PDA

View Full Version : North Sea News

Pages : 1 [2]

meanttobe
12th Dec 2013, 17:04
EC225 issues impact CHC?s revenue - News - Shephard (http://www.shephardmedia.com/news/rotorhub/ec225-issues-impact-chcs-revenue/)

Savoia
13th Dec 2013, 11:20
Helicopter lands safely after emergency is declared at Sumburgh Airport

A full emergency was declared at Sumburgh Airport this morning when an incoming Bristow helicopter with 20 people on board alerted Shetland Coastguard of a problem.

The “pan pan” message conveying a “state of urgency” with the helicopter needing to land was received at 10.15am by coastguards, who alerted teams from Lerwick, Sumburgh and Noness to respond.

Fire appliances from Lerwick and Sandwick were called to the scene and stood by while the helicopter landed safely. No-one was injured in the incident.

Helicopter lands safely after emergency is declared at Sumburgh Airport | The Shetland Times Ltd (http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2013/12/13/helicopter-lands-safely-after-emergency-is-declared-at-sumburgh-airport/)

Richard Taylor
13th Dec 2013, 11:29
BBC News - Marathon Oil selling UK offshore assets (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-25362993)

The latest to put its assets in the UKCS up for sale; in this case its entire UK assets including Brae. Wants to concentrate on shale oil/gas in the US apparently, seeing greater value there.

Any implications for CHC depending on who picks up the assets?

Impression I get is the larger North American companies are beginning to draw back from the North Sea - Talisman, Chevron (allegedly) & now Marathon.

Bravo73
13th Dec 2013, 13:12
Helicopter lands safely after emergency is declared at Sumburgh Airport | The Shetland Times Ltd (http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2013/12/13/helicopter-lands-safely-after-emergency-is-declared-at-sumburgh-airport/)

Wow. Another busy day at the Shetland Times, eh? :rolleyes:

"Helicopter lands safely". That hardly counts as 'North Sea News', does it Sav? :confused:

meanttobe
14th Dec 2013, 00:30
Rumour BP have awarded CHC Norway the Valhalla contract. 2 aircraft for 5 yrs starting sept14.

TiPwEiGhT
14th Dec 2013, 06:00
Valhall shuttle contract for CHC. Bristow Norway currently has the crew change and will begin the new 5 year crew change contract on 1 Jan 14.

Grenville Fortescue
14th Dec 2013, 17:44
The S 92 is becoming more and more popular.

Cockpit ergonomics has been attentively developed for the past 20 years but cabin ergonomics doesn't seem to have received quite the same attention from some manufacturers. The S92 cabin is considered by many to be best in class and safest in class.

Savoia
15th Dec 2013, 07:40
I imagine had that paragon of posting prowess 'Shell Management' still been around he would have said ..

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-AqwPPD7NGbM/UqzYyjFTLZI/AAAAAAAAQKg/ikTNekzf_4U/w817-h511-no/SAA+92.png

;)

TiPwEiGhT
15th Dec 2013, 09:01
Well said Sav!

Unfortunately ergonomics never made it to the S-92 cockpit.

TiP.

Savoia
16th Dec 2013, 19:21
[WARNING: Bravo73 TURN AWAY NOW]

CHC Super Puma cockpit warning

A SECOND full scale helicopter emergency in four days was launched at Sumburgh airport on Monday when a Super Puma with 19 people on board put out an alert.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2013/8/25/1377416371676/A-CHC-Super-Puma-AS332-L2-008.jpg

The CHC operated aircraft was 60 miles east of the airport when a warning light went off in the cockpit.

Three fire engines, two police cars and an ambulance were on the scene when the chopper landed safely shortly after 3.30pm.

On Friday a Sikorsky S-92 operated by Bristow sparked a similar alert when a warning light was activated as it flew oil workers offshore, eventually landing safely at Sumburgh.

Another chopper alert | Shetland News (http://www.shetnews.co.uk/newsbites/7754-another-chopper-alert)

TiPwEiGhT
17th Dec 2013, 08:05
Got to love the education journalists are getting nowadays. "A warning light went off", surely thats a good thing? Right?

TiP

HeliComparator
17th Dec 2013, 08:20
Well I suppose it could be a bad thing if it goes off because all the wiring is finally burnt through - but otherwise I suspect you are right!

Savoia
17th Dec 2013, 11:16
EC225 Cockpit Warning Light - Again!!

Incidents of warning lights coming on in cockpits seem to be a regular occurrence on helicopters bound for the North Sea. Our STV colleagues have more about this morning's alert at Aberdeen Airport.

A Super Puma helicopter was forced to land at Aberdeen Airport after a caution light came on the cockpit.

http://nfs.stvfiles.com/imagebase/165/623x349/165815-a-chc-scotia-super-puma-ec225-at-aberdeen-airport.jpg
Emergency landing: Super Puma EC225 lands at Aberdeen Airport after caution light comes on

The Eurocopter EC225 landed at around 8.15am on Tuesday and emergency services were mobilised.

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service attended but were not required and the helicopter landed safely.

A spokeswoman for helicopter operator CHC said it landed as a “precautionary measure”.

A spokeswoman for Aberdeen Airport confirmed a helicopter emergency landed at the airport at around 8.15am.

A spokesman for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said: “We received a call at 8.10am on Tuesday reporting a full emergency in relation to a helicopter.

“We responded however the helicopter landed safely without incident and we returned to base.”

A spokeswoman for helicopter operators CHC said: “We had an EC225 helicopter land safely at Aberdeen Airport at around 8.15am on Tuesday after a caution light came on.

“The airport mobilised the emergency services as a matter of routine however we would stress that this was a non-emergency event and the aircraft landed as a precautionary measure.

“Safety is always a priority and the helicopter landed at the airport as a precautionary measure. It will be inspected by engineers before being returned to service.”

Super Puma lands at Aberdeen Airport after caution light comes on | Aberdeen & North | News | STV (http://news.stv.tv/north/257145-super-puma-lands-at-aberdeen-airport-after-caution-lights-comes-on/)

Savoia
17th Dec 2013, 11:26
To summarise:

Fri 13 Dec - Bristow S92 precautionary landing Sumburgh

Mon 16 Dec - CHC Super Puma precautionary landing Sumburgh

Tue 17 Dec - CHC Super Puma precautionary landing Aberdeen

jimf671
17th Dec 2013, 12:34
Eh ... on my planet, G-CHCH is an L2. Oh never mind.

To summarise:

Fri 13 Dec - Bristow S92 precautionary landing Sumburgh

Mon 16 Dec - CHC Super Puma .. eh what? ... precautionary landing Sumburgh

Tue 17 Dec - CHC Super Puma EC225 precautionary landing Aberdeen

Hot_LZ
17th Dec 2013, 14:26
I think the media might be dipping into their bank of photos again. This morning was a 225.

LZ

SASless
17th Dec 2013, 17:34
I imagine had that paragon of posting prowess 'Shell Management' still been around he would have said ..

A thousand Comedians out of work....and there you sit making jokes!:ok:

Bravo73
17th Dec 2013, 18:09
To summarise:

Fri 13 Dec - Bristow S92 landed safely Sumburgh

Mon 16 Dec - CHC Super Puma landed safely Sumburgh

Tue 17 Dec - CHC Super Puma landed safely Aberdeen

:E

RotorIP
18th Dec 2013, 02:43
What does that mean when a caution light comes on??
Seems like the offshore helo industry has a lot of problems from the pilot posts about ergonomics and caution lights with all the types....

9Aplus
21st Jan 2014, 20:56
Helicopter safety - UK Parliament (http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/transport-committee/inquiries/parliament-2010/helicopter-safety/)

21 January 2014
The Committee will be holding a public evidence session on offshore helicopter safety at the University of Aberdeen on 27 January.

The Transport Committee (http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/transport-committee/)
Inquiry page: Offshore helicopter safety (http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/transport-committee/inquiries/parliament-2010/helicopter-safety/)

Commenting ahead of the visit, Louise Ellman MP, chair of the Transport Committee said today,
“Helicopter accidents in the offshore sector is a major cause for concern. After the events of last summer involving helicopter fatalities off the Shetland Isles, the Committee decided to look closely at what might be done to curb the risks that offshore workers face from helicopter transport. We are coming to Aberdeen to hear from workers themselves, oil and gas firms, helicopter manufacturers, operators and pilots.”
Monday 27 January, Linklater Rooms, University of Aberdeen
Witnesses:

3.00 pm

Luke Farajallah, Managing Director, Bond Offshore Helicopters
Duncan Trapp, Vice President, Safety and Quality, CHC Helicopter
Mike Imlach, Director, Bristow Helicopters
Steve Todd, National Secretary, RMT
Captain Colin Milne, Chairman of BALPA’s Helicopter Affairs Committee
John Taylor, Officer, Unite the Union

4.00 pm

Gilles Bruniaux, Vice President, Fleet Safety, Airbus Helicopters
Robert Paterson, Health, Safety and Employment Issues Director, Oil & Gas UK
David Eherts, Vice President Environmental, Health and Safety and Chief Safety Officer, Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation
Alex Sharp, Sales Director, Europe, Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation

Written submissions to the inquiry should be submitted online:

Send a written submission to the inquiry (http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/transport-committee/inquiries/parliament-2010/helicopter-safety/commons-written-submission-form/)

If you are considering sending a written submission please read the following guidelines:

Guidance on written submissions (http://www.parliament.uk/get-involved/have-your-say/take-part-in-committee-inquiries/commons-witness-guide/)

SASless
21st Jan 2014, 21:52
Ten Witnesses to testify in two hours.....my....now that is going to allow for really detailed presentations isn't it?:confused:

Were any Line Pilots invited to chat with the Pollies?

Did the AAIB not get invited?

Perhaps the CAA is tied up and can not make it either.

bigglesbutler
22nd Jan 2014, 03:53
Were any Line Pilots invited to chat with the Pollies?

I've only been away from ABZ for 8 months but last I was there Captain Colin Milne was a current 332/225 Captain as well as a BALPA rep.

Si

SASless
22nd Jan 2014, 11:36
Biggles.....does BALPA's Organizational Interests always fit hand in glove with Pilot's interests?

Do you reckon there might be some who see things differently than the BALPA Representative?

Just how much input will he have in the Ten minutes allotted to him by the schedule?

Has BALPA done an out-reach effort and solicited input from its members and included those inputs into their submission to the Panel?

bigglesbutler
22nd Jan 2014, 13:36
SASless, I wasn't having a poke but merely pointing it out. Having known the gentleman in question I am confident in saying his raison d'etre is purely in the interest of the members not BALPA house. He is an upstanding and honest man and if he can bring a taste of what the line pilots feel he most certainly will.

I know what you mean as yet again it seems the people at the sharp end have been bypassed but you surely can't expect people to pay attention to us when there are many MANY people with fancy degrees proving they are so much better at this than us :E.

Im off to bed, have fun but fly safe folks.

Si

SASless
22nd Jan 2014, 13:59
I know the fella....and concur in what you say.

Bluenose 50
31st Jan 2014, 20:44
The UK Transport Select Committee held hearings on Offshore Helicopter Safety in Aberdeen on 28th January 2014.

The televised record plus a pdf transcript of evidence is now available on the Transport Select Committee website easily accessed via Google.

The evidence provided covers several topics in Rotorheads so I will leave it up to the Mods to decide where this input best sits.

I personally found Captain Colin Milne's evidence measured, highly informative and re-assuring.

BN 50

Tango123
31st Jan 2014, 21:48
UNCORRECTED TRANSCRIPT OF ORAL EVIDENCE To be published as HC 953-i (http://data.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/WrittenEvidence.svc/EvidenceHtml/5622)

Tango123
31st Jan 2014, 21:56
Just going through some of the statements:
Colin Milne: Could I perhaps expand on that point a little from a pilot’s point of view? In terms of spare capacity, it is very important to have a diversified fleet as well as redundancy within each individual fleet. For example, nearly two years ago we had the grounding of the Eurocopter EC225 fleet, which was becoming very much the predominant aircraft on the UK North Sea. The grounding of that aircraft caused an immense problem in terms of availability of aircraft. By contrast, in the Norwegian sector where, although the 225 perhaps was not predominant, there was plenty of spare capacity. My understanding is that not a single flight was lost by the Norwegian clients because they had invested in sufficient spare capacity to cope, not only with weather delays—because clearly in the North Sea there are quite often severe weather and fog delays and you have to have catch-up capacity—but they also had the ability to cope with grounding of half of the fleet.

Is this true?

I had the impression that the norwegian fleet is almost S92 and they would in the same situation if this type would be grounded.....

TiPwEiGhT
1st Feb 2014, 06:57
Tango123,

Bristows fleet is mostly S92 (2 x SAR 225). CHC has a mixed fleet of S92, 225 and 332.

cyclic
1st Feb 2014, 13:05
Maybe he was referring to capacity in general terms i.e. spare airframes, more crews etc.

TiPwEiGhT
1st Feb 2014, 14:07
The spare/backups get used daily due to customers demanding them for extra activity. So when one does go tech there is rarely a spare available. And no surprises that the customer gets annoyed because they don't have a spare "spare" in their contract.

Having a 24/7 airport is very helpful as they will operate throughout the night to cover backlog unlike ABZ. Just means we get to bed alot later.

SASless
1st Feb 2014, 14:16
I wish I had the time to go through the transcript and make some pointed comments about some of the responses. Straight out of the Gate it started off with "Nothing to do with us!"....and in my view after reading just a page or so.....went down hill from there pretty much.

I liked the comment about the probability of escape from a helicopter in the water is dependent upon on how high it came down from! I thought it was the Rate of Descent at the time of impact with the Water that had far more effect than mere "height" it descended from.

Don't these "Learned" Folks asking the questions ever hire qualified Experts to craft their queries for them?

26500lbs
1st Feb 2014, 17:08
Just read through the whole transcript. Am I the only one who finds the responses very worrying. The only one who spoke any sense was Colin Milne. The others were just trying to defend their patch and certainly not open to examination of any areas of weakness.

There are far, far more differences between the UK and Norway than Duncan Trapp would care to allude. Amongst other things and entirely different working culture. The point about the oil companies and state involvement is an important one though as well as the key role of unions in overall safety and contracts in the Norwegian sector.

Variable Load
1st Feb 2014, 18:58
far, far more differences between the UK and Norway than Duncan Trapp would care to allude

Would you care to enlighten us all as to the where this vast gulf exists? It should be easy based on what you just stated.

cyclic
1st Feb 2014, 19:13
One thing I have noticed working alongside a Norwegian company staffed with mainly Scandinavian pilots is that they don't stand for much nonsense. Whether this translates to their safety culture I don't know but we are still very hierarchical in the UK and more subservient. I have read the transcript and there were no surprises, you have to ask the right questions of the right people.

Variable Load
1st Feb 2014, 19:37
So the problem in the UK sector is subservient pilots?

cyclic
1st Feb 2014, 20:35
So the problem in the UK sector is subservient pilots?

I didn't say that and I wasn't referring to just pilots or our industry. Unlike many in this industry who seem to have all the answers, I was just putting an opinion out there based on an observation. If the Norwegians do have a different culture, then maybe it is worth taking a look; it would arrogant to assume our misfortune is all down to bad luck.

Woolf
2nd Feb 2014, 04:20
It would arrogant to assume our misfortune is all down to bad luck.

I totally agree! However on the flip side so would it be arrogant to assume that not having misfortune is all down to doing everything right (which is something that some of our colleagues are very good at). I've experienced many people in this industry believing that what they do and how they do things is best and not other approach seems worthy of consideration, in fact some companies seem to base their whole culture around this. I always thought that that in itself was a big whole in the cheese!

Everyday is a school day and I'm sure there are many things we can and should learn or copy from our Norwegian counterparts same as they could certainly learn a few things from operators here in the UK. A more open dialog would certainly help and maybe someone from Norway could elaborate a bit more on how they perceive things?

As an aside if there is one thing I've learned in life sofar it's smirking at someone else's misfortune might be gratifying in the short term but you usually you end up with egg on your face before you know it.

W

Variable Load
2nd Feb 2014, 08:37
it would arrogant to assume our misfortune is all down to bad luck.

I totally agree, hence my question to 26500. I hope he can expand on his statement with some solid facts based on personal experience.

OMFG666
2nd Feb 2014, 09:35
....how they perceive things?

A few observations:
The SOP briefs are extreme in their lenght, informative only for the first 20 seconds. It's considered theatrics from most non-brits.

Same goes for WX brief, where one pilot briefs the other guy looking at the same information....the louder seems to be better for some reason ;)

Aberdeen tower : what's the point of an ATIS when you have to read the whole story back ?:confused:

It's very much a blame culture vs just culture, even though the SOP's are the same on both sides

jimf671
2nd Feb 2014, 14:02
... ... we are still very hierarchical in the UK and more subservient. ...

Yes. Some industries suffer more than others but although the days of 4 works canteens to provide for various classes of plebian are, thankfully, behind us (just), in the league table of worshippers of position and bu115h1t, the UK has a sorry grand place. :ugh:

These differences between the UK and Scandinavia are a frequent matter for discussion in this household ;).

Long live the revolution.

... ... I have read the transcript and there were no surprises, you have to ask the right questions of the right people.

Which requires knowledge and intelligence rather than position and bull****.

26500lbs
2nd Feb 2014, 15:29
I totally agree, hence my question to 26500. I hope he can expand on his statement with some solid facts based on personal experience.

VL - a public forum not the place to go into too much detail for all and sundry to view, but I hope those who are in a position to affect change are speaking to the right people and visiting the right places. Things are not perfect in Norway, and they know that and readily admit it. They go to good lengths regularly to identify their own weaknesses and do not operate a blame culture in any way, shape or form. They are very keenly following all that has happened in the UK sector and have been proactive in modifying training to deal with some of the perceived shortfalls that have caused accidents and incidents in the past and not just post-Sumburgh. One very important thing I believe has also been their ability not to over complicate things when it is not necessary and maintain a "common-sense” approach.
They have also been good at resisting external pressure to undermine them and overly complicate their ops. They have clear areas where they will not budge and one is training. They have made sure that they keep a very close control on training despite pressure to outsource.
Get on a plane and spend a day in a Norwegian planning room then a day in a UK one. Again things are not perfect in Norway, but in general the pilots are better looked after, have better rosters, therefore more time away from base which perhaps translates to them being more motivated when at work. The culture is far less of a hierarchy, where everyone has a far more equal say. Even the cockpit gradient is far flatter than some might be used to in the UK. Many things over the years have contributed to this but there is a far less competitive environment internally than one typically finds in the UK. Take care of your people and they will take care of you.

cyclic
2nd Feb 2014, 15:37
The SOP briefs are extreme in their lenght, informative only for the first 20 seconds. It's considered theatrics from most non-brits.

Same goes for WX brief, where one pilot briefs the other guy looking at the same information....the louder seems to be better for some reason

Aberdeen tower : what's the point of an ATIS when you have to read the whole story back ?

These are spot on - not a direct relationship to safety but quite true. An SOP is one that we all should know, so why brief it unless it is going to be different for some reason. Already, we can see what other nations working alongside the "best in the world" think of our sometimes eccentric ways.

Long live the revolution.

Maybe Mr Brand is right... (http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/05/russell-brand-democratic-system-newsnight)

important thing I believe has also been their ability not to over complicate things when it is not necessary

Again, spot on. Everyday our operations become more complicated yet the job hasn't changed for a long time. I sometimes feel like I have to be a lawyer to get the aircraft off the ground.

Variable Load
4th Feb 2014, 13:38
26500, thanks for your reply.

A simple response from me :
Blame culture - partially agree
Complicated SOP - agree
Outsourced training - agree
Rosters - agree
Cockpit gradient - don't agree as a culture, but perhaps individuals
Less competitive - agree

Have a safe one......

212man
4th Feb 2014, 14:24
They have made sure that they keep a very close control on training despite pressure to outsource. Get on a plane and spend a day in a Norwegian planning room then a day in a UK one. Again things are not perfect in Norway, but in general the pilots are better looked after, have better rosters, therefore more time away from base which perhaps translates to them being more motivated when at work. The culture is far less of a hierarchy, where everyone has a far more equal say. Even the cockpit gradient is far flatter than some might be used to in the UK. Many things over the years have contributed to this but there is a far less competitive environment internally than one typically finds in the UK. Take care of your people and they will take care of you.

It's amazing what you can negotiate when you have the world's highest GNI Per Capita (depending on which metric you take)......:E

SASless
4th Feb 2014, 15:44
Which requires knowledge and intelligence rather than position and bull****.

Don't sugar coat it....tell us what your really think!:ok:

A long time ago i suggested a "Shields Down" review of the UK Offshore Helicopter Industry to include every facet of it....private business, government, the lot.

I also said the chances of that happening are about as likely as my being elected King.

The Panel that met in Aberdeen confirmed I have no need to pack any suitcases just yet.:=

26500lbs
4th Feb 2014, 19:53
I also said the chances of that happening are about as likely as my being elected King.

The Panel that met in Aberdeen confirmed I have no need to pack any suitcases just yet.

As I was reading the transcript, the hearing the words “shield down” kept ringing in my ears. Unfortunately what I was reading was quite a long way from “shields down”. In fact I would go so far as to say shields were positively up and armed.
No room for you yet at Balmoral old boy!

jimf671
4th Feb 2014, 23:43
... ... every facet of it....private business, government, the lot. ...

Steady old boy! You'll be wanting us to throw the tea overboard next! :)

John Eacott
21st Aug 2014, 23:24
148 flown from oil platform after power outage (http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland/top-stories/148-flown-from-oil-platform-after-power-outage-1-3515932)

That would have taken a bit of flying time: was anyone here involved?

NEARLY 150 oil workers had to be flown off a North Sea platform after a power cut left it in darkness.

A total of 148 non-essential rig personnel were flown off oil giant Shell’s Nelson platform by helicopter on Tuesday.

And one of the helicopters making the transfer to an offshore accommodation unit had to make an unscheduled landing on another oil platform after a cockpit light came on.

A Shell spokeswoman yesterday described the rig incident as a “non-emergency” situation.

She said: “Shell UK Limited can confirm that there was a power outage on the Nelson platform, which is located approximately 124 miles east north-east of Aberdeen.

“Nelson was shut down for maintenance at the time and was not producing oil or gas.

“Work to restore main power on the platform continues with essential staff on board.

“As a precaution a non-emergency operation to remove staff to the nearby Borgholm Dolphin flotel was carried out yesterday.

“Personnel will be transported back to the Nelson platform or to Aberdeen over the next 48 hours as appropriate. There are no reports of any injuries as a result of this outage.

“The relevant authorities have been informed.”

Only 19 of the the 167 staff on board were left on the platform following the downmanning.

The platform was not producing oil or gas at the time of the blackout.

CHC confirmed that one of their helicopters was diverted to an Apache-operated platform in the Forties field before completing the passenger transfer.

It is understood it was not an emergency situation.

A spokeswoman for helicopter firm CHC said: “A helicopter was diverted and landed safely on the Forties Delta platform after a cockpit light was observed by the pilot.”

The power outage took place on the Nelson platform, 124 miles north east of Aberdeen, just before 6am on Tuesday.

The rig was undergoing planned maintenance when there was a loss of power at 5.50am.

RMT regional organiser Jake Molloy said yesterday that Shell had done “the right thing” in the circumstances.

He said: “Shell contacted us and gave us a briefing on this - a pre-cautionary downmanning due to a lack of power.

“This is what should be done in those circumstances.

“If there is no power for the life support services - air conditioning, lighting and such - you have got to put the guys to a place of safety - in this case the Borgholm Dolphin.

“Shell said it was hoping to get the platform up and running again as soon as possible.

“You can’t leave people on installations when you have power outages.”

by ALAN SHIELDS

http://www.scotsman.com/webimage/1.3515931.1408556342!/image/1141282921.jpg_gen/derivatives/articleImgDeriv_628px/1141282921.jpg

John Eacott
13th Dec 2014, 21:59
Oil workers airlifted off North Sea platform after nearby vessel fire (http://news.stv.tv/north/303279-fire-broke-out-on-edda-frende-vessel-near-north-sea-lomond-platform/)

A North Sea oil platform has been partially evacuated after a supply vessel caught fire 12 miles from the installation.

Around 150 workers were taken off the Lomond platform after a blaze broke out on the Edda Frende around 6am on Friday.

Platform bosses feared the Norwegian vessel, which was under contract to Shell, would collide with the BG Group-operated rig.

But the Frende was later brought under tow and is being taken to Aberdeen for repairs.

A BG Group spokesman said: "We took a precautionary step to demobilise personnel from its Lomond platform and Borgholm Dolphin flotel this morning.

"This was due to the potential risk posed by a stricken vessel some 12 miles away.

"Although the threat of a collision was small we decided to ensure as many of our people as possible were removed from any potential incident. The Lomond platform has been shut in since October as it undergoes a major investment and maintenance programme.”

A spokesman for Frende owners Østensjø Rederi added: "Our platform supply vessel, Edda Frende, reported a fire in the ship's engine room. The fire was quickly extinguished and the situation is now under control.

"The crew are safe and are doing fine. There are no injuries to any of the 14 crew members onboard. The ship was on its way from Aberdeen to the oilfield on British sector and will now return to Aberdeen for investigation and repair."

The coastguard were made aware of the incident but did not dispatch any assets.

Non event? Over reaction?

DOUBLE BOGEY
13th Dec 2014, 22:13
John, just what did you prefer.......an "Event".

Too much time on your hands.

John Eacott
13th Dec 2014, 22:31
DB,

Never too much time: retirement means there are never enough hours in the day!

The report stated that "Although the threat of a collision was small", hence my query whether it was an over reaction. We live in risk averse times and sometimes the decisions made are not always as balanced as they could be.

Now to get back to finishing the mowing: only 2 acres left to go ;)

Non-Driver
18th Dec 2014, 13:03
Return to the Nineties ?

BBC News - North Sea oil industry 'close to collapse' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30525539)

212man
18th Dec 2014, 15:25
A slightly dramatic headline, I would suggest, although given that the 'senior industry leader' quoted is a director of a company whose share price has dropped from 350p to 160p in 3 months, I guess it's fair to say he will have an uncomfortable perspective! :uhoh:

Clever Richard
19th Dec 2014, 10:26
Here is a slightly different perspective:

BBC News - North Sea oil collapse fears 'too dramatic' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30545300)

Don't forget the BBC is stuffed full of climate change obsessed lefties who blame 'big oil' for everything. The BBC would love to see an end to fossil fuel usage and that we get our electricity, on a rationed basis, from useless expensive and intermittent windmills.

Don't believe me, read any of the sh*te from the BBC Science/Environment section that happens not to employ any journalist with a science qualification.

John Eacott
20th Dec 2014, 02:20
Oil and gas firms may have to charter boats or bigger helicopters after EU ruling (https://www.energyvoice.com/other-news/healthandsafety/71313/oil-gas-firms-may-charter-boats-bigger-helicopters-eu-ruling/)

Oil and gas firms may have to charter boats or hire bigger helicopters to accommodate overweight workers after the European Court of Justice (ECJ) decided obese people can be classed as disabled.

Businesses are being warned to expect widespread and expensive consequences after law chiefs in Luxembourg ruled that being overweight qualifies as a disability.

The judgment follows the sacking of Karsten Kaltoft, a 25-stone childminder from Denmark.

The council he worked for said it was making redundancies based on a decrease in the number of youngsters who required childminding, and did not disclose whether Mr Kaltoft’s size played any part in its decision to let him go.

Mr Kaltoft reportedly needed help tying his shoelaces and struggled with physical tasks.

The ECJ’s ruling is binding in all EU member states and could offer crucial protection to offshore workers who fall foul of new helicopter safety legislation limiting the size of people travelling to North Sea platforms.

Industry body Oil and Gas UK has been closely watching the case in case there are implications for offshore firms.

They will now have to find ways of accommodating overweight workers so they are not at a disadvantage compared with slimmer colleagues.

Neil Fraser, employment law partner at north-east law firm Aberdein Considine, said: “With obesity on the increase, the cost to the state and private enterprise of fat rights could be frightening.

“The consequences of formal legal rights and protections for the obese could be widespread and expensive.”

The Civil Aviation Authority has already ruled that oil workers who cannot fit through a helicopter’s emergency window while in a survival suit will not fly after April 2015.

But the regulator has insisted options will be explored to avoid any negative impact.

Kirk Tudhope, employment law partner at Aberdeen law firm Ledingham Chalmers, said: “Although this is clearly an issue for industries where a reasonable level of fitness and mobility is required, it is difficult to identify any employers who may not be adversely affected by obesity in the workforce.”

Pamela Struth, human resources (HR) expert at Aberdeen HR, health and safety and employment-law firm Empire, said: “The offshore industry has already received new rules this year in relation to safety requirements for helicopter passengers.

“This ruling by the ECJ may provide another hurdle for such employers.”

Written by Keith Findlay - 19/12/2014 6:00 am

Boudreaux Bob
20th Dec 2014, 02:27
The US Army is selling some Surplus CH-47's.....they should be big enough!

cyclic
20th Dec 2014, 09:28
EC175 - lots of them, windows you could get a S92 through.

21st Dec 2014, 16:59
Don't discriminate against them for their size, that opens you up to litigation as you may be denying them basic 'human rights' - just make the fatties pass a fitness for work test every year:E

jimf671
21st Dec 2014, 17:35
... - just make the fatties pass a fitness for work test every year:E

Great idea. Something realistic and practical. Perhaps running twice the length of a supermarket aisle with a 12 litre pack of Irn Bru.