PDA

View Full Version : Can't access Router settings.

750XL
6th Dec 2012, 12:35
Been having a lot of problems with our internet recently and now the internet doesn't work on certain, constantly requiring us to restart the router or the device.

Now, my iPhone 4S won't connect to the internet at all and is just constantly 'loading' while all other devices are working fine in the house.

First question: Is it possible that there is a 'limit' to the amount of devices that can be connected to the router? We are a family of 4, with occasional guests / girlfriends etc all using the router. At a rough guess we probably have 10+ devices running off the router.

Second problem: I used to be able to access the router settings page by typing 192.168.1.1 into Firefox/Internet Explorer but now that no longer works, it simply goes to 'page cannot be displayed' as it would with a dead website etc. I want to reset the router to factory settings (by pressing the button on the box) but I'm afraid I won't be able to access the router settings again if I do this, to set up the router again.

Any help would be appreciated, it's driving us mad :ugh:

mad_jock
6th Dec 2012, 12:45
If you do a full reset it will reset the lot and any security you have on it and will come up with the type name on your list of networks unsecure. Then set it up again.

Its sounds as if its goosed so even if it doesn't work nothing lost just get a new one.

I suspect though once you have reset it, it will be fine.

M.Mouse
6th Dec 2012, 12:53
Have you changed your router since last accessing its settings? The IP address of a router is often the one you quote but they do vary a bit by make. A quick Google search will reveal the correct address for yours should this be the case.

Saab Dastard
6th Dec 2012, 13:05
Is it possible that there is a 'limit' to the amount of devices that can be connected to the router?
No - you may see a degradation in performance over a wireless network due to contention for a limited resource, however. The same is true for the internet uplink.

SD

750XL
6th Dec 2012, 13:11
Bit the bullet and reset the router, put in 192.168.1.1 and it worked fine, woo :ok:

Thanks for your help :cool:

Milo Minderbinder
6th Dec 2012, 18:00
sometimes routers "hang" a connection - the router thinks its live, even though its not, but because the router thinks the connection is still live, it won't allow another connection from that MAC address. Rebooting the router should clear that - you shouldn't need to reset it.

However what I have seen happen a couple of times is where the router runs out of IP addresses to serve by DHCP. I've only seen this in busy locations like pubs and B&Bs where a lot of different machines connect transiently. If it happens its a fault of the router (the addresses should release, but don't) and on those occasions I've had to reset the router to get access back.
It takes a lot to push a router that far - depends on how its set up, but most have the full .255 IP range - so 253 connections

mad_jock
6th Dec 2012, 22:52
Or some fanny has been at it and set the DHCP lease for a week which I suspect is a cunning ploy by some support companys to get a call out fee every week.

Booglebox
7th Dec 2012, 19:37
I too have seen DHCP run out of addresses, at a well-frequented home of a friend with a rarely restarted router. I just assigned myself a random IP that wasn't in use. :cool:

I have also had a similar problem with a (Netgear) router - constantly had to be restarted. Wipe to factory settings solved the problem.

Saab Dastard
7th Dec 2012, 21:01
DHCP? Bah!

Static addresses is the way to go! :8

Set up your laptop(s) as DHCP, but with an alternate static config, that way you can get DHCP when out and about, but static when home.

SD