PDA

View Full Version : Nauru aerodrome question

alphacentauri
6th Dec 2012, 22:38
Hi all,

Currently preparing some documentation for Nauru aerodrome and have a question for any pilot/s who may have been out there recently.

I am trying to work out the location of the T-VASIS at each end of the runway. I found a pic on google showing that on a RWY 12 approach the T-VASIS is on the left side. This is standard location and I have no reason to dispute this.

I cannot work out which side the T-VASIS is on from the opposite end. The standard is to put it on the left, but there is not much room on the left side between the runway and beach. Can anyone confirm which side the T-VASIS is on?

Thanks all

Alpha

compressor stall
7th Dec 2012, 00:11
On the left. Usual spot.

Fuel availability is your bigger concern.

edit - you can see where it is on google earth but it doesn't look like a VASIS. Just short of the 1000' markers where there are three boxes close together in a bit of an arc and another yellowy spot. You can see the "high" lights clearly though. There must be some picture blurring or other phenomenon where the onslope lights are.

Tee Emm
8th Dec 2012, 07:04
If landing on Nauru be careful of the VASIS light indications. In the old days it was common to have un-cut long grass in front of the boxes and this often led to erroneous visual glide slope indications. Same with VASIS light globes unserviceable. Kids with catapults used to break the globes inside the boxes. Hopefully VASIS maintenance has improved since then.

Many years ago, a B727 landing on runway 30 at night came in very high although seemingly on correct slope. Touch down was well in and it was only with absolute max braking the 727 pulled up right at the end. There is no over-run safety area - only a cliff full of boulders. Turned out the VASIS was defective because one fly-down box was completely u/s. A black hole night approach made it almost impossible to pick a missing box.