PDA

View Full Version : Need Opinions - Back to college for A - level Maths and Physics

Scotty2012
27th Nov 2012, 10:30
Good morning people, As you can see this is my first post so please forgive me if I am posting this thread in the wrong part of the forums.

Sooo ... My situation:

Ive thought a lot about it and have decided I want a career in aviation as a commercial pilot.

I completed my A - Levels a year and a half ago although did not achieve my desired results due to lack of motivation and a immature outlook more concerned on getting royally plastered every night and getting around as much girls as I could possible (Sorry, just the truth!). Althought I technically achieved passes in all my subjects (C, and a D), Im sure prospective airline employers do not really look at these as a candidate who has successfully completed A - Levels (correct me if i am wrong).

Although, obviously now I realise my naievity and have a much more mature outlook to work, my goals and aspirations with what I want to do in life!

So my current plan is to complete my PPL next summer of 2013 and in September 2013 join college again for A - Levels in Mathematics and Physics.

My questions are ... By that time Ill also be studying for ATPL theory, do you think the workload will be too much to achieve successfull results in all Maths, Physics and my ATPL's?? Ive always been fairly competent with Maths and the Sciences achieving an A in GCSE Maths and a B in Science but by that time it will also be 3 and a half years since I did those at school which could set me back a hell of a lot!

Also, whilst I assume doing Maths and Physics (and achieving good grades) will come as an advantage for when Im applying for jobs, will it be that much of an advantage to be worth putting in 2 years and a heavy extra amount of workload than what Ill already be doing and would my current poor A - Level results put me at a big disadvantage when it comes to applying for jobs? Bearing in mind im thinking 10 - 15 years or so down the line when applying for FO positions at major airliners!

Any help/opinions really much appreciated! Thankyou!

bex88
27th Nov 2012, 18:46
Scotty, I did my flight training at 25 after being out of education for 5 years. I did not have A levels but I did have a background in engineering and strong GCSE's in these subjects. You require a grade C in maths to undertake your training. This is stipulated by the CAA I believe. These are of course the minimums and doing those subjects at A level would certainly not harm your chances.

What I would be careful of is getting your PPL or doing any of your aviation exams because this would prohibit you from applying to future BA cadetships (providing the requirements stay the same) As regards the workload of doing your A levels and ATPL's. Well lets just say for six months I worked all day and late into the evening so I don't think it is achievable or recommended to do both. Who knows maybe you can but I certainly could not.

Your academic qualifications are important but I don't recall being asked what GCSE's or A levels, BTEC, HND etc I had. It was more of a do you have the correct license, a good training record and tell me about your previous career. If you are applying for cadetships or first jobs then it would place more emphasis on these.

I would suggest you maybe look to work a summer as cabin crew at a charter or see if you can get a ground handling job as a dispatcher to see the industry. If you really know this is what you want to do start researching the industry, training and cadetships. Take a real look at it in the cold light of day. What are the chances of landing that first job, what airlines would be more likely to hire newly qualified pilots? How do I position myself to get a interview. How much will my loan repayments be and more importantly how can I pay these if I don't get a job?

Its a long road, easy for some, tough for others and for some crushing. Don't bet anyones house on it would be my advice. On a more positive note 5 years after graduating some 65-70% of the people on my course have a flying job. Not all good ones but a job none the less.

Hope it helps and good luck.

BerksFlyer
27th Nov 2012, 19:15
What I would be careful of is getting your PPL or doing any of your aviation exams because this would prohibit you from applying to future BA cadetships (providing the requirements stay the same)

That is incorrect. You can apply with a PPL but not having done ATPL exams.

Airlines don't hire based on A-levels whatsoever unless you are applying for a cadetship, and even then the requirements are very low compared with other professions who ask for some form of education as minimum. If you are going modular you would probably gain more out of having some related job as suggested above. Then you could make useful contacts and would be earning to help fund training.

bex88
27th Nov 2012, 20:00
I stand corrected. I will go stand in the corner in shame:O

With that now cleared up. Go get your PPL and build up some flying experience because this will help you when having your aptitude and motivation tested. I honestly think it will help you understand your ATPL studies better as well. To many people go straight to flight training (ATPL's) with no flying time.

nabanoba
28th Nov 2012, 09:33
Scotty,

It depends on how you want to go about becoming a pilot. If you want to get a cadetship, you probably won't make the minimum entry requirements without going back to sit the A levels. However if you want to go the Modular or Integrated routes all you need is to say that you've studied and passed maths and physics, and in some cases not even that.

From the sounds of it you are thinking of going down the Modular route. If that is the case I don't think that it's worth you going back to school. Potential employers (if any exist) will be much more interested in if you have first time passes and your ATPL grades and especially how many hours you have that your grades in school.

FlyingSportsman
28th Nov 2012, 13:17
Just a quick thought from me-

Knowing how much time friends are spending on ATPL's and how much time I spend on A2 maths & physics, the two wouldn't seem to me to be a great mix.

I'm not sure if you're planning on re-doing both AS & A2, but beware as you'll remember the jump between AS & A2 is a big one, and A2 requires a lot more hard work.

I would be wary of spreading myself too thin!

Best of luck,
FS :ok:

Booglebox
1st Dec 2012, 08:55
scotty2012: if you have the self-discipline to do it from home, check out these folks; NEC : Home Learning Courses from the NEC (http://www.nec.ac.uk)
Recommended.

Darth_Bovine
3rd Dec 2012, 07:35
Hi,

In terms of the Maths required in the ATPL exams...

If you can do trigonometry and solve fairly simple equations then that's all you need for the ATPLs. I don't think there was much physics except fairly basic concepts. The exams are tough in that they contain a lot of info that you have to remember but the maths is not too challenging if you have a good basic grounding. So if what others are saying is true (i.e. that employers are not that fussed on great grades) then I wouldn't go back to school thinking it would give you an advantage in the exams - it probably won't.

Good luck!
DB.

truckflyer
3rd Dec 2012, 09:03
First, some conflicting advice from various posters, some of it is good, some is a bit confusion!

First, the maths for ATPL is pretty basic, nothing very complicated! So that should not worry you, and with regards to standards required, nothing really, as long as you can pass your tests!

But one point many here seem to be missing, yes you need to get your PPL first before starting your ATPL's, and you need to build hours before any use doing your ATPL's!

There is no use to go and do your ATPL's with minimum hours PPL, first there is NO RUSH, to finish fast, and you must plan these things so they work out, because when you finish your ATPL's, the clock starts running, so you should already be done with most of your basic hour building, night rating etc. by this time, than commence your ATPL's.

When ATPL's passed, you have a certain time to pass your CPL, ME and IR, and you might think it is plenty of time, this depends on your money situation and the UK weather, which can ground you for many months.

It is good if you redo your A-levels, but not particular for this profession of any special importance! However......
Doing ATPL's and A- levels, forget it! If you already had problems to motivate yourself with your A-levels, how do you imagine it will be when you doing 6 to 8 hours a day ATPL, and don't tell me it will all be fun, because it is your dream, passion etc.... We all think that, does not mean it will not consume your entire daily life, personal life etc.
It can be done part time for sure, but you need to know what you are getting into, it is NOT DIFFICULT, but it is so MUCH STUFF!

I would, if I was you, do PPL, do A-levels in spring and hour-build, get your A-levels out of the way first, than the following Spring / Summer start your ATPL's.

There is no rush, because there are no jobs there waiting for you to be filled, but this is the way!

Scotty2012
3rd Dec 2012, 17:09
Thankyou for everyones input! From hearing various opinions and talking to people in the industry it doesnt seem A - Levels are a big deal, I just would of thought for a big airline recieving vast amount of applicants, educational background may act as a filter ... I guess not!

Ive decided against going through Maths and Physics A - Levels ... Getting my PPL finished and starting to read up on ATPL theory to try and get a bit of a head start!

Thanks again for everyones advice!

truckflyer
3rd Dec 2012, 20:31
Good advice, would be to get good A-levels today, as you never know how the industry will be in the future, or you might fail a medical, who knows.

And for BA, your academic skills also have to be of a certain standard! So why waste time, when you could spend it doing something useful and having fun!

Another
4th Dec 2012, 04:08
i hope you'll have some more time to think a little more and consider the A-levels. you are banking on this pilot thing working out.
if flying wont happen for a while, those licenses have very little use in other professions.
(maybe a-levels come in handy looking for second job, paying the training bills)
little downside to buckling up and doing those a-levels now. i agree their use in aviation are limited but will haunt you for quite a while in the rest of the workplace.