PDA

View Full Version : Locking aircraft?

Shagpile
5th Dec 2012, 09:50
I'm just trying to find the legal requirements for locking an unattended aircraft. I'm sure somebody here may know.

I hear you have to have two locking methods, but cannot find this written anywhere. The most I could find was this document explaining that if you have a cover you need a sign on the outside saying it's locked. The rest doesn't specify any examples.

Locking aircraft (http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.infrastructure.gov.au%2Ftransport%2Fsec urity%2Faviation%2Flegislation%2Fresources%2Fdoc%2FAircraft_ Locking_Devices.doc&ei=8CO_UK2FMMOiigftn4GICw&usg=AFQjCNG5dieeNfIPWDppXye3gwSMxNyEbQ)

Anybody know ?

Wunwing
5th Dec 2012, 10:16
Its in the security regs but don't have them with me.
From being audited all you need is normal locking door + locking of flight controlls or throttle.
The organisation that I'm with use both methods and DOT Security auditors were Ok with either
Wunwing

VH-XXX
5th Dec 2012, 10:19
Throttle / Mixture / Prop lock as a minimum so that the engine can't be started. Door locks if fitted should be used.

Seems that keeps the DOT guys happy (as mentioned by WinWing)

Was at Avalon when they were checking and didn't seem to have any issues with the standard Cessna type mixture lock or similar with the standard crappy Cessna door locks.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
5th Dec 2012, 10:24
So, what do you reckon the deal might be for, say, a DH-82A, Tiger Moth....

Inside a hangar, or a canvas cover if left 'out' overnight...??

Just curious is all....
:ok:

Lasiorhinus
5th Dec 2012, 10:36
Just take the propeller home with you, and you'll be right.

VH-XXX
5th Dec 2012, 10:39
So, what do you reckon the deal might be for, say, a DH-82A, Tiger Moth....

Inside a hangar, or a canvas cover if left 'out' overnight...??

Custom throttle lock? If a cover is fitted, it must have "aircraft anti-theft device fitted" patch (available from DOT for free). It's about not being able to start it.

fujii
5th Dec 2012, 10:51
Another post with everyone having a different opinion. Read the regulations.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/transport/security/aviation/legislation/resources/doc/Aircraft_Locking_Devices.doc

VH-XXX
5th Dec 2012, 12:21
Would you care to enlighten us on your interpretation of the requirement for locking Fujii ?

youngmic
5th Dec 2012, 14:51
DH82 meets the requirements if it has been immobilised in some manner.

A good example might be to remove the starter motor ;)

MakeItHappenCaptain
5th Dec 2012, 15:26
Or clamp the tailwheel?:E

fujii
5th Dec 2012, 16:48
XXX

I use the interpretation that suits me. You'll see that the document uses terms such as "should" and "recommend" which aren't compulsory so I had a simple throttle lock made. The regulation won't stop anyone who is intent on stealing the aircraft.

I also made a sticker which I have stuck on my plane along the lines of: steal a truck as you don't need flying training, can carry more explosive, easier to position and will do more damage. When the Commonwealth games were due in 2006 the AFP visited all the airfields around Melbourne to check aircraft security. One of the officers was amused by my sticker and photographed it to show in his work canteen.

Another amusing facet is that the patch they supply is red and fades very quickly.

Dora-9
5th Dec 2012, 18:26
A good example might be to remove the starter motorStarter motor? DH82?

Sunfish
5th Dec 2012, 20:36
Fujii:

When the Commonwealth games were due in 2006 the AFP visited all the airfields around Melbourne to check aircraft security.

And just in case an aircraft did succeed in getting off the ground while the Queen was opening the event there were Three Frigates in Port Phillip at action stations. One was anchored off Portarlington, another at Station Pier (the emergency getaway vessel) and another anchored off Brighton. If you succeeded in an unauthorised takeoff from YMMB, you would not have got past Albert Park except in very small pieces. Coming from the West you would not get past Avalon. I assume the F18's were for covering the northern approaches. Then there were the helos and SAS at Laverton.

MikeTangoEcho
5th Dec 2012, 22:55
A good example might be to remove the starter motorStarter motor? DH82?

Wow that went straight over your head didn't it..

Jabawocky
6th Dec 2012, 00:26
Or clamp the tailwheel?

Or simply install a tail wheel :E

Trent 972
6th Dec 2012, 02:16
Other methods to secure a DH82 include, draining the coolant from the radiator, putting lockable chocks on the upper wing ailerons, and after use, placing the fuel tank out of reach, on top of the upper wing.

MakeItHappenCaptain
6th Dec 2012, 02:26
Wow that went straight over your head didn't it..

Bit of that going around, eh?

Wally Mk2
6th Dec 2012, 03:07
An appropriate sticker would be "please take as once you do I don't own it anymore":E
Locks are for honest thieves!

Wmk2

Ex FSO GRIFFO
6th Dec 2012, 04:10
Re the DH82....

Thanks guys and gals,
Yep, oi think it went over for some...

Oi'll not be reporting to the hospital to have me left arm removed...

Now we wait for.."why the left arm"??

:}

Oh, by the way Trent, have taken your advice....it seems to sit up there ok....

Gulfstreamaviator
6th Dec 2012, 04:12
Many examples of big aircraft being taxied/flown without permission.

In UK many years ago I was asked by a nutter (not P.C. but w.t.heck) how to start the PA31 next to me on the apron at London Gatwck. I told him to go to the big building behind him and ask at the desk for the keys to G-XXXX he did, and in the police station they made him a cup of tea, and let him sleep overnnight.....

Most Piper Aircraft keys were also Ford Motor car keys so one or two keys opened everything.

Them was the daze.

glf
level 4 Engliski

Frank Arouet
6th Dec 2012, 09:13
The DH82 hd an "Armstrong" starter from memory, however all that aside;

If a cover is fitted, it must have "aircraft anti-theft device fitted" patch (available from DOT for free).

If a cockpit cover is used, it must have on the inside, "Remove before flight".

True story.

27/09
6th Dec 2012, 18:32
You poor Aussies, your security requirements are a bit over the top.

Even in the land of the free where all this security BS started the security requirements are no where near as stupid as you guys have to put up with.

Australia, the land that has perfected bureaucratic nonsense!!!!!!

Thankfully if ever I fly a ZK registered aircraft to Aussie it doesn't apply to that aircraft. I can tell the nice DOTARS people where to go and how to get there. :ok:

MakeItHappenCaptain
7th Dec 2012, 03:53
So why are you all trying to work over here?:}

Thankfully if ever I fly a ZK registered aircraft to Aussie it doesn't apply to that aircraft. I can tell the nice DOTARS people where to go and how to get there.

Don't think you'll get away with that when it comes to ASICs. Now aren't they supposed to mean we don't need to lock aircraft?:rolleyes:

27/09
7th Dec 2012, 07:49
why are you all trying to work over here?

No not all of us, the majority of us are quite happy on the east side of the Tasman.

Don't think you'll get away with that when it comes to ASICs.

I do believe an ASIC not required either for foreign pilots flying foreign reg A/C.

Sand dune Sam
7th Dec 2012, 07:56
I'd love to see that one... A Kiwi with a big mouth shoot it off to a DOTRS officer....now I wonder who would come off second best... The guy that could deny you access to your aircraft... Or the Kiwi with his chest all puffed out and walking with a big land of the long white cloud swagger!! Bahahahahha...:ugh:

VH-XXX
7th Dec 2012, 08:18
Did you hear the one about why there are no NZ actors in the Star Trek series?

It's because they won't work in the future either....

Ex FSO GRIFFO
7th Dec 2012, 10:11
Mr X,

The perfeck 'GOTCHA'......

:}

TonKat
7th Dec 2012, 21:44
At the end of the day .............. locks are for the honest people.

As others have mentioned the requirement states for the prevention of starting - the only way for this to effectively occur is to disable it somehow.

Who are we concerned about here :hmm:

Sunfish
7th Dec 2012, 23:49
I'm not sure a pilot would know how to use a battery powered angle grinder - so the aircraft are safe if the throttle is locked:}

Eljay
8th Dec 2012, 00:03
Just remove the Maintenance Release. Everyone knows that you can't fly an aircraft without one. Problem solved.

metalman2
8th Dec 2012, 01:51
A good example might be to remove the starter motor

They really need a 'like' button here!

MakeItHappenCaptain
8th Dec 2012, 03:03
I do believe an ASIC not required either for foreign pilots flying foreign reg A/C.

Yeah?....I know of one WA port of entry that was on the verge of sending four foreign aircraft elsewhere due to no ASIC and DOTARS auditing at the time.

Putting up with the bureaucrap still marginally beats needing a C150 "endorsement".:E

Scion
9th Dec 2012, 06:34
Our DH89 had a sign on the entry door which read,

This aeroplane is imobile, The elastic band has been removed.

Casa were happy as the particular field officer had a sense of humour and he knew the archane proceedures we had to use to get the darn thing started at all.

Tinstaafl
9th Dec 2012, 07:00
Wouldn't a chain & padlock to a tie down meet the requirements? Damned convenient if you already use chains to tie down the plane. Just add a padlock to it.

thorn bird
9th Dec 2012, 10:58
Saw a Baron up at longreach with one of those wheel lock thingies on the nose wheel.
Big sign in the window "security device fitted to this aircraft"
and underneath " Key to security device in glove box"

Shagpile
10th Dec 2012, 06:27
OK I'm still not 100% sure whether you need 2 locks but I went and bought a $20 padlock for the throttle anyway:

http://ozrunways.com/email_images/lock.jpeg

You get the choice between mixture full-lean and idle, or mixture full rich and full power.

What a terrorist needs to do to steal my plane:
- Get a license [tailwheel endorsement, constant speed]
- Cut the canopy lock.
- Drag the aircraft out onto the main runway, lined up.
- Set mixture-full rich, throttle full open [this padlock too hard to break easily]
- Hot-wire the starter. No impulse couplings = no hand start...not that you would do that at full throttle anyway (terrorists aren't that stupid)
- Call ready and get a takeoff clearance *before* starting [this is important or you'll get a fine, with strict liability and all these days].
- Start the engine and keep her straight down the runway with 290hp. That's right rudder timmy terrorist - look out the front and let your feet do the work.

VH-XXX
10th Dec 2012, 06:58
What is your aircraft type there Shaggers? 290 is a fair Waco of grunt!

Shagpile
10th Dec 2012, 07:38
Ah, F1 Rocket - can't claim building it though. Only a new acquisition a couple of weeks ago. IO540 by Aerosport power with a few tweaks to make it go faster. Terrorists beware the fuel bill.

Frank Arouet
10th Dec 2012, 07:53
I hide a key on the oil dipstick. Done so for 47 years and never had an aeroplane pinched.

I guess that's illegal today?

VH-XXX
10th Dec 2012, 08:31
When I built my aircraft I fitted central locking with remote and a car alarm (didn't fit an immobilizer in case it went wrong mid flight!!)

It was seriously one of the best features of the aircraft particularly given that it had three doors. The alarm was also handy. It never ceased to amaze me how many people would always try and open the door of my aircraft for a closer look. Very bad practice and quite disappointing that people would do this. Look wih your eyes and not with your hands I say. It also had a motion sensor hooked to the strobes, nav and landing lights. Very handy, there's nothing worse than having to use keys to unlock multiple doors. I used to enjoy setting off the warning chirps remotely as people lift up their hands for the token check of the instruments through their hand made looking-glass.