PDA

View Full Version : BoB on DVD with Walton score

ORAC
13th Apr 2002, 13:04
Walton's score to be reinstated in 'Battle of Britain' film for his centenary year
By Dalya Alberge, Arts Correspondent

DECADES after a devastated William Walton discovered that only a few minutes of his score for The Battle of Britain would be used and that the rest was to be replaced by another composer’s work, the film classic is being reworked with his entire original music.

Barely four minutes of his 25-minute composition were used in the 1969 war film, which starred many leading British actors of the day, including Laurence Olivier, Trevor Howard and Michael Redgrave as well as most of the world’s Hurricanes and Spitfires.

It was because of protests from Olivier that any of Walton’s music was used, in the “Battle in the Air” section, considered by some to be the most memorable part of the score.

Walton received a joint credit with Ron Goodwin, the composer who was hastily commissioned to write an entirely new score. Now, in the centenary year of Walton’s birth, nearly 20 years after his death, some of the original film-makers are restoring the classic to the way its director had intended it to sound.

Timothy Gee, 65, who was assistant editor on the film, wants to remix the soundtrack with the support of the producers, MGM and United Artists. The original master tracks were rescued by the music mixer, Eric Tomlinson. “When he heard that United Artists had authorised the erasing of the master tracks, he just said, ‘over my dead body’, picked them up, put them in the boot of his car and stored them in his garage,” Mr Gee said.

The director, Guy Hamilton, who later made Diamonds Are Forever and other Bond films, said: “The producers caved in to the demands of United Artists, who wanted to fill every available frame with the standard American movie epic score, thus ruining William Walton’s carefully crafted work. I think the idea of resuscitating William’s tremendous score is entirely valid.”

Walton, who wrote the Coronation March for George VI, and 16 years later for his daughter, the Queen, as well as the scores for Henry V and Hamlet, had been particularly inspired writing music for the film because he had been so devastated by the war, his widow said yesterday. Lady Walton recalled that the pain of rejection was all the more acute because he had been so proud of his work for it. “He couldn’t sleep for weeks,” she said. “Nothing like that had ever happened to him.”

She welcomed plans to issue a DVD with both versions of the score, as well as screenings with the intended score in time for the September commemorations of the Battle of Britain and before the end of this year’s Walton Centenary, when his music is being performed throughout Britain.

The film is transformed by Walton’s music, Mr Gee said. “Walton’s music has a marvellous Elgarian theme that is deeper and more stirring than Goodwin’s, which is more fruity, ‘we won chaps’ and victorious.”

Goodwin, a distinguished film composer whose other scores have included Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines and Where Eagles Dare, recalled yesterday that he had written the 50-minute score in two or three weeks.

On being told of the plans to reinstate Walton’s music, he said: “It’s a good idea. It will be a collector’s item.

“I never heard it, apart from the ‘Battle in the Air’ section. I purposely didn’t because it would have been difficult to hear it first and then write a new score.”

BEagle
13th Apr 2002, 14:01
Yes please - and in 1:1.85 widescreen (not b£oody 1:2.35!!) with both scores. But please don't bin 'Eagles High' - otherwise known as 'The Luftwaffe March'!!

Tocsin
15th Apr 2002, 22:06
My credit card awaits...

Every so often I check the DVD sites to see if a release of BoB is planned.

Good music, good film (apart from the cheesy love interest - more aviating, please), and good news - thanks ORAC!

BEagle
15th Apr 2002, 22:11
Cheesy love interest? There was nothing cheesy about Susannah York in webbing, believe me!

Captain Gadget
16th Apr 2002, 13:12
Seconded, BEagle!

Tocsin
16th Apr 2002, 20:51
Now, I'm the first to admit that SY in suspenders would make a good pin-up poster...

Still think the interlude was slotted in to the film though!

owe ver chute
16th Apr 2002, 21:10
I'm glad that I'm not the only person in the world who found the sight of the lovely Susannah York in suspenders a curiously erotic sight, given that she was wearing the RAF uniform on her top half:p
BEagle, credit to you for having the courage to make the statement in the first place;)

BEagle
16th Apr 2002, 21:19
Having been cloistered in the rather spartan conditions of Sleaford Tech in 1969, some of us went to the premiere of the Battle of Britain movie in Nottingham. The site of Susannah York in a RAF shirt and non-issue suspenders made a fair impression on our lecherous young minds, as you can well imagine.

Probably not PC these days - the EO police doubtless wouldn't allow it!

Can't imagine how Christopher Plummer was more concerned by a few jettisoned bombs from a lost He 111 than the goodies rather closer at hand.....

MrBernoulli
17th Apr 2002, 20:26
Now, now BEagle. Be a good chap and take a cold shower will you?