PDA

View Full Version : Direct Air Darwin

Stationair8
3rd Dec 2012, 05:41
Talk amongst the Mitchell Street latte set is that Direct Air has gone bust.

The Green Goblin
3rd Dec 2012, 06:37
Wouldn't be surprised.

Their flying school arm has gone bust, and without the feed of stooges paying squillions for their instrument rating and 'icus', it was only a matter of time.

The bills would have finally caught up with them when the staffs credit cards got maxed :cool:

Sympathy to the staff. Not a nice feeling when you lose your job. Especially if you lose a bucket load of cash too.

PLovett
3rd Dec 2012, 08:00
It was a great place to work when I was there despite some of the hassles and gave more than a few a good start in aviation. If it has gone bankrupt then the fallout among the directors will be devastating and I am not talking just about the directors unless there has been a change of ownership in the last couple of years.

The Darwin operation was a gold mine for a few years and despite a few hiccups along the way could have continued as such. However, I have heard that there were problems not entirely due to the operating environment in the NT. The charter operation was never dependent on the training arm or the steady stream of MECIR/ICUS from there.

I wondered about the health of the company when I recently saw an advertisement for a chief pilot given that the fellow who occupied that position when I was there was one of the best I have met.

tweekey
3rd Dec 2012, 08:40
Interesting times up in darwin thats for sure!

SpyderPig
3rd Dec 2012, 11:19
Interesting times up in darwin thats for sure!

Indeed, not to drift the thread but surprised no one was mentioned that Hardys have lost their IFR and RPT approvals pending retesting of key staff yet.

Have a friend at Direct air, sad for all the crew involved. Here's hoping they can all land on their feet somewhere soon:ok:

Flying Bear
3rd Dec 2012, 18:30
Re Hardy's - Rule #1 of Fight Club is...?

Seriously, I imagine that the challenge a CP faces is finding adequate time to maintain personal flying proficiency when having to deal with all the other administrative matters that get loaded onto them... Made doubly hard when your structure does not have an "alternate" CP. I'm sure Greg will work through it.

Re Directair - given their directors have a long history of not paying bills and ignoring creditors, I wonder if those they owe money to will get some success from the administrators. I guess "pay for ICUS" scams only get you so far...

SpyderPig
3rd Dec 2012, 20:34
Bear:
I can imagine the issues a CP would face in a company that size and agree it would be hard to maintain the standard required. It's not a job I'd ever like to take on that's for sure.

I was just surprised that no one had mentioned it as it was on the ABC news yesterday.

I am sure it will be sorted shortly. Hardys do a lot of vital work for the island communities around Darwin am employ a large number of people. I'm sure it will right itself quickly. :cool:

AussieNick
3rd Dec 2012, 22:35
This is probably a dumb question, but anyone know if their Engineering arm is going to go under as well?

Subversive1
3rd Dec 2012, 22:46
Airline grounded after pilots fail test - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-12-03/airline-suspended-over-pilot-qualification-issues/4404630?&section=news)

Hardy's not going well at all.

Are they still operating pax charters or is the whole thing grounded?

seneca208
3rd Dec 2012, 23:07
Flightaware still shows some of their aircraft flying about.

Subversive1
3rd Dec 2012, 23:12
Civil Aviation Safety Authority - Hardy aviation operations restricted (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_101274)

Anything IFR?

Horatio Leafblower
3rd Dec 2012, 23:21
Just wait - this is the first blow in a battering from the Authority, still stinging from the recent Senate hearing into PelAir.

They have to show that despite the implications from PelAir they are still tough on the big operators.

I hope I'm wrong - good luck Hardys.

Up-into-the-air
4th Dec 2012, 00:05
Good luck Hardy's

This appears to be like another AirTex operation by casa.

Suspend Chief Pilot = Operation on the ground.

Senators please note - Is this get even and to show casa's right arm.

flying-spike
4th Dec 2012, 02:42
It is a poor situation when at least one of the other pilots (especially T+Cs) can't step into the position in the interim. Is he being undermined by the wet season exodus? I hope they get themselves out of this situation quickly.

SpyderPig
4th Dec 2012, 03:28
All hardys call signs I have heard last few days have been VFR, even the C441s. I'm surprised that they don't have a dept CP being that size. They are looking for a new HOTAC on afap also so maybe it's a dual role considering they are offering up to 150k for the gig.

Frank Arouet
4th Dec 2012, 05:03
not paying bills and ignoring creditors

If CASA used this as cause for action in any way, they may be making decisions based on "commercial" values. Their role is safety, No?

I smell a RAT.

Flying Bear
4th Dec 2012, 05:22
In Directair's case, I don't believe that CASA had anything at all to do with why their doors are shut.

Something about "stop credit" with the refueller and can't (won't) pay the staff probably indicates more the reason behind their (possible) demise...

On the face of it, the verdict on CASA for Directair would appear to be "Not guilty, your Honour...".

However, I have read in depth about Directair's recent challenges in the Court regarding charter vs RPT, but that has been asked and answered by those charged with making our laws. I fail to see how CASA could possibly have acted based on commercial issues with that, or any other, Directair issue.

You are right, though - CASA's primary role is to act in the interests of air safety (this is enshrined in the Civil Aviation Act) - but there may be a whole litany of self-identified "secondary" roles, as we have seen over the years!!

PLovett
4th Dec 2012, 09:10
A friend of mine worked at Hardy's until recently as C & T as well as flying the C441 and Metro. I believe it was his job that was advertised. It doesn't surprise me that there are problems since his leaving as he was constantly been called on to fill in on short notice. Even if you are an aviation tragic as he is that would get tiring.

As for Directair, the training school and engineering shop were all run as separate entities so the closing of one does not mean the closing of all although that might depend on how they are closed. If it was through a creditors application for bankruptcy then that might close the lot but not otherwise. I have my suspicions as to how its problems arose but I am not going to say further on an open forum.

Unregistered User
4th Dec 2012, 09:22
Frank, You are quite astute in more ways than you may realise……..:sad:

To make Hardys operate VFR for whatever reason, is a decline in safety.

Did CASA complete an RA for that? I doubt it. They are, in them majority, a bunch of First Class ********.

anomaly
4th Dec 2012, 10:50
I heard one of Hardy's conquests depart IFR out of borroloola this afternoon. Ops normal?

LM82
5th Dec 2012, 00:34
Who gives a crap about Hardy's get back on topic.

as for DAC....the management of this joint has been running it into the ground for years so no surprises from these c*nts. I dont know many of the current staff except for the sb pilot who is a champ! the original DAC Darwin crew (05-07) are the best bunch of guys/girls i've ever worked with and thankfully they are all long gone. I only know of one pilot who got one up on DAC regarding money and got a free endo out of it but unfortunately everyone else got screwed one way or another.

wasnt there some people who didnt get paid there super either?

I hope ewe dog comes out unscathed.....top guy and it would be a shame if he got dragged down with these f*cks!!!

Mach E Avelli
5th Dec 2012, 05:22
If they were not paying staff superannuation they were probably trading insolvent. Set the dogs on the directors. GEERS won't recover your super, so you have to be quick and quite aggressive to have any hope of getting it - assuming that there is any money left, that is.

ZappBrannigan
6th Dec 2012, 11:21
LM82 has pretty much mirrored what I'd always heard about DAC. I met most of the guys from 2009-11 era... Don't know any of the guys there now except for the current (I suppose former) SBP.

Really good bunch of guys, and I always heard it was a great place to work, with the usual few GA complaints, and nothing but brilliant things to say about the CP, who I've heard is still there. But also heard the same old rumours about not paying bills, problems with students in Melbourne, etc.

All the best to the guys/girls affected.

California111
6th Dec 2012, 12:56
Re Hardys, these guys are huge, I have recently left as a pilot however the time and effort the family and people in main roles in both operations and C&T put into this place are why they are so good. There has been a few changes over the past year in the managment structure maybe this is why no deputy cheif pilot was made, engineering has been expanded and more managers put on, a new hanger is being used to support the large fleet. One of my friends was brought in as a check and trainer along with a few others at the start if the year to help with new pilots. The operations dep has a new younger ops manager that has generated a lot of work and brought up moral. Andrew Hardy has moved into a more senior role.

Hardy's employee a huge range of engineers, buy the best aircraft (im sure as pilots we have all seen the new flash 441's arriving) and most of the pilots they employee are highly experienced. They pick up the slack when all the other airlines in Darwin need a crosshire including the big operators like Airnorth. tell me how much would the NT Goverment be charged if hardyaviation got closed and the main competition in Darwin was Gone?

CASA's focus on them has put a downer on things, but given they are still flying non stop VFR shows there clients are not concerned. Sounds like a few people at CASA in Darwin have a bad taste in there mouth from previous experiences to me... Hope they get over it

BreakNeckSpeed
6th Dec 2012, 19:03
Are you for real?!?!:ugh:

If Hardys is such a hot topic of discussion, why not start your own thread?

Any update on what's happening with DirectAir?

Horatio Leafblower
6th Dec 2012, 23:37
Sounds to me like nothing is happening at Direct... which is why everyone is talking about Hardy's.

There is a certain old C441 in SW NSW that was the center of some controversy over a number of years. Is this related to DAS's demise?

morno
6th Dec 2012, 23:44
Are you for real?!?!:ugh:

If Hardys is such a hot topic of discussion, why not start your own thread?

Quote:
Any update on what's happening with DirectAir?

Obviously there's not much more to be said about Direct Air. What are you looking for? Someone to stab in the back or lay blame on? A business has gone south, not the first time it's happened. So get off your high horse and if someone wants to discuss other issues in Darwin, then who cares.

Some people need a kick in the head every now and then, :rolleyes:.

t303
7th Dec 2012, 04:53
If they were not paying staff superannuation they were probably trading insolvent. Set the dogs on the directors. GEERS won't recover your super, so you have to be quick and quite aggressive to have any hope of getting it - assuming that there is any money left, that is.

Sorry, but the dogs are toothless. Been there (RR Moore & Co/ Eastland Airlines) didn't even get the t-shirt. The administrator (who is only there billing out hours until the money runs out) even found evidence that the directors were likely hiding assets. Ended up arguing with ASIC's lawyers; they are not intersested in prosecuting the directors unless there are some press kudo's in it for them: eg HIH and Onetel. Have it from an investigation supervisors mouth that they have no desire, nor compulsion, to prosecute unless they think it is worth THEIR time! The ar$eholes that run these enterprises into the ground know that they will never face any consequences. What pisses me off even more is that if you were employed as a contractor you would write it off as a bad debt; as a PAYG taxpayer: tough sh*t! The ATO is criminally negligent as they refuse to enforce their own legislation to collect the super (but are first in line of the creditors looking for their cut). I believe that one of the directors is/was working for a certain large LCC in Aus. Another bailed a short while before the crash to attempt to distance himself from the mess and ensure he kept his mansion on the coast. They slither amongst us! :mad:

Mach E Avelli
7th Dec 2012, 07:52
T303 that is true once a company has gone into liquidation. But non-payment of staff super while still trading is a scam that can be controlled if a few take early preventative action.
For example. On a recent gig, the usual super payments were shown on every payslip. After the usual three month cycle I checked my super fund. Nada. The bloody accountant did not even know what my super fund was, even though I had supplied full details. He later admitted that he had scribbled it down on a post-it note then lost it. He was also quite candid about them not paying super because they had other more pressing matters! Like fuel and airport charges to keep flying. So..... I gave them two written email warnings and notice that on the third strike they would be out. When they still did not pay it, I got the ATO on to it and am now getting the super drip feed - as are the other staff I believe. This company has not yet folded, and some may claim that heavying them like that has only worsened their finances. While some do genuinely get into trouble through circumstances like terminated contracts etc, with some people not paying bills and entitlements is almost a religion. A certain person who is well enough known in these forums comes to mind. Even when he could afford to pay, he didn't. It was like he got out of bed each morning with a plan to screw someone - anyone. The ends that he would go to are almost legendary. Like sending false copies of bank transfers by fax, or transferring money to an account then somehow doing a reverse transfer a minute or two later.
If they are not paying your super, these bottom feeders are stealing YOUR money. It is up to employees to get heavy before it is too late, even if it is the final nail before the receiver comes in. Too bad, let them get out of aviation and run a trinket stall at the markets. Where they will learn basic economics, i.e. what you sell must bring in more than what you are obliged to pay out. If you think that your job could be on the line - if they are unable to pay your super, they are going broke so all your action will do is perhaps accelerate the process by a couple of months.
And yes, it is about time defaulting thieving directors lost their houses and did a year or so in the slammer. Make a few high profile examples and watch the rest of them take their responsibilities a bit more seriously. The compulsory super scheme is a farce and the pr!cks know it.

pilotchute
8th Dec 2012, 07:50
There you go LM82, a thread all about Hardy Aviation!

PLovett
8th Dec 2012, 08:30
Given that the website is still up and running (but there is no reference to Darwin there) can someone clarify whether the company has either;

1 closed its doors (ceased trading voluntarily); or

2 gone bankrupt; or

3 closed its Darwin base.

For those casting aspersions on salary and superannuation payments I can only comment that when I worked for them from early 2004 to end 2007 they never failed to pay me on time either salary, expenses or superannuation.

ZappBrannigan
8th Dec 2012, 14:57
California111, I wasn't totally convinced after your full page advertisement for Hardy's. Maybe another 9 paragraphs will convince us they're the Gods of NT aviation, and can do no wrong.

As for Direct... This is 3 degrees of separation away from the horse's mouth , but I got it on very good authority today that they're over. Nil money, no chance of recovery. Hopefully for the pilots and staff this will be proven wrong.

PLovett
9th Dec 2012, 02:37
Quote:
For those casting aspersions on salary and superannuation payments I can only comment that when I worked for them from early 2004 to end 2007 they never failed to pay me on time either salary, expenses or superannuation.
Speak for yourself.

I was. :ugh:

Horatio Leafblower
9th Dec 2012, 05:34
So who are the administrators?

Mark & Mark?

JetA181
9th Dec 2012, 06:10
Does anybody know if NTAS were operating under DAC's AOC?

Horatio Leafblower
9th Dec 2012, 17:52
ASIC Website has no details of administration or anything else...

Continental-520
9th Dec 2012, 20:05
I was one of the '05 guys. They were good to work for, lots of fun, hours and a great springboard for the next gig, but like most GA outfits, the owners were sharks.

What's the qualifier this time? I seem to remember the rumours of Direct Air going bust were around the traps basically as soon as they started up in Darwin. :zzz:

Hot High Heavy
10th Dec 2012, 02:57
Amazing that Direct go bust, Hardys get grounded and a certain other operator on the Northen GA side of the field just keeps on 'trucking' seemingly unaffected by it all.

The word ironic doesn't seem strong enough to describe the situation. :mad:

4SPOOLED
10th Dec 2012, 03:13
AF seem to have outlived just about everybody!

ZappBrannigan
10th Dec 2012, 12:13
Hot High Heavy, if you're referring to a certain operator in the NW corner of the GA... Watch this space.

kingRB
10th Dec 2012, 13:47
Does anybody know if NTAS were operating under DAC's AOC?

Considering they have stopped operations at Alice it would appear so.

pilotchute
10th Dec 2012, 21:02
NTAS jumped from Austjet's AOC to DAC's AOC earlier in the year. Funny because as soon as this happened the work seemed to dry up for them.

tweekey
11th Dec 2012, 08:40
Zappbrannigan, what operator are you referring to?

ZappBrannigan
11th Dec 2012, 11:53
Should have been more specific with my directions, I meant NW corner of the Darwin GA apron. I.e. AV8.