PDA

View Full Version : Embraer Brasilia Inter Iles Air crash in Moroni

ATC Watcher
29th Nov 2012, 06:20
Apparently we missed this one :

27 November 2012 13:30
An Embraer 120ER Brasilia passenger plane crashed into the sea shorty after takeoff from Moroni-Prince Said Ibrahim In Airport (HAH), Comoros. All 25 passengers and four crew members were rescued.
The airplane operated on a domestic flight to Anjouan-Ouani Airport (AJN). A survivor reported that the pilot was attempting to return to the Moroni airport. He also reported observing a possible fuel leak on takeoff.
Aircraft : Written off (damaged beyond repair)

The Ancient Geek
29th Nov 2012, 08:38
Sounds more like a controlled ditching than a crash.

Lonewolf_50
29th Nov 2012, 13:01
The good news is that all of the people got out alive.

Will be interesting to learn what led to the ditching.

Ancient Mariner
30th Nov 2012, 12:06
Sully ditched, everyone survived = Hero.
This pilot everyone survived = 6 posts so far.
Per

Vc10Tail
30th Nov 2012, 12:32
The heroes were the fishermen, who initiated the search and rescue operation...for your information.

misd-agin
30th Nov 2012, 12:43
One of the surviving passengers quoted in news bulletins (Reuters, CNN, BBC, etc) was noted as saying he observed "fuel pouring out like a water tap"...surely engine and guel gauges weren't being monitored during take off run to catch that. The fuel leak problem could have been evident at pre-flight but it might have been raining and less evident.

You're way ahead of the game and speculating. A fuel leak from the HP fuel pump won't be obvious with the engine not running AND it wouldn't show up as abnormal fuel flow.

That exact situation occurred in AA's first A300 revenue flight.

Let the investigation run it's course.

Ancient Mariner
30th Nov 2012, 12:46
Vc10Tail, I don't use "hero" lightly, but yes, based on what little information available the fishermen did a great job.
Per

Lonewolf_50
30th Nov 2012, 13:08
VC10, would you care to provide a link to the official report you are using as a source?

Or, if there isn't one, perhaps to the news articles you are using to analyze this mishap? Some media sources are better than others.

Can you please spell out what was ignorant about
1. ATC Watcher's opening post.
2. This post:
The good news is that all of the people got out alive.

Will be interesting to learn what led to the ditching.

@ Per:

Do you have a few links?

Sully ditched, everyone survived = Hero.
This pilot everyone survived = 6 posts so far.
Per

Were the two event similar enough to offer such a comparison?
Apple juice, orange juice, or applesauce? ;)

DownIn3Green
30th Nov 2012, 13:17
VC10tail

Seems to me a "massive fuel leak" would be readily noticable in the rain, as kerosene and water don't mix...is this another "ignorant" speculation?

Lonewolf_50
30th Nov 2012, 13:56
Dg, I am trying to be polite, but perhaps I should heed your advice.

Thanks.

ATC Watcher
30th Nov 2012, 14:15
VC10 ( nice aircraft by the way) .
On your public profile here you say : Intrests : Flight simulation modelling.Writing.Airline Safety and Accident investigation documentaries

Now I get it . :rolleyes:

TDK mk2
30th Nov 2012, 18:20
Well done VC10tail for deleting half a dozen rediculously provocative posts and leaving the only reasonable one. Or the moderator who did it for you...

beamender99
30th Nov 2012, 19:16
quick Google produced a short report
ASN Aircraft accident Embraer 120ER Brasilia D6-HUA Moroni-Prince Said Ibrahim In Airport (HAH) (http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20121127-0)

27 plucked from sea after Comoros plane crash | Radio Netherlands Worldwide (http://www.rnw.nl/africa/bulletin/27-plucked-sea-after-comoros-plane-crash)

Plane crashes off Comoros, all 29 on board survive | Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/27/uk-comoros-crash-idUSLNE8AQ03920121127)

All on board Comoros plane survive crash - Africa - Al Jazeera English (http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2012/11/2012112851851837156.html)

lomapaseo
30th Nov 2012, 19:39
Interesting. Certainly needs more facts from an investigation.

The media reports unable to land in time :confused:

In time for what?

I have trouble imagining a fuel leak in an air-turn-back that would deplete the fuel..

Loose rivets
30th Nov 2012, 19:52
In time for the runway to be under him.

frequentflyer2
1st Dec 2012, 10:28
Take a look at the photograph. Are there really still people who think airliners shouldn't be equipped with lifejackets? When Captain Sully landed on the Hudson, one of the main points said to be in his favour was the fact that it was the Hudson, and not open sea. This pilot successfully landed on the open sea, some way off shore. Everyone survived. Whatever the reason for the ditching, he obviously demonstrated tremendous skill in making the water landing survivable for those onboard his Embraer 120, in the same way Sully did for those on board his Airbus. I would therefore assume that in theory there is more chance of surviving a ditching than many people on this forum believed prior to the Hudson incident. Does this latest ditching not make the case for marine survival equipment even more "WATERTIGHT".

The Ancient Geek
2nd Dec 2012, 10:14
The investigation will not be quick. The aircraft will have sunk in deep water and will take some time to recover, if indeed that is practical.
Fortunately all survived so the investigation will have a detailed report from the crew rather than a single comment from a passenger which has so far featured in the press reports.

Well done that pilot for the successful ditching and the local fishermen for the rescue, the outcome could easily have been worse.

Speculation is futile.

Flappo
2nd Dec 2012, 11:24
Maybe I´m wrong but it doesn´t sound like a controlled ditching...

20milesout
2nd Dec 2012, 18:39
lomapaseo:
...Certainly needs more facts from an investigation...

Are you sure you and I will live to see that?

Yemenia Flight 626 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yemenia_Flight_626#Investigation)

Mister Geezer
3rd Dec 2012, 21:31
When you have a regulator who kept a log of foreign licence validations in a dusty old ledger and who happily issued a P1 authorisation to the F/O I was flying with, when he has zero command experience. One has to ask what the odds are of the Comorians creating anything that barely resembles a professionally presented accident report?

During my brief dealings with the authorities when I flew there, the guys looked more like fisherman who had just tied their boats up and then donned high vis vests with 'Aviation Civile' written on the back in blue marker pen!

They are out of their depth at the best of times and especially so in this area.

hoistop
8th Dec 2012, 21:26
Ditched EMB 120 Brasilia SN: 120 149, previously registered as F-GLRG, and operated by Air France Regional. New owner Inter Iles operated the plane for a relatively short time (few months, I suppose)