PDA

View Full Version : RS811a wx radar King Air 90

Oxeagle
8th Dec 2012, 22:37
Evening All,

Could anyone who has experience of the RS811a weather radar fitted to the King Air 90 series tell me what the correct vertical tilt setting is to paint weather at the same altitude whilst in the cruise?

Many thanks,

Adrian

Richard Westnot
9th Dec 2012, 00:44
I think you will find that it is O degrees. If it is like the RDR160 is has -15 degrees - + 15 degrees in the tilt, roll and pitch.

NuName
9th Dec 2012, 05:18
I am not familiar with this specific box but, I would assume that it is pretty much the same as all the others, i.e. the further the range = more beam spread. It aint no laser so you have to do the math.
I have no idea why the a in laser tried to emulate a email address!

:cool: it did it again :confused:

ClanDes
9th Dec 2012, 06:56
Try this Oxeagle
The answer to your question will require a bit of research and reading on your side. First of all, you will have to find out what size weather radar antenna is fitted to your aircraft. The RS811a has either a 10 or 12 inch radar antenna which will generally (unless stated otherwise in the manual) give you a radar beam diameter of 10° (for 10 inch antenna) or 8° (for 12 inch antenna). If the radar tilt is still assembled correctly (i.e. with the tilt controller set to zero the middle of the radar beam is level with the altitude of the aircraft) you will need to move the tilt controller up 5° (half the beam diameter) for the 10 inch or 4° for the 12 inch antenna. This will place the bottom of the radar beam to paint at and above your current altitude (NB: with STAB ON).
BUT all is not that simple - To check that the Tilt Controller is set correctly (and to understand how to use it), I suggest you read up on how weather radar works and google the following thereafter – Threat Identification Procedure (TIP), Height Evaluation Procedure (HEP), Surface Analysis Procedure (SAP), Magic Radar Formula (brush up on your 1/60 rule) and then read up on radar return analysis and, very importantly, on RADAR SHADOWS. All the above is not too difficult once you get into it but is a MUST READ. It will increase your Situational Awareness when operating in weather (especially at the altitudes the King Air 90 operates at) and may aid you in avoiding the proverbial farm.
First speak to your CP (he should know) but if you have problems getting it then PM me and I will try to help but it is very difficult via text. TILT CONTROL on weather radars is a MUST for all pilots. Safe Flying :ok:

Oxeagle
9th Dec 2012, 14:40
Thank you all for your replies, especially yours ClanDes - exactly what I was looking for :ok: