PDA

View Full Version : American ( London) Consulate ban on mobile phones

Gulfstreamaviator
24th Nov 2012, 07:53
I need to renew my crew visa, and been told the Amercian consultate do not allow mobile phones.

What about umbrellas. ????

Last visit there was a security BOX provided.

What is one expected to do with ones lap top, Iphone, spy cam, or boring old mobile phone. It was suggested that a side trip to nearest main line railway station and rent a left luggage unit.

Is this for real, if so any realistic ideas would be appreciated.

glf

ps mods, relocate if better fora available.

MrMachfivepointfive
24th Nov 2012, 08:07
Cotton or polyester based garments are also not allowed. Use pure silk or go naked.
This guy just got his visa renewed.
http://img.news.sina.com/sports/p/2012/0711/U113P5029T2D485283F24DT20120711172407.jpg
http://http://img.news.sina.com/sports/p/2012/0711/U113P5029T2D485283F24DT20120711172407.jpg

NGFellow
24th Nov 2012, 08:10
This has been standard now at all U.S. Embassies and Consulates. They will not allow cellphones, remote car keys etc (devices that might be able to trigger an explosive etc etc). You have a choice to just leave all that stuff in your car before you enter, or else they are usually happy to keep it for you and give you a claim coupon, which you can redeem on your way out. It's a pretty painless procedure. I just went though it here in Dubai a few days ago when I had some Consulate business.

gatbusdriver
24th Nov 2012, 08:14
I went on Monday to renew my C1/D crew visa.

They will not keep car keys and mobs etc. for you at London embassy.

Need to either leave car keys and mobile at home and take train in, or for a fee of £3 you can store things at Audley Chemist on South Audley street about 100m from embassy entrance.

MkSi
24th Nov 2012, 08:20
All,

I had a colleague who had to have a Visa from there.

Apparently there is a paper shop which has a roaring trade in renting lockers ...

MkSi

transilvana
24th Nov 2012, 08:51
These guys are really getting paranoid...

beerdrinker
24th Nov 2012, 09:02
You must remember that there was no terrorism in the world until 9/11 after which the Spams taught the rest of us how to do anti terrorism properly.

mitzy69
24th Nov 2012, 09:07
went to an embassy and the search picked up the return railway ticket,
it must have a metal strip in it.

DISCOKID
24th Nov 2012, 09:20
The local shopkeepers make a small fortune looking after your phones for you while you're in the embassy...

Embassy ban on mobile phones brings £1,000 a day windfall to local chemist - News - London Evening Standard (http://www.standard.co.uk/news/embassy-ban-on-mobile-phones-brings-1000-a-day-windfall-to-local-chemist-6826416.html)

Load Toad
24th Nov 2012, 09:51
Standard practice in the British Consulate in HK too.

Of course - they do have a security box for you to use with a numbered chit so your phone is kept safe by the security staff.

seat 0A
24th Nov 2012, 16:39
When are the EU countries going to introduce a crew visa for US airline staff?
Sorry guys, just go to the British, German, Dutch etc. embassy in Washington first. Stand in line for an hour, get frisked, tell us all your personal details and come back tomorrow...
Do it all again in 5 years if you want to keep your job, ok?

Utter madness, these crew visa! Even China doesn't require them.

His dudeness
24th Nov 2012, 18:41
When are the EU countries going to introduce a crew visa for US airline staff?

Exactly then when european politicians are required to go through the same shi.te.

Oh, forgot, they won´t have to...

Bye
24th Nov 2012, 20:07
a good friend of mine will often call me on his way to his factory in Pakistan, at a certain point in his journey he will announce radio silence for a short while as he drives past a certain building, and sure enough off goes the phone signal right on cue.

toffeez
24th Nov 2012, 21:15
How about a total ban on mobile phones? Noise pollution.
I'd vote for it.

sleeper
24th Nov 2012, 21:46
guy's/girls,

Seriously, does it hurt that much to leave your phones/laptops/tablets at home for one day?

PLovett
24th Nov 2012, 21:52
You must remember that there was no terrorism in the world until 9/11 after which the Spams taught the rest of us how to do anti terrorism properly.

I hope that was meant to be ironic.

cwatters
24th Nov 2012, 23:46
I went on Monday to renew my C1/D crew visa.

They will not keep car keys and mobs etc. for you at London embassy.

That must be a new thing since April.

Edit: I've just had a look at the link posted above and it seem it's been policy since 2008. Well I'm pretty sure they looked after our phones, car keys and possibly even two Nintendo DS back in April. Give them a call.

Metro man
24th Nov 2012, 23:59
The Australian High Commission in Singapore won't allow mobile phones either and they X-ray them before they go into the provided lockers.

michaeljpotter
25th Nov 2012, 00:40
@cwatters: I had to get my us M1 visa in March of this year and I had to leave my mobile out. I left it in a locker at Waterloo. The girls standing checking everyone were already tired of saying "no mobiles" and this was by 10am.

icemanalgeria
25th Nov 2012, 01:23
last time I renewed my us visa was the same, I left my iPad iphone in the car in a car park then took the tube, when I got to the embassy my car keys was a problem, where Do you leave your car keys ?

When I returned to the car it had been broken into, I lost my iPad and iphone.

What can we do :(

riverrock83
25th Nov 2012, 08:23
Last time I did it in London was about 5 years ago. Then they had limited locker space at the security gate, but I understand this has been done away with.

If you get the chance I'd go to Belfast. When I went through there about 8 years ago I was in and out in 25 min with no queues. Compare that to spending the whole day in London...

ironbutt57
25th Nov 2012, 09:29
This is a requirement for all visitors, as a citizen the same was required of me when applying for, then again while collecting my new passport...

farsouth
25th Nov 2012, 09:39
Does anyone here know if there is any good science behind this policy - is there any possible risk posed by a mobile phone inside the building, and if so, is it any greater risk than from a mobile phone outside the building.

Or is it just paranoia.........

I strongly suspect the latter, but have no definite scientific knowledge that would support that

(Also, does anyone know why this thread has not been promoted to Jetblast - as other far more Aviation content ones seem to be very rapidly these days. "Visiting the embassy to collect my crew visa" seems a fairly tenuous qualification to post in Rumours and News)

sitigeltfel
25th Nov 2012, 11:57
Does anyone here know if there is any good science behind this policy - is there any possible risk posed by a mobile phone inside the building, and if so, is it any greater risk than from a mobile phone outside the building.

Many mobile phones now double up as cameras. That may be one of the reasons.

Rwy in Sight
25th Nov 2012, 16:02
The US embassy in a European country used to ask visa applicants to surrender all electronic equipment even portable radios since 1980's. I seem to remember that the Israelis used a mobile to blow up some guys from the opposition in the 1990's.

Feel free to ignore the above.:rolleyes:

cwatters
25th Nov 2012, 18:58
@cwatters: I had to get my us M1 visa in March of this year and I had to leave my mobile out. I left it in a locker at Waterloo. The girls standing checking everyone were already tired of saying "no mobiles" and this was by 10am.

Strange. I've since checked with my wife and her recollection is same as mine. We left at least a two phones, car keys with electronic fobs and our twins Nintendo DS at the security gate. We were renewing US passports.

Dg800
26th Nov 2012, 08:14
Seriously, does it hurt that much to leave your phones/laptops/tablets at home for one day? Keep in mind that we're talking about a US Consulate in Europe, for some of their customers (US tourists) home might be in a completely different continent. :} I really don't understand this policy, are they afraid of mobiles and car remotes being used to trigger a previously planted explosive device or about said devices themselves containing an explosive device?

If it's the former than this policy is total bollocks. If a terrorist has successfully planted a bomb in the Consulate, why would they visit the Consulate (thus possibly blowing themselves up in the process) instead of just triggering it from a safe distance, thus outside the Consulate's security perimeter? If it's the latter, then how much explosive could a modern mobile (we're not talking 70s dinosaurs here, modern mobiles are smaller than a cig pack!) or, even worse, a car remote contain and how much damage could it possibly cause?

It definitely sounds like paranoid bull****, unfortunately this wouldn't be the first case since 9/11. :{

sleeper
26th Nov 2012, 08:53
Quote:

Seriously, does it hurt that much to leave your
phones/laptops/tablets at home for one day?
Keep in mind that we're talking about a US Consulate in Europe, for some of
their customers (US tourists) home might be in a completely different
continent.

So, keep them in your hotelroom(safe).

Dg800
26th Nov 2012, 09:05
So, keep them in your hotelroom(safe).That is not always an option, for example if you're currently "between hotels". The point is that many customers of a Consulate will be travelers and for them such restrictions can be quite a nuisance. The last thing a distressed traveler who for example just got his passport and cash picked at the local market would like to hear, is that they also have to get rid of their mobile in order to seek assistance at the local consulate (I've been there myself, but prior to the mobile phones and 9/11 era). Oh well, I'm sure the local shops will be more than happy with the booming mobile-and-keys-and-whatever-they-will-come-up-with-next safekeeping business this policy has generated. :ok:

zondaracer
26th Nov 2012, 09:20
I really don't understand this policy, are they afraid of mobiles and car remotes being used to trigger a previously planted explosive device or about said devices themselves containing an explosive device?

It is not only that but also the intelligence risk. Lots of small electronic devices can be hidden inside cellphones and key fobs. Everything from hidden USB drives, audio recording, GPS tracking, video taping, and photos and more. A modern smartphone already carries many of these features. Foreign intel and terrorists would exploit this information. You guys should really watch more spy movies.

Dg800
26th Nov 2012, 09:33
You forgot the explosive chewing gum (cue in Mission Impossible theme music). :ok:

A and C
26th Nov 2012, 09:57
This security thing is not new I had a dose of it in Paris back in 2001, what they don't tell you is the list of banned stuff inside the Embassy listed on the website is not exhaustive.

To avoid the tube and traffic I went to the US embassy by motorcycle and was not admitted while I was in possession of a motorcycle helmet and an electrically heated jacket............ More business for the news agent down the road !

Shack37
26th Nov 2012, 11:22
The local shopkeepers make a small fortune looking after your phones for you while you're in the embassy...

Yeah but their insurance premiums have probably gone sky high to cover the enormous risk:E

John Boeman
26th Nov 2012, 12:34
Strange. I've since checked with my wife and her recollection is same as mine. We left at least a two phones, car keys with electronic fobs and our twins Nintendo DS at the security gate. We were renewing US passports.

Nothing strange here. You were a US citizen renewing your passport in a US consulate building so were in a different category to most people there.

Everyone else posting here is an "alien" (love the way the US use that word), applying for a US visa and as such are treated as possible/probable terrorists until proved otherwise.

Nothing will be stored for us "foreigners" by US staff and if you forget that you have any banned item, you will have to get rid of it before joining the back of a very long slow-moving queue, as I saw happening to one or two unfortunate individuals.

ExSp33db1rd
26th Nov 2012, 21:38
Seriously, does it hurt that much to leave your phones/laptops/tablets at home for one day?

Maybe, Life revolves around them these days, sadly ( I blame Bill Gates ) and if not pre-warned - is one ? - then it could be a serious inconvenience.

course - in my day we just gave our passports for renewal, visas, etc to crew scheduling and 'someone' was detailed to go to the various embassies, consulates or whatever with a bunch of them and we picked them up next time we were at the airport -easy.

I recently flew, legally, over the top of LAX in a Cessna 172, no flight plan or clearance required, no pre-flight security checks, or anything, just drove up to the hangar and went, electronic car key and cellphone in pocket. I say no more, use your imagination.

Until a couple of years ago LAX security ( no pun intended ) allowed people to board the shuttle bus in the staff car park without any check, then transported them airside. Maybe there was some sort of restricted access to the car park in the first place, but the Bad Guys could easily have got around that I guess. I think they've cottoned on to that one now.

Do you also have to remove your shoes before entering the Embassy ?

World's Gone Mad.

cwatters
27th Nov 2012, 08:40
Nothing strange here. You were a US citizen renewing your passport in a US consulate building so were in a different category to most people there.

I'm not a US citizen but was attending with a relative who is. I suppose that may account for it though.

lambert
27th Nov 2012, 16:33
So you flew legally over LAX in a 125 - look what the US Air Force Attachés were doing in South Africa a few years ago:

Raytheon Beech 200 King Air
On 13 Apr 79 the South African Prime Minister, P Botha, announced that the Beechcraft C-12A (Super King Air 200) used by the American Ambassador had been used for reconnaissance activity over South Africa. The aircraft (reg: 60167) had been inspected by members of the South African security services who had discovered a hidden 70mm aerial camera under the pilots seat. They removed and developed the film which showed the aircraft had been systematically photographing large areas of South Africa including various sensitive military installations. South Africa expelled 3 American military attaches and demanded an apology from the USA, which was never given.

The US is obviously learning from itself!

WHBM
27th Nov 2012, 18:15
last time I renewed my us visa was the same, I left my iPad iphone in the car in a car park then took the tube, when I got to the embassy my car keys was a problem, where Do you leave your car keys ?

When I returned to the car it had been broken into, I lost my iPad and iphone.
Your car was probably broken into a few minutes after you left it, by those who had watched from a distance who was stowing key items in their boot (crowbar open) or glovebox (break window).

Put them in there before you park in a public place.

SLFandProud
27th Nov 2012, 20:42
Security theater - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_theater)

farsouth
27th Nov 2012, 21:42
Good link there SLFandProud - sums up my view of it anyway :ok:

Tolsti
28th Nov 2012, 02:06
I used to drive for Hallmark in 2010 and several times had to take crew up to the American Embassy to get their visas... usually Pink or Blue flight deck crew.

We always had them leave anything that remotely looked like a phone, pad, computer or key fob with us whilst they went in. I would then pop off down the road to an amazing cafe for a full breakfast for only 1.99 and wait for them with the items on me.

FIRESYSOK
30th Nov 2012, 02:42
If a terrorist has successfully planted a bomb in the Consulate, why would they visit the Consulate (thus possibly blowing themselves up in the process) instead of just triggering it from a safe distance, thus outside the Consulate's security perimeter?

It definitely sounds like paranoid bull****, unfortunately this wouldn't be the first case since 9/11. :{

It's their embassy. They can do whatever they want. Why don't you offer your security expertise to them directly and see how that goes over.

Phil Squares
30th Nov 2012, 10:19
Well, that is true to a point but in the end common sense should prevail. But it is far from being used.

About a month ago, my daughter and I went to the embassy to get a new passport for her. After living in other countries where we have done the same drill, we were surprised there was no storage facilities. So off to the Chemist we go. We were told nothing that had batteries could be taken in. This included key fobs and anything else. My daughter had a thumb drive that she was told there was no problem bringing in.

So off we go to the chemest and back we come only to stand in anohter line. (but that is another story). Shortly we were put through the security with her purse being x-rayed. She was asked if she had earphones in there. She is 17, so that was a pretty safe question. Sure enough she did.

She was told she could not take the earphones in! How about a little common sense being used. For the life of me I can not figure out what threat a pair of earphones could be!!! How about a little common sense.

The funny part was I told her to just throw them in the bin. The screening person told us, in no uncertain terms, they would have to be thrown out in a bin in the park! They could not toss them there. I give up.

But my daughter, being quick on her feet, went out to the park and put the earphones in a bunch of low plants and 45 minutes later retreived them with no issues at all.

noske
30th Nov 2012, 10:39
She was told she could not take the earphones in! How about a little common sense being used. For the life of me I can not figure out what threat a pair of earphones could be!!! How about a little common sense.
Haven't you seen "The Living Daylights" where the fake milk delivery man uses his earphones cord to strangle the first MI6 agent at the safe house?

Btw., were you allowed in with shoestrings in your shoes?

Dg800
30th Nov 2012, 11:28
It's their embassy. They can do whatever they want. Why don't you offer your security expertise to them directly and see how that goes over.

It's an Internet forum, where everyone can express their opinion even if you might not like it. Why don't you take your stupid and rude remarks somewhere else where they might be more appreciated? A forum for rude morons for example? :ok:

Gulfstreamaviator
3rd Dec 2012, 08:42
Travel by train, and no rain.

Arrive slightly early, no electronics on board, not even a pace maker, or set of headphones. Or even a hearing aid........

Out in less than 1 hour, all completed.

They insist on their nominated secure courier to deliver returned documents. So need to ensure at the nominated address for the few days that they might deliver.

Only trauma was for the rest of the day no communications for remaining business apointments, and long drive in rental car.

Did like the idea of leaving under a flower pot in park.... so James Bond.

Glf

mixture
3rd Dec 2012, 12:01
It is not only that but also the intelligence risk. Lots of small electronic devices can be hidden inside cellphones and key fobs. Everything from hidden USB drives, audio recording, GPS tracking, video taping, and photos and more. A modern smartphone already carries many of these features. Foreign intel and terrorists would exploit this information.

Nonsense.

Have you seen the size of your average US embassy ? Its not like the one room Ecuadorean palace where Mr Assange is hanging out.

I'm no expert, but I would hazard a guess that the secret squirrel stuff the US do in their embassies is in a separate part of the building well away from un-vetted eyes, no doubt also served by a different entrance. Hell, its probably in a different building altogether !

Sounds like someone has been watching too many Hollywood movies.