PDA

View Full Version : Another Interesting Day at YPPH...

Ex FSO GRIFFO
28th Nov 2012, 06:19
With the advent of 'that' Low passing just to the South, the Winds have come up 'a la' winter storms....in Spring / Summer..

Lots of go-arounds at YPPH off Rwy 03 approach, with cross winds in the order of 26 kts and thereabouts....
Recent x/wind peak @ 35kts....(Dct fm Twr @ 0715Z)

Naturally, some wind shear, although the wind is from the NNW, so not as bad as if it was from 'over the ranges'....

And, of course, those passing showers....

You've earned your pay today, boys and girls!!

And, on such a day, the Public Viewing area is closed to the public!!

How else are us 'lower mortals' going to learn how to put it down in one piece..??

ranmar850
28th Nov 2012, 08:47
I was thinking of going to the public platform, after watching a qantas 737 overhead Cannington crabbing , seemingly, at 45 degrees to the approach path:ooh: news on the radio mentions a number of missed approaches, those squalls are very strong. Earning their pay today. And on that path, carrying more power down the approach, old mate at Canning Vale must be off the scale with his noise complaints:rolleyes:

Bograt
28th Nov 2012, 09:09
Was paxing in (Skywest) A320 this afternoon around 12. One go around (was VERY bumpy), and a relatively smooth landing the second time - given the conditions.

Nice job Cap'n. Small round of applause and a cheer or two after touchdown.

:ok:

Skystar320
28th Nov 2012, 09:12
Oh boy what a day!

Ex FSO GRIFFO
28th Nov 2012, 09:47
The 'Public Viewing Area' was CLOSED ALL DAY DUE WEATHER!!!

Something about public liability I was told.....

They don't want you to 'slip over' on the wet footpath...or sumphin' like that....
Bah Humbug!!

How else are 'we' the great unwashed, going to 'score' the landings..??

:*

DirectAnywhere
28th Nov 2012, 09:52
So it's OK to sit in a tube being tossed around by the wind several hundred feet up but it's not OK to walk around outside? Classic.:ugh:

ShiteRider
28th Nov 2012, 11:08
Twenty (20) go-rounds today, I heard......noice!

flightfocus
28th Nov 2012, 11:41
Forget the go arounds - and there were many low level over the runway today - what about that Air Mauritius departure.....

OMG ! ! ! :mad:

Spectacular, yet disturbing. Definitely THE show of the day..... :D:D

planejane
28th Nov 2012, 11:43
Seems the viewing platform was open for a while.

Tweeter captures abandoned plane landing | Video : Perth, WA (http://media.watoday.com.au/entertainment/about-town/captured--botched-storm-landing-3843790.html)

Enjoy the 'quality' voiceover :rolleyes:

Glad I had the day off today :ok:

ASY68
28th Nov 2012, 12:06
"PER airport is yet to comment"... They don't need to...I hate the media when they talk about aviation :ugh:

Normasars
28th Nov 2012, 13:09
1 hr 52 mins from taxi to rolling RWY 03. Very specky from the front end watching the arrivals and G/As!!!

I just wish people like Joyce and Co were sitting in the back watching what the troops do on days like this. Every dollar well and truly earned !

Capn Bloggs
28th Nov 2012, 22:59
I love it when the breeze picks up a bit... :}

The 'Public Viewing Area' was CLOSED ALL DAY DUE WEATHER!!!
Don't worry Griff, popping out and seeing no less than 8 aircraft lined up at Mike watching you (and probably all laughing their heads off) was enough to put the heebie jeebies up ya without the public watching!

bazza stub
29th Nov 2012, 01:22
PER airport is yet to comment

These press fu_kwits are probably dissapointed that there wasn't a great big fireball! Had to build in a bit of drama at the end there :ugh:

Of course they would never use their little brains and do some research now would they? :}

Ex FSO GRIFFO
29th Nov 2012, 02:49
'GRINNING' public Capn.....grinning 'great unwashed public'....and 'us'....

:}:eek:

ozineurope
29th Nov 2012, 03:44
Can anyone tell me if they received predictive warnings on the wind shear. It helps with what I am doing for the AIP.

INterested to know if the missed approaches were PIC intitiated or based on the warning. I know they are all PIC intitiated but I am interested in whether the go round was predicated on the warning being received.

piston broke again
29th Nov 2012, 05:07
Qantas 737 did a couple of go arounds due to windshear warnings. I'd say the skipper would have been flying and the FO was getting pretty grumpy on the radio.

It was a tough day at the office!

And yeah that Air Mauritius was crazy. Gear stayed down so I'd say he got a windshear warning and kept the config...

Engineer_aus
29th Nov 2012, 12:25
WTF is with the voice over... It appears. Really I never thought that red plane was a Qantas plane.

Capn Bloggs
29th Nov 2012, 22:47
Oz, check ya PMs!

ozineurope
29th Nov 2012, 23:39
Blogs ta. System wont let me reply from here!! Something about PMs on chat rooms *sigh*

Got the info - appreciate all input I can get.

The Green Goblin
29th Nov 2012, 23:53
INterested to know if the missed approaches were PIC intitiated or based on the warning. I know they are all PIC intitiated but I am interested in whether the go round was predicated on the warning being received.

Either Pilot initiates a go around.

It's not 'only PIC initiated'

It would be pretty poor form as an effo continuing a bungled approach waiting for the skipper to utter those magic words when the old boy has carked it and you don't know.

Cheers

ramble on
30th Nov 2012, 01:08
Out of interest, with just a smidge of thread drift, and this is more for the Boeing/Fokker operators rather than Airbus fbw with independent stick movement;

Are there any company procedures out there today that require the PNF to follow through on the controls?

I have only come across it before when I was pre-solo and had heard stories of it used for obvious reasons in wartime helicopter landings in hot LZs.

Do any airlines require crew to do this??

Virgin, Skywest, Qantas, Jetstar, Tiger??

Capn Bloggs
30th Nov 2012, 01:25
Nope. Hands are close but not on. With a great big prong in plain view, it's pretty easy to see if the inputs aren't right even before the aeroplane reacts. :ok:

HF3000
30th Nov 2012, 12:34
I'm only speculating here but I would very much doubt that a go-around at that late stage of the landing would have been due to a predictive windshear alert.

A predictive windshear alert would have been based on windshear detected ahead of the aircraft - this aircraft was close to the flare.

It would have been more likely that the aircraft was either outside stable parameters, or received a hard GPWS based windshear alert, or the pilot was just not happy with the conditions.

They raised the gear straight away which also indicates that the go-around was not windshear related.

The Green Goblin
30th Nov 2012, 23:49
They raised the gear straight away which also indicates that the go-around was not windshear related.

PWS does not require the gear to be left down, only a windshear warning requires it (at least on Airbus anway).

Does the Boeing inhibit PWS warnings below a certain height on approach?