PDA

View Full Version : HDD Led indicator calls explorer.

Loose rivets
21st Nov 2012, 08:34
On startup, this little program calls explorer to run. Indeed, it shows the HDD Led folder, so I guess that confirms it.

It never used to do that but installing it on a lower price deal $10 instead of $30 I think, I found this started. I had it on trial before that.

It's no big problem, but I can't find what's calling the explorer to run. It's a mystery.

Good little program

Milo Minderbinder
21st Nov 2012, 21:07
I'd take a guess and say that everyone else viewing this haven't got a clue what program you're talking about. I certainly haven't
I presume you've been conned into downloading some cheap mickey mouse piece of software? If so, what do you expect for the money

Anyway, guesswork aside - can you tell us exactly what this software is called (including the name of the publisher) and where you downloaded it from. It may help us understand the problem

Ancient Observer
22nd Nov 2012, 16:28
Mr Rivets,
You might relocate from Walton/Frinton to the colonies, but there's no need to accept colonial spelling.

Loose rivets
22nd Nov 2012, 20:00
The SOFTWARE is owned and copyrighted by Alexander Kondratyuk ("Author") d.b.a. as "HddLed.com"

Taken from the txt file.

Milo, it really is a superb little program which is hardly noticeable on my zero-icon desktop. Any drive which is called on start-up, creates a rectangular 'LED' which you can position where you like. They are utterly unobtrusive.

I use the settings which show Blue - no activity, green for read and red for write. Putting the cursor over any 'drive' shows the details. Wouldn't be without it, but it's just the new thing of calling explorer which has, or had, me flummoxed.

Looking just now, I found I'd probably clicked on an exe a tenth the size of the main 700 odd k. It has an explorer icon. But, just how is it doing it? Certainly not in the start up menu. (The main one is there, but nothing else.)

Mr Observer. t'is a real problem. The bulk, but not all, of my 1,300 page book has been written with an American Spell check. At first, I highlighted things like Trunk and Boot. Doctor's Office and Surgery., but then I just let things slide. It's going to cost me many thousands to have it professionally edited, still with no guarantees, so it's all a bit of a stressful situation.

Having said this, must get back to work . . . well, perhaps just a peek into JB. Laughter does set one up for real work.

mixture
22nd Nov 2012, 21:18
I'd take a guess and say that everyone else viewing this haven't got a clue what program you're talking about. I certainly haven't

Not only do I not have a clue about the program he's on about, but I can't grasp what he's on about in general !

On startup, this little program calls explorer to run

It's no big problem, but I can't find what's calling the explorer to run

Seems to be contradicting himself !

Loose rivets
22nd Nov 2012, 22:57
I find that a lot in this life. I've concluded that either I'm unable to express myself clearly, or I'm so startlingly intelligent that normal mortals can't keep up.:p

However, since the first quote was not from me, I can not understand how the second two are contradictory in any way. Indeed, if anything, I lose a point for repartition.

You used to be able to try it free for a while.

HddLed Indicator - Download (http://www.hddled.com/download/)

Milo Minderbinder
22nd Nov 2012, 23:31
but.................................why?

I can't see what practical use this program has.
So it flashes pretty lights when the hard drive spins. So what?

To my way of thinking its just another piece of bloat: another piece of junk software to create a resource overhead, and create yet another hook into the windows shell resulting in another potential failure point.

People love installing these third party toys on their computers and - in the main - they are a total waste of time and money (and thats when they're not actually deletorious to the system)

Loose rivets
23rd Nov 2012, 03:52
But . . . but, when I gleaned the information about this program from this site, everyone seemed to be saying how much they missed HD LEDs. Not only do these simulated LEDs flicker, but they spells out if its a read or write - rates, requests, queue lengths etc., etc. All with almost nothing cluttering the screen - unless you hover over it. Pretty neat, I think.

Saab Dastard
23rd Nov 2012, 07:51
how much they missed HD LEDs

Doesn't every PC still have one?

I don't have a tablet, but every laptop and desktop in my possession, and at work, has HDD activity LEDs that... errr... show when the HDD is active (assuming they've been connected correctly).

If I desperately need to know whether it's reading or writing I use perfmon.

SD

mixture
23rd Nov 2012, 08:45
Loose rivets,

Aaah...the famous Blinkenlights....

ACHTUNG!

ALLES TURISTEN UND NONTEKNISCHEN LOOKENPEEPERS!

DAS KOMPUTERMASCHINE IST NICHT FÜR DER GEFINGERPOKEN UND MITTENGRABEN! ODERWISE IST EASY TO SCHNAPPEN DER SPRINGENWERK, BLOWENFUSEN UND POPPENCORKEN MIT SPITZENSPARKSEN.

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.

ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.

The problem with interpreting (or attempting) to interpret HDD lights is that it will tell you absolutely nothing at all..... first, there is no guarantee the blinking of the lights is in sync with disk activity or volume thereof. Secondly there's so much behind the scenes magic going on behind in todays operating system that some degree of continual disk access is required, whether for logging, paging or other purposes.

Loose rivets
23rd Nov 2012, 14:06
Yes, and the tiny% of my screen that's taken up, shows me so much more than the old lights. And remember, this program will present a new 'LED' for every logical drive or device. i.e. my permanent and non permanent back up sticks are shown.

If my cloth ears think I hear activity, I know in an instant which it's going to/from. Indeed, with say, svhost red and green can be seen chuntering in the background.

Saab, quite so. Nice programs abound, but they need further attention. This is just, there.

But of course, this was not the point. The question was, not why it is calling explorer on first start of the day, but how.

vulcanised
23rd Nov 2012, 14:18
Having only the vaguest idea what's going on here, I'm wondering - could it be looking to see if there's an update, but looking in the wrong area?

Loose rivets
23rd Nov 2012, 17:56
It's a thought, though now I'm guessing it's dropping a not to veiled hint to pay.

Having used the same download from the computer that died, it probably knows I haven't registered/paid for a second machine. It can't know of the demise of the other one. But how is it doing it? Software writers are not simple enough to think something in the Start Menu would remain long, so it's more deep-rooted, I guess.

At the end of the day, it was only curiosity, and I didn't expect a 'discussion' about the merits of the software itself. :hmm: