PDA

View Full Version : Best place to sell a plane?

Sam Rutherford
26th Nov 2012, 13:46
I've come to the sad conclusion that I need a faster aeroplane, and that I cannot justify keeping my present, greatly loved, Maule in addition to a new purchase. It's a fantastic machine, and she has never let me down over the last 5 years, but the 100-110kts cruise is just too slow for my needs. :{

Any ideas/thoughts on the best way (websites?) to try and find a new happy owner?

Cheers, fly safe, Sam.

Aerials
26th Nov 2012, 14:19
Sam, have a look at Aircraft For Sale: Aircraft for sale (http://www.afors.com/)

wsmempson
26th Nov 2012, 14:20
If you want to go it alone and deal with the enquiries yourself, then I would do the following

1. Stick an ad in Pilot and Flyer
2. Stick an ad on your club notice board and also one on the board at White Waltham
3. Put and ad here Aircraft for sale (http://www.afors.com/index.php?page=browse&sec=AERO&cat=SALE)
4. Put an ad here PlaneCheck Aircraft for Sale - New planes and price reductions (http://planecheck.com/)

If you want to sell on quickly and don't want to deal with the great unwashed, Dave Morris at Just Plane Trading (http://justplanetrading.com/) buys for stock and, if he has what you want, you maybe able to do a decent P/X

Good luck!

BackPacker
26th Nov 2012, 14:31
I would start with creating a special webpage (either under the p2g domain or under a separate domain name) where you advertise the aircraft.

Put as much information on there as you can. Total time of everything, damage history, loads of photos, equipment list, whatever. After reading that site, the potential buyer should:
- Have no further questions about the aircraft
- Have the idea you have nothing to hide

You then advertise the plane on the places listed, referring to that website every time.

Prazum
26th Nov 2012, 16:54
Just curious what model you are selling ?

piperboy84
26th Nov 2012, 20:21
Best place to sell a plane?
I've come to the sad conclusion that I need a faster aeroplane, and that I cannot justify keeping my present, greatly loved, Maule in addition to a new purchase. It's a fantastic machine, and she has never let me down over the last 5 years, but the 100-110kts cruise is just too slow for my needs

Give Ray a call down in Moultrie and see if he can give you a yeah or nay on the SMA/continental diesel availability date, you'd kick yourself if you got rid of the maule for a 130-140k cruise machine then they made an announcement that a diesel STC for your Maule was available.

I also get pissed of with the 110k cruise and think about buying an old Arrow in addition but hate to think of the double insurance/annuals etc, so i,m just gonna hang for a while and see what the Chinese do with the SMA/Continental thing.

Dan the weegie
26th Nov 2012, 20:44
Yep all the above advice on selling is good, make a real effort with your ads though, people want to see at least 7-8 decent photos of your machine and want to see a bit of history about it, there's so many 3 line ads with no pictures that go nowhere.

Failing that justplanetrading or one of the other brokers might give you a trade in on your machine for one they have.

I still think you're bonkers though 110kts is a decent speed for touring round the UK and the Maule affords you the possibility of being able to land anywhere, including peoples back gardens :). They're lovely machines, sadly on a CofA which holds no interest for me.

Piperboy, shame on you! with your tundra tyres and your lovely machine :) Arrow only goes a wee bitty faster y'know.

Sam Rutherford
27th Nov 2012, 07:28
I've been in contact with Maule all the time - we 'had' an order for 8 M9 diesels for the Libyans a year ago. I don't think it's coming - particularly now that Cessna are going for it and will probably need 100% of SMA's attention.

Most of my flying is further afield than the UK, standard leg lengths in the 400-500nm range - where 20kts more makes a big difference (unfortunately).

An MX7-180B - great machine, absolutely brilliant. I just need something a little less bushplane and a little more speed-machine...

Thanks for all the advice, have started the process.

Fly safe, Sam.