PDA

View Full Version : Coalition’s historic deal for major national air hub

Jethro Gibbs
21st Nov 2012, 08:11
Hundreds of Jobs gone and now The State Government announces this are they F %&king Kidding its nothing but pure Spin also understand some union Reps were at this Show .:ugh::mad:
Coalition (http://www.premier.vic.gov.au/media-centre/media-releases/5430-coalitions-historic-deal-for-major-national-air-hub-.html)

Frank Arouet
21st Nov 2012, 08:18
By my definition, a "hub" would be at a place like Alice Springs with spokes radiating outwards.

Just thinking about my first 26" bike.

I guess the "valve" would be Hobart in the 360 degree scheme.

Ixixly
21st Nov 2012, 09:09
I think you'll find the "Valve" is Canberra....that does seem to be where all the hot air is coming out... must be something faulty...

SRM
22nd Nov 2012, 06:08
“We have also invested $6.5 million in the Melbourne Airport rail study to identify the best route for a rail link to Melbourne Airport and the preferred options for station locations,” Mr Rich-Phillips said.

If it costs 6.5 million for a study, I wonder what the project will cost.

Not a bad idea though only 20 years late.

As for JHAS time will tell.

Jack Ranga
22nd Nov 2012, 06:14
If you lived in China the rail link would have been built yesterday, the airport would have 4 runways in the first place. There'd be no kow-towing to idiots who bought a house and knew there was an airport nearby and, god-forbid, the airport may expand one day :eek:

Democracy..............mmmmmm

Kiwiconehead
22nd Nov 2012, 06:39
I live in Sydenham and couldn't give a rats about the noise.

I just want to work where I live, instead of flying out to Townsville, or Cairns, or PNG, or Malaysia

But I still wouldn't work for JHAS ;)

CPT733
22nd Nov 2012, 13:10
If you lived in China the rail link would have been built yesterday, the airport would have 4 runways in the first place. There'd be no kow-towing to idiots who bought a house and knew there was an airport nearby and, god-forbid, the airport may expand one day

I think the Germans are the ones that mastered planning....
Unfortunetly here any decision is made with only a view of the next 5-10 yrs and alot of wasted money :ugh:

Lodown
22nd Nov 2012, 15:04
If I had a guess, someone in the Vic government has identified that Sydney as Australia's premier business centre, is hamstrung in its growth. Problems with areas to expand, dilapidated infrastructure from the horse and buggy days, and a lack of political will and foresight are concisely represented in the gridlock on any decision centering around expanding Sydney's aviation facilities. There is an opportunity for other cities to capitalise on the Sydney/NSW navel gazing.

Brisbane/Qld would be the obvious and immediate usurper, but Melbourne is getting in as well. Kudos to Melbourne for identifying the importance of an airport and aviation infrastructure to the future growth of the city and the state.

Yes, there's a lot of spin in the article. I'm sure the pieces will fall into place as a form of this project moves forward. The important thing is that Melbourne has identified an opportunity for growth with aviation as a tenement for sustaining that growth, and is putting forward an investment in time, resources and most importantly: political support.

Watch out Sydney!

(Edited as BrissySC reminded me of a few of Brisbane's initiatives towards this goal too.)

BrissySparkyCoit
22nd Nov 2012, 15:38
Um.... I thought Brisbane started this ball rolling quite some time ago. Aviation Australia, Vrigins training center, QF Heavy Maintenance.

also understand some union Reps were at this Show
Your point Jethro? If union reps had not attended you would be making a song a dance that they didn't.

A question for you, once again. Are you a member of a union?