PDA

View Full Version : ATA Ferry Pilot Handling Notes

Genghis the Engineer
14th Apr 2002, 15:56
I wonder if somebody can help.

During WW2, the ATA were responsible for ferrying aircraft of all types around the UK. To aid them in this, they had a set of notes which summarised each type's limitations and handling qualities on about 2 sides of kneeboard card per type.

I've seen a set (covering most allied types), belonging to a friend who was a lady ATA pilot, and I believe that they've been republished by somebody in the not too distant past. I'd like to get hold of a set, but can't seem to find anybody who sells them.

Can anybody help? Ideally I'd like to find an online or mail order retailer, but failing that a shop in the South of England or Midlands.

Thanks,

G

Unwell_Raptor
14th Apr 2002, 19:45
Some years ago, I read a book by an ATA pilot, Lettice Curtis. She had, I recall, over 400 types in her logbook, and was often called on to fly a new type after 30 minutes to look round the cockpit. Remarkable times and remarkable people.

Feather #3
14th Apr 2002, 21:17
Genghis,

Give the editorial staff at Aeroplane Monthly a call. They ran a whole series of "Fly by ATA Notes" on various a/c. They could put you in touch with the author.

G'day :)

Lu Zuckerman
14th Apr 2002, 22:19
Genghis:

Here is a start.

FLYING WARTIME AIRCRAFT By Hugh Bergel

ATA Ferry Pilots' handling notes for seven World War II aircraft. HC, 193pp, illus., pub. 1972, David and Charles, mint in dust jacket. Price: $36.00

DOC.400
16th Apr 2002, 17:42
i beleive that a book of ATA Handling Notes is available at White Waltham airfield -01628 823272 (home of the ATA!!)-e me if u have any probs getting them.

DOC

Genghis the Engineer
17th Apr 2002, 10:30
Thanks Doc, I may use that as an excuse to fly over for lunch this weekend.

G

DB6
17th Apr 2002, 22:25
I bought a set last month from the Yorkshire Air Museum at Elvington. There's a note inside saying they were actually republished by the YAM, ISBN 0 9512379 8 5. Website here (http://www.yorkshireairmuseum.co.uk)

Genghis the Engineer
18th Apr 2002, 14:32
Uncanilly DB6, a non-Pprune contact just told me exactly the same thing, and I've just ordered a set. Many thanks everybody for your help.

G

DOC.400
18th Apr 2002, 14:34
Just checked with WLAC -none in stock but they can get hold of them -from Littice Curtiss.

E me if u go Sat Genghis, I hope to be flying from there Sat -ALL day. Where should I go????

DOC

DB6
19th Apr 2002, 21:14
Glad to be of (simultaneous) help. If you haven't been to Elvington it's WELL worth a visit, and while you're in the area you should drop into Breighton as well, some great stuff in their hangars (Buchon, Hurricane etc.)

Genghis the Engineer
24th Apr 2002, 09:02
Courtesy of a very helpful lady at Elvington's museum shop, I now have a copy, thanks chaps for your help. Cost was £11.90.

I'm afraid that my weekend flying turned into a trip to the Sunday fly-in at Compton Abbas, which was thoroughly entertaining due to an 18 knots south-westerly. Only saw one crash (a Europa that went off the side of the runway, nobody hurt) but plenty of entertaining landings and take-offs, including my own!

G