PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me?

spinex
22nd Nov 2012, 16:21
Mods feel free to delete or move, but I couldn't see any other way to raise this.

Over the past few weeks this sub-forum has become increasingly difficult to access, the page part opens with header etc visible but goes no further - little message at bottom of page says "waiting for ads.doubleclick.net", presumably your paid advertisers? Problem is neither the forum nor advertisers get any airtime and I merely point my browser elsewhere after a couple of goes:*

Arm out the window
22nd Nov 2012, 20:00
Mate, I had something very similar a month or two ago - PPrune would freeze up after a second or two, apparently waiting for that doubleclick net thing to do something.

Based on my experience, I'd say your problem's not the site or the advertisers, it's malware.

Using another computer, I got some good advice from people on the Computer Issues sub-forum of PPrune (where this should probably be) about spyware removal procedures. This is the thread I started:http://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/496713-internet-explorer-freezes-up-help.html

Unfortunately the things I tried didn't work, but what I did then was emailTrend Micro, our security program provider, which sparked off a series of correspondences which involved sending them log files, from which they prepared fixes for me to run by clicking on links. I didn't find out exactly what piece of malware was the culprit, but they fixed the problem very effectively.

It took a few goes but did the trick, and I was very impressed with their service. Good luck with it.

VH-XXX
22nd Nov 2012, 22:22
I've never had a problem with this site and I spend a *reasonable* amount of time browsing it.

spinex
22nd Nov 2012, 23:07
"reasonable";), I'll have to remember that term for when next I have to defend my browsing habits.

Thanks for the input though; what threw me was that this sub-forum is the only one where I have been having the issue and it hasn't arisen with any of my other regular haunts in cyberspace. Time for a dose of virtual Mortein in the hard drive methinks.

Arm out the window
23rd Nov 2012, 00:07
It was a site-specific thing for me, although not to sub-forum level. Some sites would work as normal, others (including the PPrune start page) would scroll and click as normal for about two seconds and then freeze.

Certainly, though, that ads.doubleclick thing sounds remarkably similar. I believe that's a legitimate service, but in my case it was hijacked by some malware. Since the Trend Micro fix, it's been plain sailing, thankfully.