PDA

View Full Version : Sky HD question

Tableview
24th Nov 2012, 20:04
Our SKY HD parabolic dish has been knocked off the wall by the incompetent cretins working on the roof. Don't get me started..........

We can't watch programmes off the air, that's logical. What is not logical to me is that there is no access to anything previously recorded on the 'planner' i.e. the Sky HD box's hard drive. It just says 'searching for listings'.

Can anyone suggest why, and ideally, a solution. Thanks.

Milo Minderbinder
24th Nov 2012, 20:38
sounds like its looking for the channel / programs broadcast listing. Presumably it needs those to synch the recording downloads

doubt if there is a solution - unless it can also download the listings via the phone line (thats just a hopeful guess). Is the box plugged ino the phone?

spekesoftly
24th Nov 2012, 22:32
I did a quick search and came up with the following:-

The Sky box checks via satellite that you're entitled to view a recording when you select it for playback. It needs, therefore, a live satellite connection.

crewmeal
25th Nov 2012, 07:01
And of course a pin number when you've recorded movies. Sky seem to have their recording devices sown up so the content cannot be copied.The only way I used to copy was plug my sky box into an old DVD recorder via a scart lead. But that doesn't solve your current predicament.

I've seen plenty of programmes recorded 'somehow' on torrent sites. Not sure how that works.

Tableview
25th Nov 2012, 07:43
Thank you all, so it seems I have to go without TV for a few days. No loss, in fact I've been thinking of giving up Sky anyway.

mixture
26th Nov 2012, 06:48
I've seen plenty of programmes recorded 'somehow' on torrent sites. Not sure how that works.

Google is your friend if you want to find out how piracy works....

Just remember though, ISPs have a habit of helping those seeking the identities of those using and publishing on torrent sites. Torrent sites are also a nest of viruses, trojans, spyware infested items masquerading to be the real thing.

Ancient Observer
26th Nov 2012, 13:29
Mr speke is right.

Have had same issue in the past.

For some reason, one needs both the same box as the progs were recorded on, and a live access to the satellite to see what you've recorded.

I was very, very pissed off with sky when they changed my box cos their rotten box had gone wrong, and denied me access to all those recorded programmes.

green granite
26th Nov 2012, 13:52
There should be no problem in copying the stuff on the hard drive to the PC using say Copy+ and anything on there that was recorded from non encrypted channels should extract and be viewable with +Extract.

Ancient Observer
26th Nov 2012, 16:42
Thanks. Yup, but that requires forward planning, and Sky and I do not see eye to eye about forward planning. Anything that I want to keep gets played through my pana "1 box does it all" box, on to its hard drive.

green granite
26th Nov 2012, 16:53
Yes but if you remove and then connect that hard drive to a Pc and copy the files using Copy+ you can then access those files on the PC.