PDA

View Full Version : Airbus accuses Boeing for lying "so the nose grows"

paparomeodelta
29th Nov 2012, 08:20
Swedish business media [url=http://www.svd.se]SvD | Sveriges kvalitetssajt för nyheter today (googletranslate):

"Airbus: Boeing is lying so the nose grows

The relationship between the world's two major aircraft manufacturers, Airbus and Boeing, is tight. In high-profile advertisements in international trade press accuse each other of exaggerating his plan properties.

The world's airlines are hard pressed to poor profitability and the price of oil is high. In this situation it is of course particularly important for the European Airbus and U.S. Boeing, the world's two dominant manufacturers of large commercial aircraft, to emphasize how fuel efficient their new plan is.

After all, if a market valued at around 100 billion dollars a year and which airlines look closely at the factors that fuel consumption and generally low operating costs when they choose which plan they should buy.

To cope with the development of both Airbus and Boeing new models and in 3-5 years, the new versions of the company's best seller in the form of the Airbus A320 Neo and Boeing 737 Max.

Reuters notes now how the two manufacturers are taking to correct harsh methods in their marketing. In an ad in the latest issue of the trade magazine Aviation Week accusing eg Airbus, its competitor to exaggerate the performance of both new and 737 for the latest model of the classic jumbo jet, Boeing 747. The last named 747-8 jumbo jet, was inaugurated by the first airline earlier this year.

For safety's sake, Airbus also depicted one Boeing aircraft as it is reminiscent of Pinocchio's big nose, that grew every time he skidded on the truth.

Reuters has spoken to Airbus sales chief John Leahy who claim to use the parable of Pinocchio because Boeing in their ads recently exaggerated the performance of the company's plan. Whereupon Boeing spokesperson course argue that the company stands by its data on plan performance.

In substance, claiming Boeing including the new 737 Max 8 will cost 8 percent less per seat for airlines, compared to A320 Neo. Airbus claims its part, according to Reuters, that the cost per seat is 3.3 percent lower for their plan.

The row also includes the really big planes Airbus superjumbo A380 and Boeing's new 747-8. Boeing claims that the cost of a flight of 747-8 is 26 percent lower than the same flight with the A380.

Airbus says that the cost is only 10 percent lower. If one takes also into account that the A380 is clearly larger with room for more passengers will also give airlines more revenue on each flight"

DaveReidUK
29th Nov 2012, 10:36
http://images.smh.com.au/2012/11/29/3849261/art-Airbus-v-Boeing-Ad-620x349.jpg

toffeez
29th Nov 2012, 14:21
Boeing's Woodard aimed his market-share insult at Airbus vice-
president for strategic planning Adam Brown, saying: "I've
watched him and his nose does grow when he talks"

Heathrow Harry
2nd Dec 2012, 15:44
Advertising agencies normally don't encourage their clients to run "knocking copy"

a) it looks childish
b) it sends everyone to look for the original knocking story
c) it devalues the whole market Airbus & Boeing

its not even funny......

Gulfstreamaviator
2nd Dec 2012, 18:15
I was in USA ofer the election runup, there was NO direct selling of any party of its policy, each TV and print advert was knocking the other guy.

So it is no wonder Boeing/Airbus are playing the game too.

grumpyoldgeek
3rd Dec 2012, 02:03
As a US national, Seattle area native and Boeing fan, I find it amusing.

Maybe Boeing has to tighten up it's specifications. No problem there. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if Boeing came up with an equally amusing reply.

porch monkey
3rd Dec 2012, 03:05
Sure, ask CX and a couple of other airlines about Airbus' lies regarding the A340/3-4, and the early A 330's. They are both as bad as each other, neither really should be slinging ****. Something about glass houses and such.

Yankee Whisky
3rd Dec 2012, 23:07
I also wish that the major producers got down to stating facts only about their wonderful products and leave the BS to sheisters. The last Aviation Week magazine add I found appalling, to say the least.

Both companies have proved to be capable of producing reliable products and that should be borne in mind when marketing a transportation mode that cannot stop to fix an engine when in flight !

In my years with aviation I have always assumed that the workers in the industry have the safety of the aircraft in mind above all, so now the marketing BS'rs start screwing it up ! Shame on them................:mad:

BARKINGMAD
7th Dec 2012, 21:12
The latest "Flight Global" issue has another example inside the front pages.

I thought it rather sad and puerile form the Bus makers.

Perhaps they are running scared after all the dirt has been dished following AF447?

Must learn to spell so's I can pass the Compass Test after 18,000 + hors flying?! :ugh:

Heathrow Harry
8th Dec 2012, 14:27
I can't understand why they waste their money TBH

Who is going to be convinced by a stupid argument like that??

Any airline will run the numbers to the n-th degree before buying or leasing

Almost certainly someone at Board level losing their cool and demanding "something should be done" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Kasompe
8th Dec 2012, 14:45
Just shows Airbus as puerile and possibly running scared.
I'm amazed that they thought that ad was a good idea. Boeing must be rubbing their hands in glee!
:ok:

Bobbsy
9th Dec 2012, 01:39
As Heathrow Harry says, any purchasing airline "runs the numbers" and, beyond that, every purchase contract I've heard about has stiff penalty clauses built in if the plane delivered doesn't live up to those numbers.

DownIn3Green
9th Dec 2012, 03:06
Really hope you guys saying bad stuff about Boeing are prepared for the backlash when they subpeona the Prunes records...

Heathrow Harry
9th Dec 2012, 08:45
I am , in legal parlance, a "man of straw"

nothing I own would pay for 5 seconds of a legal eagle..................

Bigpants
10th Dec 2012, 16:51
Boeing has been guilty of pushing the boundaries of the truth in the recent past.

Sonic Cruiser, genuine plane or PR vehicle?

EEngr
10th Dec 2012, 17:34
Its interesting to see when this is or is not being used. Not just in the Boeing/Airbus market, but in general, it says something about what the advertiser or group funding the ad has to say about their customers.

Boeing/Airbus sell to a rather sophisticated customer base (or please correct me if I'm wrong). Airlines have their own engineering, maintenance and accounting staffs. They are (or should be) perfectly capable of judging whether or not a product does or does not live up to its' manufacturers claims. In the case of performance figures, its not like the facts can be covered up indefinitely. If you buy your competitor's product and it doesn't like up to their claims, that will become evident. Ad campaigns like this presume that the customer isn't smart enough to check their figures and needs to be hand held through the purchasing decision. Behaving like this often comes back to bite the advert sponsors in the nether regions.