PDA

View Full Version : Why oh why oh why . . . . .

oicur12.again
30th Nov 2012, 21:16
. . . . .do the FAA ask such STUPID questions on the ATP exam.

It is 1950's stuff. I hold an ATP in 4 other countries making this FAA test my fifth such exam.

I have two issues with this exam.

Firstly, who cares how much performance as a % is lost when a "light twin loses one engine".

Secondly, why is this examined at ATP level? Does the relevance of this (pointless) information change according to your license level?

This question is just one of the many examples of how the industry is a joke. Most of the ATP study is rote learning of pointless irrelevant information. It doesn't make pilots better or safer, it just robs them of time that could be better spent on more useful information.

Rant over. Sorry to waste your time!

Now, its back to studying the speed difference between dynamic and viscous hydroplaning! Like I give a #$@! during touchdown!!!!!!

Schoolflight575
30th Nov 2012, 22:53
I can also feel sometimes that we need to learn stuff which we'll never get in use. especially in the subject radio navigation.
But my opinion is that it's quite good to have knowledge about the two questions you got. Keep on studying and I wish you luck!

westhawk
1st Dec 2012, 00:55
I haven't witnessed such whining about a silly knowledge test since...

Well since....

Oh yeah, not since I was studying for the FAA ATP myself back in 2000!

Some things just don't change I guess. I recall feeling much the same. Just get er done, move on and forget about it as best you can.

westhawk

fernytickles
1st Dec 2012, 01:30
Be thankful you are not a helicopter pilot studying for the CAA ATPL written & having to learn all about mach meters..... :confused:

Check Airman
1st Dec 2012, 03:43
While I debate the usefulness of the FAA exam, I'd rather do that than the 14? JAA papers that expect you to know how to build a VOR.

Durban
5th Dec 2012, 08:51
I've sat ATP exams in five countries (including the JAA exams) too, and it's my opinion that the US ATP exams were the most sensible of the lot.

MarkerInbound
5th Dec 2012, 10:56
Because the people writing the test questions have to understand the subject matter and, well, you can tell where this is going.

Just be glad they're past "When Undertaking Very Hard Routes, Keep Direction By Good Methods."

SV_741_India_Bravo
5th Dec 2012, 14:40
Check Sheppard Air (http://www.sheppardair.com/atp.htm)

90% guaranteed on the ATP.

oicur12.again
12th Dec 2012, 02:30
Check Airman, good point. JAR box is ticked. What a joke.

Durban, agree. You ever worked in Singapore? Holy crap that stuff is pathetic.

The point being, the FAA should be much better. And so should CAA,CAAS,CAD,CAAC etc.

jtr
12th Dec 2012, 03:46
Suggest you don't have a stab at the Japanese ticket then

Zapatas Blood
12th Dec 2012, 15:56
its a steaming turd but its not as smelly as the others. poor argument.

its still a steaming turd.

FAA = more outdated than most think.

oicur12.again
9th Jan 2013, 00:42
sv_741 india bravo,

Does the Shepard Air download include every exam question you could expect to see? Or are they just examples?

Regards

PS blood not so boiling now. calm blue ocean calm blue ocean

darkroomsource
9th Jan 2013, 07:09
"there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers"

who cares what percentage power is lost when one engine quits? - the people in that plane, they might not care about the actual number in a percentage, but they certainly care how much power is lost.

Sarcasm off...

I've seen a few tests in a few countries. In my opinion, the tests in the US are designed to make you a better pilot, the tests in most other countries seem to be designed to make you a better test taker.

zondaracer
9th Jan 2013, 08:53
Sheppard air constantly updates their questions and the program downloads the updates. You will have a pretty complete database and you won't regret going with sheppard.

pilotchute
9th Jan 2013, 08:56
Darkroom,

I have to agree with you there. I have completed the Australian ATPL exams and what you say seems very true. I simply memorised loads of stuff and when the exam was done I just data dumped it and moved onto the next one. None of the questions seemed relevant to the day to day operations of an airplane.

I recently did some online FAA ATP exam questions and I must say they seemed much more relevant. Questions about what you can fly with what class of medical you hold seemed more relevant than the Australian questions which seemed to focus more on knowing what colours are on a TCAS screen. When I get into something with a TCAS I as sure my employer will make sure I know how to use it. He on the other hand is going to expect me to know what type of medical I need.

Abbey Road
10th Jan 2013, 16:07
From SV_741_India_Bravo's link to Sheppard Air:
Don't worry... unlike other test prep programs, you won't be disappointed by finding 25 questions on your FAA test you've never seen before... we won't let you down... we guarantee it.

If "unlike other test prep programs" only Sheppard Air has all the questions, then it sounds like someone in the FAA is passing the questions directly to Sheppard. Could that all end in tears sometime?

Dynasty Trash Hauler
10th Jan 2013, 19:58
The FAA exam is like the other ATP exams and theory I have done in my 40 year career. Totally theoretical and mostly unrelated to the real world.

Especially in flight planning,w and b and perf. Having to interpolate as fine as 40lbs difference in fuel burn to get the correct answer in a 727 burning 8000lbs/hour is not only pointless but negative training. Landing dist calcs the same, countless questions that test your ability to thumb a calculator and interpolate that would get you into trouble in the real world.

crazy stuff.

Zapatas Blood
11th Jan 2013, 00:00
faa atp is simply a memory test.

jsfboat
12th Jan 2013, 16:28
I'm using sheppard air, worth the money. I'm taking the ATP written next week so I can upgrade in a few months. It's not that bad, just memorize the test, get it done and then concentrate on what you really need to know. I have reccurent next month and Im also studying for that.

flyboyike
13th Jan 2013, 11:25
Serenity now.

Rotorhead1026
13th Jan 2013, 22:04
If "unlike other test prep programs" only Sheppard Air has all the questions, then it sounds like someone in the FAA is passing the questions directly to Sheppard. Could that all end in tears sometime?

Abbey, FAA questions became available thirty plus years ago under FOIA. That changed recently, and some of the exam questions for lower ratings are no longer publicly available. However, this has yet to reach the ATP exams. Eventually, though, all the test preps will sport "typical" (rather than actual) questions garnered in part, no doubt, by the grilling of recent test-takers. For now, though, all is kosher. :)

Dream Land
14th Jan 2013, 07:34
I remember a couple of questions on the CAA Air Law test, like what direction is the traffic pattern when there are two orange balls hoisted on the mast, or in case of radio failure, how many flares do you throw out of your aircraft.

Very relevant, lol. :ugh:

oicur12.again
14th Jan 2013, 14:47
Yep, Singapore too. Deploy a red parachute flare is the correct answer. And in Hong Kong, exam question of "what is the correct cost of a log book issues by CAD"

pathetic.

ironbutt57
29th Jan 2013, 06:00
oicur12.again.....dont know what airplanes you fly or intend to fly, but those questions you complained about might be relevant in your future operations...

victorc10
30th Jan 2013, 09:39
How exactly will knowing the % performance lost on a light twin help? If you lose an engine you will know about it, knowing the above will not help you, knowing what to do....might save your life!!

With hydroplaning....yea all good to know about it..what are you going to do though? ahhh looks like we are hydroplaning...hmmm is it dynamic or viscous...what speed are..were "900m" we "300m" doing Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Abbey Road
30th Jan 2013, 18:38
Rotorhead, fair enough. But that just makes Sheppard Air's claim all the more unbeliveable:

Don't worry... unlike other test prep programs, you won't be disappointed by finding 25 questions on your FAA test you've never seen before... we won't let you down... we guarantee it.

If "... For now, though, all is kosher"(and by that I assume you mean that all such training organisations have access to all the questions) how can Sheppard Air claim to be the only organisation that won't disappoint? It is symptomatic of so many shallow claims when advertising this stuff. 'Only we can give you ...' or 'We are the best' or 'You won't find this anywhere else'. Ultimately, it's bovine manure, isn't it? :ok:

jsfboat
31st Jan 2013, 01:59
I used Sheppard Air, got a 95% on the ATP written when I took it Monday, so it works as advertised provided you study how they suggest to study.

Dynasty Trash Hauler
20th Feb 2013, 19:41
"dont know what airplanes you fly or intend to fly, but those questions you complained about might be relevant in your future operations..."

17000 plus of military and airline flying and I have never known or cared about the difference between 2 types of hydroplane and although I understand that an engine out in a twin is a serious loss of performance, when the throttles are at the stops with max EPR and we are at best speed engine out and in balance, knowing a % loss of climb is irrelevant.