PDA

View Full Version : Jet2- Dart group.

Ivan aromer
22nd Nov 2012, 08:28
The (good) results from Dart Group have just been announced. As a result share price on the rise. 113pence atm. PM will be happy with his HUGE share holding. Sunday Times rich list again:?

bluepilot
22nd Nov 2012, 08:37
Turnover up 31% profits up 37% ! Good to see success in these hard times.

LGW Vulture
22nd Nov 2012, 08:43
Dear old Phillip - took me to lunch one day......a little sandwich shop in Victoria, he then remembered he had no money - so I paid. He was worth about £30 million then. :ouch:

ericlday
22nd Nov 2012, 08:55
Just like the Queen, she carries no money !!!!

MaxReheat
22nd Nov 2012, 09:08
PM was previously an RAF officer, too; no need for money, just put it on the mess bill.:ok:

Agaricus bisporus
22nd Nov 2012, 09:31
Shame on the RAF!

Just like you do with your Visa card then?

CFMFan
22nd Nov 2012, 14:24
This should keep the "Jet 2 will go bust anyday now" merchants quiet...for a day at least.

chaps2011
22nd Nov 2012, 15:59
As they say look after the pennies.
Good luck to them they have worked hard to get where they are in a very difficult
climate. Much of their business may well of been earned from Thomas Cook.

Chaps

Smudger
22nd Nov 2012, 17:03
Max..... A Mess Bill which has to be paid in full by the 10th of the next month... otherwise one is in deep poo... rich list or not lol

HOODED
22nd Nov 2012, 17:05
A lot of this is because thy operate older aircraft and don't have expensive lease costs on newer aircraft. The trick seems to be maintain them well and expect less reliability but have spare ac to cover this. They did however have to do a lot of sub leasing this year because of tech problems and late delivery of aircraft they bought. They still turned out these results, well done them! Not bad for an airline that saw a hugely undeserved market at LBA and took advantage of it. Just look at them now!!:ok:

racedo
22nd Nov 2012, 17:55
Declaring a profit can be easy but companies have gone bust after declaring profits.

Few companies goes bust with lots of cash in the bank.

I haven't yet read their results but I am assumming that cash flow is good which means they will be around for another while.

Smudger
22nd Nov 2012, 18:14
Hooded... I think you meant underserved .. but richly deserved lol

Racedo... you still can't give it up can you.. Jet 2 have been doing well.. are doing well... and will continue to do well... get over it.. do yourself a favour and read the results.. jeez...

chaps2011
22nd Nov 2012, 18:26
Racedo.
Pre-tax profits for the half year grew from £41.6m to £57m while turnover increased from £445.7m to £584.5m.

Chaps

lederhosen
22nd Nov 2012, 18:36
Having spent a bit of time in low fare finder house I am delighted to hear the results are good. Nowhere is perfect but I think Jet2 have a pretty decent operation.

Aeromaniac
22nd Nov 2012, 18:53
I think Jet2 have a pretty decent operation

Maybe for some cheap passenger seats, maybe some of the money comes from getting new crews to pay for type ratings, 70% contracts, contract pilots and no pay scale increments. That not to mention the other little savers like buying your own crew food.

Why have people been turning them down recently for better jobs.
As I read on another thread, it's all a race to the bottom for the employees, but who cares as long as the company posted a profit this time.
Remains to been seen what happens next.

Smudger
22nd Nov 2012, 19:22
Aero... wake up and smell the coffee as they say.. this is how it is these days like it or not... it's a hard-nosed world out there and one of the reasons that Jet2 is doing so well in the current environment is that we realise that.. so we take our own food to work, we work hard and we end up posting enviable figures.. no, it's not perfect on the coal face by any means... there is a lot of blood and sweat being shed but we are cracking it ... the money goes in my bank on the dot at the end of the month (and always has without fail for the past eighteen years) and that's all that matters... why do so many people just want to drag us down in public fora such as this ? Jealousy maybe ?

chaps2011
22nd Nov 2012, 19:27
Least those guys have a job, how many airlines gone to the wall this year
or very close

Chaps

Smudger
22nd Nov 2012, 19:32
Exactly Chaps, thank you

lagerlout
22nd Nov 2012, 19:36
Or maybe Jet2 are not an airline crippled by the excesses of the past like SAS and others.

Whilst they might not be everyones cup of tea, any airline turning a profit in the UK today deserves credit.

If that means that the crew have to make their own sandwich and they only offer 70% contracts to some pilots then so be it. Its about ensuring that the business is fit for purpose.

As the interim results suggest the business is increasinly seasonal. Pretty sure that pilots are not the only seasonal staff.

But hey each to their own, if you dont like them thats completely your perogative, i am sure there will be a company in the middle east who will happily line your pockets and massage your ego.

Happy flying.

lederhosen
22nd Nov 2012, 19:39
Aeromaniac obviously does not work for them, so hardly has an inside view. As I said nothing is perfect, but I and my colleagues were most impressed by the Leeds operation and the generally upbeat atmosphere.

I do not believe the simplistic rant that it is just a race to the bottom. I think Jet2 and others have created well paid jobs for a lot of people, particularly ex RAF. The idea that these jobs are at someone else's expense is at best unproven. In my opinion Jet2 has built a solid business in a neglected area.

The fact is that overall there are dramatically more pilots with well paid flying jobs than ten or twenty years ago. How many jet captain jobs are there in Leeds today compared to earlier?

Smudger
22nd Nov 2012, 19:51
Lager, you got it in one. We ARE increasingly seasonal.. but that is the plan! We make lots of money in the summer, and accept that we will lose money over the winter. The overall plot is a successful one ... the company will continue to grow and thrive... the results speak for themselves... and as you say if you don't like it then you are at liberty to go and work for somebody else. I'm off to bed .. my head hurts

racedo
22nd Nov 2012, 19:52
Racedo... you still can't give it up can you.. Jet 2 have been doing well.. are doing well... and will continue to do well... get over it.. do yourself a favour and read the results.. jeez...

Have never commented on Jet2 financial situation good or bad, highlighting that profit is good while cash in bank is ever better.

Lord Spandex Masher
22nd Nov 2012, 19:54
Having worked for an airline in the past that did supply crew food I'd like to say that my own sarnies are much tastier and I am a lot healthier because Jet 2 doesn't supply me with food.

Artie Fufkin
22nd Nov 2012, 20:59
Racedo; is this what you are after? From the Chairman's statement;

Cash and money market deposits increased by £54.8m in the period (2011: £0.6m), resulting in a balance of £206.8m (2011: £107.4m) at the end of the half year.

The only worry is the continual emphasis on "our business is becoming increasingly seasonal".

Travel Agent
22nd Nov 2012, 21:45
Most people buy their own lunch, so what if your 38,000ft up, whats the difference?

Jet2 and Jet2holidays deserve all the success in the world, as far as I am concerned they have excellent staff that I have dealt with both on the frontline and in the parts of the business customers do not see.

Keep up the good work!

2Planks
22nd Nov 2012, 22:17
Anybody who has flamed Jet2 (or is going to) should read the Thomas Cook Fleet Reduction thread where people are bemoaning poor management and lack of response to trends in the industry for the loss of their job.
Gentlemen (and Ladies) you can't have it both ways.

DADDY-OH!
22nd Nov 2012, 23:46
Artie Fufkin

I think the comment about Jet2 becoming more seasonal is misinterpreted. I think it may refer to the expansion of their Jet2 Holidays package holiday arm which relatively new, yet growing ahead of the planned rate. It is also focussing on more Summer only beach holidays, vis a vis packaged Ski holidays. Naturally the results will show a busier Summer with a hint of increased seasonal activity.

I work there & it's a cracking, very friendly little firm, with a variety of contracts on offer to suit candidates lifestyle needs.

spider_man
23rd Nov 2012, 17:04
Most people buy their own lunch, so what if your 38,000ft up, whats the difference?Generally speaking most people working in an office (or on shift) have an 8 hour day, a fridge in the office kitchen, or will pop out and buy fresh sandwiches with their Latte at lunch.

Ive worked for airlines that do provide crew food, and some that dont. Some of the longer 2 sector days in charter world can be upto 16 hours duty, no real refrigeration on board the aircraft, etc. Oh and you bought your food, or took it from your fridge at home, some 2 hours before signing on. Would you leave a tesco chicken sandwich or sushi on the window ledge of your car on a hot summers day for 18 hours before tucking in? mmm. Did I mention you've been called out on Standby or a day off and only had time to pick up a couple of sandwiches enroute?

By 9pm, youve had your hot evening meal and probably onto some supper before bed. Meanwhile, we're still at 38,000' on our way back to UK with our nasty chicken sandwich bought at 6am! So its not just lunch - its breakfast, lunch and dinner combined sometimes. A quick hop to JER, IOM or even FAO, sure who cares.

Anyway, how did this thread get hijacked over crewfood? Its not a major cost element. Easyjet provide it and just posted massive profits, share price sky high, etc. I believe some catering companies provide it free to the airlines as part of their contract.

Artie Fufkin
23rd Nov 2012, 19:37
Spider-Man, it's really not difficult, you make your lunch the night before, put it in the fridge and take it to work in one of those M&S insulated bags. Et voila, fresh lunch.

Sometimes ex BMI crew food found its way onto our flightdeck via mutual caterers. Their microwaved vomit vs my home prepared sandwich, salad and fruit is not a hard choice. Personally, I ranked crew food as a zero priority on the recent BALPA survey.

And we don't do 16 hour duties!?

Daddy-oh, I was referring to the worrying implications an increasingly seasonal business has for its employees. I agree; nothing wrong for the business / shareholders.

Lord Spandex Masher
23rd Nov 2012, 19:38
Or stick it in your nav bag down the side of the seat, cold enough there to freeze the nuts off a polar bear.

ciampino
24th Nov 2012, 09:08
Would you like a car to pick you up for work and then after your long day take you home you poor thing.

Narrow Runway
25th Nov 2012, 09:26
Driven to and from work? Sure, good idea. Why not?