PDA

View Full Version : Flight dispatcher in HK

Neptune2597
24th Nov 2012, 10:22
Hello everybody. :ok:

If I am here it's because I have some questions about the job of flight dispatcher.

I love Hong Kong I try to come in this city as soon as possible. I wanna live here but the problem for me is to find a job.
I have three problems :
I'm not a HK permanent resident
I am not a native english speaker
I don't speak cantonese and mandarin.
In my country I'm a flight dispatcher. I like it. It's an activity very interesting .I worked in the two biggest airports of my country.
So I wanna know how it's possible to work as a flight dispatcher in the aiport of HK ? Is it impossible for me ?
Do you know if I can do the training of flight dispatcher in HK ? Is it will be sufficient or this job is only for HK permanent residents ?

If I have the right to live in HK I will be ready to learn cantonese and improve my english more, no problems for me, I have the motivation.

Thanks in advance for your answers. :cool:

boxjockey
25th Nov 2012, 09:35
In my best TheManagment voice:

"You sound like a perfect fit for the CPA group, and we would welcome you with open arms. Don't mind that you need to pay for your trip to and from HKG, as well as accommodation during the interview process. We feel this is an important step in determining your fire and passion to join our fine airline. As it is no longer a requirement to hail from planet earth, please visit our website to see the latest job openings for flight dispatchers. Good luck, and we look forward to seeing you in the basement soon!"

box

Neptune2597
26th Nov 2012, 02:55
Nobody can help me ?

nitpicker330
26th Nov 2012, 23:50
We are Pilots and don't get involved in that department so you are barking up the wrong tree.

They have plenty of locals to fill those jobs and unless a local cant be trained they won't employ a non local, simple as that.

jonathon68
27th Nov 2012, 01:04
Unlike the US, CX Flight Dispatchers are just paperwork clerks in this part of the world. They are not Licensed and don't hold any responsibility for any aspect of the operation.

Vacancies are usually filled by "internal candidates" from within the airline. Their training is short and carried out "in-house". It is basically shift work for relatively low pay.

Don't bother.

Neptune2597
27th Nov 2012, 02:29
Thanks for answer. I don't wanna work for cx there are other ground services in HK aiport. But if you say it's impossible for a non local to be employed...

holdmetight
27th Nov 2012, 14:55
In my previous life I was a flight dispatcher working out of HKIA (not for CX). If you don't have a HKID and don't speak Cantonese already, your application will go straight into the rubbish bin. HKID is essential for obvious reasons; Cantonese is the only language spoken on the ramp and if you don't speak any it will be virtually impossible for you to get around. I highly doubt any of the ground handling agencies will help you apply for a working visa either - there is no shortage of locals who can do the job. Sorry to have burst your bubble.

Neptune2597
7th Dec 2012, 13:18
So it is impossible to work in HK's aiport if you are not a Hong Kong citizen ?

Steve the Pirate
7th Dec 2012, 23:33
So it is impossible to work in HK's aiport if you are not a Hong Kong citizen ?

That's not what people are saying. Instead, they're saying that there are a number of suitably qualified Hong Kong citizens who want to work as flight dispatchers. While that's the case, it's unlikely that you'd get sponsorship for a work permit.

Unfortunately we're probably not the best people to give you advice so I suggest you contact either HKBAC or some of the biz jet operators to find out what the situation really is.

STP

uhtsky
9th Dec 2012, 14:44
Make it simple, do you want a wheelchair when you can run?