PDA

View Full Version : 13th month

629bus
27th Nov 2012, 14:06
When historically is it announced. I mean to write it down each year, and well.... i dont:hmm:

asianeagle
27th Nov 2012, 14:17
Going by the Friday expectation management telex, I'm not getting my hopes up.
Stand by for disappointment.

Cpt. Underpants
27th Nov 2012, 14:38
The announcement of "no bonus" is normally preceded by an announcement that certain banks will have information desks set up in CX City for a few weeks...

AnAmusedReader
28th Nov 2012, 06:37
Cathay Pacific Airways will cut passenger capacity 1.6 per cent next year, the first reduction since 2009, as it contends with slowing international travel demand and a need to train pilots for new aircraft.
The cut, which mainly affects long-haul routes, is “a slight surprise,” Bank of Communications analyst Geoffrey Cheng said in a note today, following a briefing by the company on Tuesday.
UOB-Kay Hian gave the same numbers in a note. Elin Wong, a spokeswoman for Hong Kong-based Cathay, said she couldn’t immediately comment in a reply to Bloomberg News questions.
The carrier is boosting its focus on short-haul routes and premium-economy cabins as the global economic slowdown saps demand for premium-class long-haul flights to cities including New York. The airline also last week told staff it was stepping up cost-cutting measures because of the inter-continental slowdown, a cargo slump and higher fuel prices.
The long-haul capacity reduction “implies a lack of confidence as well as a repositioning of the company’s strategy,” UOB-Kay Hian’s K. Ajith and Eugene Ng said. “The focus towards short-haul is fraught with risk, especially given that various low-cost carriers have expanded in the region.”
Ajith and Ng cut their 2012 earnings estimate to a HK$425 million (US$55 million) loss from a HK$329 million profit. The airline lost HK$935 million in the first half. The analysts also cut their target price to HK$12.60 from HK$12.80, while keeping a sell rating. Bank of Communications lowered its earnings forecast and price target, while maintaining a neutral rating.
The airline rose 0.7 per cent to HK$13.96 at 11:18am (HK time), while the benchmark Hang Seng Index declined 0.7 per cent. Cathay has risen 4.8 per cent this year.
The carrier also said part of the reason for cutting capacity was a need to train pilots on new aircraft, according to the UOB-Kay analysts. “This is unusual as an airline typically schedules training well in advance,” they said.
The airline will boost cargo capacity 12 per cent next year, as it adds new Boeing 747-8 freighters. The carrier received three of the planes in October and two more will arrive next year, the UOB-Kay analysts said. Cathay is beginning to see an upturn in cargo, particularly in North America, and it will be able to slow capacity growth if needed, they said.
On the passenger side, the airline will receive 14 new wide-body planes next year, while retiring six Boeing 747s. Cathay faces the risk of making a loss from shedding the 747s, Ajith and Ng said.
This year, the airline increased passenger capacity 4.1 per cent through October. Its cargo capacity, as measured by available ton kilometers, was little changed.

Captain Dart
28th Nov 2012, 07:02
“This is unusual as an airline typically schedules training well in advance,” they said.

Cathay knows best; also leading the way with iCadets, Navtech charts, what an age we live in!

iceman50
28th Nov 2012, 09:52
Perhaps the "analysts" are not very good at being analysts. I suppose the 1.6% reduction would have nothing to do with there being less 747's and more 777's on long haul routes.

Trafalgar
29th Nov 2012, 07:43
Couple of points

1) the bases have the 13th month incorporated in their salaries. If the company is not going to claw back that amount, then they are in fact discriminating against HK based pilots. I expect the AOA to deal with this discrepancy through the courts.

2) the13th month equates to roughly 15% of my annual pay. If they don't pay it, then they have effectively 'stolen' 15% of my income from myself and my family. As a result, I will make sure that I 'recoup' this through approximately 15% extra time off over the year......funny old thing, that equates to about a month!

3) as someone else said on this forum: 'if they pretend to pay me, I will pretend to work'.

Progress Wanchai
29th Nov 2012, 08:32
You're a mental giant Trafalgar.

A month normally equates to a month no matter how many times you convert it into a percentage and then back again.

No wonder we're treated like idiots.

Frogman1484
29th Nov 2012, 09:07
one month is actually 8.33% (100% / 12 months):E

Trafalgar
29th Nov 2012, 09:41
.....no, it's 15%. CX math. You know how it goes! :E

Blogsey
29th Nov 2012, 10:31
Please post a reference to where Management say 13th month is incorporated into based salaries? In 2010(?), we had a 9% pay rise in Aus to take us up to local conditions, so I fail to see how your statement is true.

airplaneridesrfun
29th Nov 2012, 12:17
CX is making it sound bad to prevent others from invading it's market.... hence the first half loss. Has nothing to do with 13th month, CX will make a profit in line with everybody else in the industry - record breaking! mgt trying to make you work harder and have pity on the company, while they keep competitors out. perhaps we should collectively leave and work for emirates.... then EK could take over Hong Kong in one fell swoop.... of course they will pay us dearly for us because it will be a lot cheaper than infiltrating swire.

Numero Crunchero
29th Nov 2012, 13:45
I think it was in the sign or be fired 'negotiations' of 1999 when 13th month was incorporated into Based B scale salaries. Based B scales were woefully uncompetitive at the time so it gave the salary scale a pseudo 8.3% leg up, when in fact the total remuneration never changed.

A scalers were not so lucky - they lost 13th month.

Since that time there has been no mention of paying 13month to bases.

Since B scales were inadequate in 1999 it doesn't matter whether they gave them a 8.3% payrise and simultaneously ceased 13th month or just took 13months and divided by 12.

Since the 13th month is guaranteed across the rode at KA, there is no good reason why HKG based CX pilots shouldn't get it too!

Threethirty
29th Nov 2012, 16:02
Malaysian Airlines Q3 earnings up, 12 million US dollars net, they need to get some more creative accountants down in KL, far too transparent! Sarc.

boocs
30th Nov 2012, 04:07
Numero,

Was the 13th month negotiated out of the HKG CX contract in lieu of a pay rise years ago?

b.

AnAmusedReader
30th Nov 2012, 06:16
No. In the pre-1999 contract, round about the time of Red Oddington, the company made a unilateral change to call the 13th month payment a discretionary annual bonus. That gave them the legal right to pay or not or not pay all with no come back by the staff.

Flying Clog
30th Nov 2012, 06:52
Yayyy... we got it :ok:

superfrozo
30th Nov 2012, 07:23
"He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the dark moustache. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother."

BuzzBox
30th Nov 2012, 07:51
Yayyy... we got it

Yayyy, maybe you lot can now stop your moaning. Oh, how silly of me...:hmm:

alohajec
1st Dec 2012, 09:46
"He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the dark moustache. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother."

1984. 2012. How prophetic.

Tornado Ali
4th Dec 2012, 00:15
When is payday this month?

Cpt. Underpants
4th Dec 2012, 00:26
Look on intraCX. Do a "word search" and all payday related notices to staff will be revealed.

Keep salary, remuneration and personal beefs out of the public domain and you may find the lamented "respect" for our profession may return.

iCadet
4th Dec 2012, 16:16
I can finally afford to redecorate my shoe box! :ok:

Tornado Ali
8th Dec 2012, 08:31
.....hmmm, no wonder they paid the 13th. They couldn't have rightly announced yet MORE cargo fines and not paid the 13th. This company's arrogance is costing billions of $hkg. Don't even think of taking from my family's financial security until you have sorted our your own ethical issues first. Just saying....