PDA

View Full Version : Little Darlings

MacroPolo
8th Dec 2012, 06:05
Was SLF on CX135 to Melbourne on Thursday night.

First signs of it being a less than pleasant experience was when walking down the air bridge for final security check and confronted by 50-60 Caulfield Grammar (Melbourne, Victoria) students making one hell of a racket, yelling, carrying on and banging on the sides of the air bridge.
Wasn't surprised that the AVSECO staff were too afraid to say something, so they continued unabated.
Boarded and went to my allocated seat in the rear section, only to be steadily engulfed by what can only be described as an undisciplined rabble.
Students and teachers alike wandered around the aircraft well past the scheduled departure time, all wishing to change seats etc.
The lack of supervision by the couple of accompanying teachers was astounding. They were asked several times by cc to take their seats but basically couldn't care less.
I have never seen so many passengers become agitated enough to ask to change their seats and move further forward. Many locals were visibly shaken by the rude and aggressive nature of the students whose total lack of respect seems to be the norm from Australian tourists these days.
Even once eventually seated, the noise was incredible and I defy anybody in the rear section to have heard ANY of the safety announcement.
I managed to extricate myself after getting airborne so am not sure how the poor sods left in the back faired the rest of the flight.
Just wondering, at what point would the Captain come back and speak to the (pathetically weak) teachers and/or students? Surely the safety of the flight is jeopardized when nobody on board can even hear the cabin crew or safety announcements.

Feather Boa
8th Dec 2012, 09:05
Jizz

You're a wa#ker

The poster is new and describes himself as SLF.

Of course he has no idea of op's or procedures. FFS!!!!!

Fx

MP.. it's really the Cabin Crews call, if they are not happy with what is happening down the back, they advise the flight deck.

On the ground, it's possible a flight deck crew member may go back but not allowed once airborne.

Fx

TomU
8th Dec 2012, 09:15
Thank you FB, I was going to reply, but you put it so much more eloquently!

But I am still curious...what are these procedures referred to (if not the simple act of turfing the offending people off the aircraft)?

goudie
8th Dec 2012, 09:22
I do empathise with Macropolo. Had a similar experience, flying back from the States with BA. A large group of French people of all ages came on board at LAX. Probably teachers and students also. They blocked the aisles, were very noisy and kept swapping their seats around. My wife and I were seated amongst them and it was most uncomfortable. During the flight they were wandering around chatting loudly to each other. The CC didn't seem to take much notice either.

Feather Boa
8th Dec 2012, 09:26
TomU.. a pleasure, dont mention it.

In an ideal world, opening the door and turfing the people off would be perfect, but, then...

I cant go into details as it will give ammunition to those that are disruptive, suffice to say it causes delays and believe it or not we do all in our power to avoid those.

must go, a dinner date

Fx

MacroPolo
8th Dec 2012, 09:42
Thanks FB. I did wonder if a flight crew crew member would be allowed to come back after departure.

Jizzmonkey- you are 100% spot on! That is why I asked!

I was fairly disappointed that the less senior girls at the back didn't at least get the ISM to come back and have a word with the teachers. Otherwise the situation was starting to get a bit ugly with individual passengers looking like taking matters into their own hands.
As far as being ambassadors for their school when in public, I think they just trashed Caulfield Grammar's reputation.

nitpicker330
8th Dec 2012, 10:25
If was on the flight I would have made a PA something along the lines of "sit the f*** down and shut the f*** up".

White None
8th Dec 2012, 12:26
Don't believe you....

rick.shaw
8th Dec 2012, 12:49
Got to say it too. Jizz - what an arrogant tosser thing to say. His first post, describing himself as SLF and asking a reasonable question and you just can't help yourself. Jeez - no wonder some people have a bad opinion of pilots.

bigjames
8th Dec 2012, 14:38
well the school has been named and shamed. maybe that will wake up some ppl.

but i have seen deplorable behaviour in the front of cx and other well know asian carriers. it happens a lot.

i personally wish every human alive would have to attend basic ground school to learn about situational awareness. most ppl lack that, whether in the air or not...

Cumguzzler
8th Dec 2012, 16:05
I was one the same flight and I didn't see anything out of order. Maybe the original poster were just having a bad day??

MacroPolo
8th Dec 2012, 21:21
I didn't imagine it Cumguzzler. If you were in Business or Prem Economy I daresay you wouldn't have realized what was happening in the back section.
Back in the 60-somethings it was mayhem.

AnAmusedReader
9th Dec 2012, 02:24
Why don't you drop a line to the school principal and tell him/her?

SMOC
9th Dec 2012, 02:43
Apparently appalling childish behavior put on you tube works. :}

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=chinese%20woman%20meltdown%20cathay%20pacific&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDIQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DLZ7lI6Ic9cw&ei=kQjEUKDsCeSfiAeFoIDICA&usg=AFQjCNH2Mjkku_YXBou9SdW4Q1uy4fu4Yg&bvm=bv.1354675689,d.aGc

A37575
11th Dec 2012, 11:03
but not allowed once airborne.

What is the problem with the captain going down the back and showing command responsibility rather than cower behind the terrorist proof door and pretend it will all go away. Thre is a wealth of difference between the captains of the past and the wimps in the left seat now. I recall one captain from 25 years ago who shirt-fronted a bunch of rowdy footballers at Port Vila when he saw them walking towards his aircraft. He left his seat and charged down the stairs and held up his hand and read the riot act to them while the other passengers boarded. He then permitted the foot ballers to enter the aircraft and there was no trouble during the flight.

I realise that after 9/11 the aviation world changed. But noisy school kids? surely they weren't too much of a threat.:mad:

China Flyer
11th Dec 2012, 20:43
A37575,

I hear you loud and clear!

Sometimes I sit in the seat, squirming with embarrassment, feeling de-sexed and futile, while some poor 21 year old girl tries to deal with a pax issue that could be resolved ever so quickly with me putting on my hat and walking down into the cabin!

Our company regs are very clear about this - we are simply not allowed to get involved.

While the aircraft is on the ground and the doors are open, well, that's a different issue altogether.

Beta Light
11th Dec 2012, 23:35
Marco Polo.
Sadly it's not a unique event. Walk through Tung Chung mall or D.B. Plaza. Look at the kids behave and you will see in about 5 minutes which kids have stay at home moms spending time with them, and which is the kids of the small town girls who married a pilot and sit around the coffee shops in gym outfits sipping latte's, chatting about their bad business class experiences, while the helper is on duty 18 hours a day.

Every time I get upset by those brats I realize they are not to blame, and the helper is doing best she can with the kids discipline.