PDA

View Full Version : Introductions and acquaintances

Susie 152
30th Nov 2012, 19:20
Hello,

I am working on obtaining my PPL. I have a couple more exams to take and I'm waiting for the weather to be favourable for taking my qualifying cross country.

I have been flying for nearly a year now but because of when and where I fly, I have not been in a position to meet any fellow pilots. I know pilots are a friendly bunch and wondered if anyone could point me in the direction of where to go/who to talk to.

I am looking really for somewhere (club/forum/group etc) where I can start to meet fellow pilots and gain some knowledge and share experience of others.

I live in Newark, Nottinghamshire but would happily travel (Lincolnshire/ Leicestershire/ South Yorkshire) and would be interested in a few pointers if possible.

I am keen to gain experience and happy to share costs if you have an empty seat.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Please contact me through the forum or Tweet me @SusanNewark

Winhern
30th Nov 2012, 22:51
Try keeping an eye open on here & 'the other side' for fly-ins - a good way to meet a bunch of pilots & have fun as well.

taybird
1st Dec 2012, 09:09
Susie

Leicestershire Aero Club has a good reputation for the social club environment. There are lots of pilots at all stages of training and lots of "buddy" groups form amongst the newer pilots.

Thursday night is themed night, usually curry but sometimes something different. Tuesday night used to be ground school night. I'm not sure if it still is, but there's still a social gathering on Tuesdays. Weekends there are almost always plenty of people around, particularly over lunchtimes, unless the weather is completely diabolical.

PM me if you think you might want to visit and I'll arrange to meet up with you, if you'd like to.

thing
1st Dec 2012, 21:11
Hi Susie, my airfield is about 20 minutes up the road from you, give me a PM if interested.

goodmand1
2nd Dec 2012, 09:17
Hi Susie, Caunton airfield is a very active microlight club right on your doorstep - not just flex-wings but a number of fast, modern 3-axis planes that will amaze you if you've only experienced traditional GA types.
Again, just PM me if you'd like a look round.

banditb6
2nd Dec 2012, 18:24
Can second Leicester Aero club, Thursday night is curry or pie night and they do night flying on thursdays so always pilots about to go and have a chat to, friendly mixed bunch on the whole. Fairly casual and relaxed, just pop down and say hello.

The Fenland Flyer
2nd Dec 2012, 19:12
Leicester curry night is great, highly recommend.

If you get as far Cambridgeshire we have a great club at Chatteris :)The Club | AAA Microlights Cambridgeshire (http://www.cambridgeshiremicrolights.co.uk/chatterisflyingclub/)

Grob Queen
3rd Dec 2012, 19:47
Hi Susie,

I fly over you regularly!! I fly from about 20 minutes up the road from you too. PM me as well if you are interested (I'm a fellow student so I am sure we have much to discuss!).

The Student Forum on FLYER website is also a good place to be...great advice too!

GQ

aerofoil1
6th Dec 2012, 16:28
Hi susie
I'm based out of Tatenhill always like a chat with fellow pilots/students and I'm a good listener !

Susie 152
14th Dec 2012, 11:53
Hi, I just wanted to say thank you for all of your replies, I really appreciate it. I hope to be flying my qualifying cross country as soon as the weather accommodates, then for the skills test.

Maybe it won't be long until I can fly in to some of your suggestions :)

Thanks.