solution on my setup.

If you have more money you can actually buy ADSL routers, but there's not a lot of point for a home LAN.

Pipex also get my vote - However - can any tecchie sort out there confirm/deny that although the connection is 576k/sec, there is an artificial cap of 64k/sec of concurrent downloads due to the identification of the Alcatel USB modem as an ISDN device?

Still awesomely fast thought :D

fobotcso
15th Apr 2002, 22:04
Thanks

idgas
16th Apr 2002, 00:21
I'm using Force9 home user self install, £58 set up plus cost of USB modem and excellent support 24/7 by phone or through their web site for £22.99/month (UK that is) .

So far I've I used them for dial up, ADSL, web hosing with no problems..

Plus I can connect my Laptop, to the internet, through my local network and access both PC's at the same time with no hassle (XP Pro & WIN 2000)

See

Force 9 (http://www.force9.net)

Cheers, :)