PDA

View Full Version : EK on time push, the Bell Curve & talking Ed

fliion
7th Dec 2012, 10:07
Well, well, well...just when you thought the hangover of the talking Ed emails had disappeared for good....just when you thought we were finally being left to our own devices to get on with the push & start (is it ever us ?????)... Just when you thought that mgt & particularly JA & TCAS keep themselves sufficiently in the background....we get what will surely be forever known as the 'Bell Curve' email.

Is silly time back?

Tut, tut, tut...where to start.

Jack Welch who ran GE in the booming 90's believed in bell curves, in fact he loved them because it showed who were the bottom 10% when it came to bonus time and performance review. He decided that the best way fwd was to fire the bottom 10% every year...and boy did it work. The problem is his teams fundamental foundational objective was to make $$$$. Our fundamental foundation is to protect passengers lives, while mgt make money (and get paid handsomely for it - which is perfectly fine BTW)

So we now have a situ where there will be an incentive not to be in the bell curves bottom "15%"....after all who wants to get a phone call from a member of the "top 15%" with "pointers" and 'techniques.'...."eh WTF are you talking about - we were on C gate with no dispatcher Einstein"

Guess what, there will always be a bell curve....but the danger in our job in being cognizant of this abstract pressure is to cut corners and violate SOPs

As to the science behind the "curve", well lets just say wifey is preggo and you want night turns to India to be in town (418 for me thanks ; > ) then is the profile of the roster you bid more prone to C gate parking? Will being an A380 crew with the constant boarding of 500+ cause you to be part of the "curve" crew.

Who knows....but Jack Welch wasn't stupid either...he would have used the Bell Curve alright If he were at EK ... just in the right direction.

He would have examined the gate crews...figured out the 10%...and left the Safety People alone.

Respectfully,

f.

Saltaire
7th Dec 2012, 12:02
Well said Fliion. Shockingly bad idea. Welcome back to the 1970's folks. Sorry, just let me release the park brake and we can talk about this threat based briefing and I'll do my PA.

Are 777 pilots more productive and "on time" flying 900 hours a year, but only 5 flights a month with 15 days off, than the 330 pilots that slave away for 700 hours a year, 8-10 flights a month with 10 days off? How many unloved 330/340's are parked out in charlie god knows where? Ever been early on a 380 departure at 10am? Any specific flight profiling, fleet, training, CRS or bid group seniority considerations? Never mind.

Just when we thought all the really bad ideas and internal management "threats" were behind us. Ed are you there?

BYMONEK
7th Dec 2012, 15:01
What's amazing is that the pilots already give over 20 minutes free time to help with the ontime effort of departing the ivory towers.

BigGeordie
7th Dec 2012, 17:25
We don't give it, it is taken from us. And it is usually more than 20 minutes, especially if you include the time taken getting back from the "C" stands, once all the passengers are off.

halas
8th Dec 2012, 05:52
I love the freighter :ok:

No one gives a sh!t ;)

halas

helen-damnation
8th Dec 2012, 12:48
Especially on the 380 :E

halas
8th Dec 2012, 16:34
My point exactly! :hmm:

halas

PositiveRate876
8th Dec 2012, 17:11
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eeERNzIaww

Sonny Hammond
8th Dec 2012, 17:39
Funny vid.

Saltaire
9th Dec 2012, 02:22
Great video. I remember hearing about these japanese "pushers" at the train stations to get the doors closed.

LongLander
9th Dec 2012, 13:23
This smells like another red herring designed to be shown to the top of the food chain to demonstrate that "something is being done."

It is hard to credit that they authors really believe a captain is only RtG on average 36% of the time. Sounds like the fault of the training dept!

So how do they determine when a delay is due to the captain? Are the FOs keeping secret notes? Have they installed spy-cams? Nothing would surprise anymore. I suppose they are relying on the dispatcher's notes - and the dispatchers would NEVER lie!!!!

It made for amusing reading though.

VijayMallya
9th Dec 2012, 18:26
Why am I getting the feeling that soon enough talking about EK will be banned on pprune :bored:

gehenna
10th Dec 2012, 04:54
I really hope I am one of those Captains to get a call from the CP asking how I achieve such a high proportion of on-time departures. It would be such a disappointment not to be in the top echelon !!!!!!!

What a load of old rubbish; as if we can herd passengers from the duty-free and coffee shops.

:ugh:

Plank Cap
10th Dec 2012, 06:44
My colleague and I were 20 minutes late pushing the other night to one of those lovely destinations about 3 hours east of DXB. He and I were all done with the preflight prep at about -10 minutes, but were unable to go because of no-shows at the gate. These no-shows had baggage spread through multiple underfloor containers.

Very tempted to ring up the memo originator and ask in to which line of statistics we would be recorded, and whether his top echelon of ontime performers could offer any helpful advice! But as it was the middle of the night, seemed a little unfair disrupting our hard working management's sleep patterns......

desertcamel
10th Dec 2012, 07:51
I always document the delay on my VR, that includes the timings. Time permitting, i also call ops. And not to forget, the "EKDR" door delay/push codes.

be on guard, dont let them disturb you on your daysoff.:ok::ok:

falconeasydriver
10th Dec 2012, 13:20
Quick note on the VR and the obligatory ACARs msg :ok:

Russell Kaymer
10th Dec 2012, 14:03
What are the critical issues that score/subtract points? If it is just purely time rolling v time scheduled then you guys are farked.

The Turtle
10th Dec 2012, 20:47
now there's an idea.....we all hammer ops +1 minute late, stepping on top of each other like the clearance delivery days

imagine a revised memo shant take a week.......

glofish
12th Dec 2012, 06:11
Unfortunately I couldn't be bothered about their memo, about whatever any groundstaff or other puts down as reason for delay, or what any useless chairmonster wants as a delay report they don't trust and alter anyway.

The statistics are from the useless to please the untouchables who themselves couldn't be bothered either.

I take it as normal that my position strives to make on time departures.
Basta!!

You want to give me some useless tips from behind the front?
I couldn't be bothered any more.

But bring'em on, it will make funny reading material on those longhaul nights.

helen-damnation
13th Dec 2012, 01:33
Can't help thinking there's a lot of hot air going on here.

If the doors aren't shut then it's not our problem as the reason is not in the flight deck.

Once they are shut, sending the ACARS message for the delay covers anything unless you're specifically the reason. If you are the reason at that stage, it'll be a good one (runway change/tech etc) in which case, who cares.

Is there a code for a 380 delay while you wait for the VIP rope to use the loo :}

falconeasydriver
19th Dec 2012, 05:56
What boggles the mind is the sheer effort and expense of such a system of data collection, exposing the lengths to which they will go to maintain the sinister undertone - instead of engaging those in the workforce who are claimed to be being pivotal to on-time performance.

Sinister undertone..WTF? Its easy, it takes 15 seconds..take note of when you get on the jet..when you are ready...and then when everyone else is done.
Unless you have 14 MEL's and a drunk scouse hosty being offloaded, we are, on the 777 at least, ready 15 minutes before the off in any case.
Then and only then will the powers that be figure it out.

harry the cod
19th Dec 2012, 06:33
Ready 15 minutes before........? Really? I thought we could only get ATC clearance 10 mins before departure. Probably wrong as usual. :uhoh:

Harry

single chime
19th Dec 2012, 12:42
Harry, you don' t have PDC on your jet?