PDA

View Full Version : Flying Instructor jobs in USA

TALLYHOCHAP
22nd Nov 2012, 15:50
Hi all,

Like lots of other people i have finished all my trainning a year ago and have had no luck with finding any suitable jobs for low houred pilots so i have done the fi course.

Yet again i am stuck in the same boat again spent more money on flying but still no chances of jobs even as an instructor.

I am thinking about going to the states to instruct over there at an EASA flying school.

Has any one instructed in the states? If so what school? any experiences instructing abroad? as i am happy to go where ever .

Any help/advice would be a huge help????

tallyhochaps

Gomrath
22nd Nov 2012, 21:50
A couple of points - you will need FAA certificates to fly here in the US.
To instruct you need a FAA Commercial and CFI.

The likelihood that you would get a visa for such employment in the US is close to nil. There is no shortage of instructors here.
Sorry but that is how it is..

Tinstaafl
24th Nov 2012, 22:09
Instructing in the USA might be a reasonable possibility. The person wrote that he or she had an EASA instructor rating, something that is needed to instruct EASA students, even if overseas. The US isn't exactly swarming with *EASA* qualified instructors so those schools holding EASA authorisations have a reasonable argument for visa sponsorship.

Still would need to get FAA Commercial, Instrument & CFI to cover operating an N reg. aircraft.

flystrathclyde
24th Nov 2012, 22:22
There are jobs around for GOOD instructors.

We recently ran an ad on PPRUNE for an additional instructor and as a result added to our team. I appreciate there are lots of pilots looking for work; but those dedicated to doing a good job will find work available.

We are expecting to be looking for additional instructors early next year to cover some expected expansion.....and replace those fortunate enough to progress to the airlines.

Don't give up hope in the UK!

Allan

jcr737
25th Nov 2012, 00:51
Hi,

Maybe this can help:

Australian Federation of Air Pilots - Pilot Jobs in Asia Pacific Region (http://www.afap.org.au/Jobs/Latest-Jobs/AFAP-Pilot-Jobs-.asp)

The requirements to gain an Aussie FIR,

6.3 An applicant for a flight instructor (aeroplane) rating grade 3 who holds or has held an overseas instructor authorisation is exempt from compliance with subparagraph 4.1 (a), if he or she:
(a) has received not less than 50 hours of flight instructor training in aeroplanes, comprising:
(i) not less than 10 hours dual flight instruction from a Grade 1 flight instructor at a flying school that has the approval to conduct instructor training endorsed on its AOC; and
(ii) the remaining hours in dual flight instruction, or mutual practice with another trainee instructor, in the course of training for the issue of the overseas instructor authorisation; and
(b) has received at least 12 hours instruction in instructional principles and methods covering the contents of the syllabus specified in Appendix I; and
(c) satisfies the requirements of subparagraphs 4.1 (d), (e) and (f).

What it says is that if you hold an overseas Instructor rating you can apply for an Australian Rating if you meet the requirements above. 50hrs minimum training, a NVFR, (minimum 10hrs night flying + test). You become a grade 3 instructor after a satisfactory flight with a CASA approved examiner. That's it in a nutshell, but be prepared for the usual bureaucratic interference. If your young enough I believe you may be able to get a working visa also??

Pace152
1st Dec 2012, 14:21
Thats all well and good but unless you've got the right to work in Oz it'd just be another licence for the collection - you've got to be realistic before you chuck loads of money at something.

Having said that if you're under 30 may'be you'd be allowed to work as an instructor under the working holiday visa but whether you'd get enough hours in to make it worth it in 6 months or not I don't know. Could be an option though :ok: