PDA

View Full Version : RA-Aus loses CEO

VH-XXX
20th Nov 2012, 05:52
Well it was only a matter of time.

The CEO is parting company.

To be closely followed by another staff member in an important role. (Not on their website yet so I won't write it here)

Resignation was received this afternoon as per website www.raa.asn.au (http://www.raa.asn.au)

We knew things were bad after failing the CASA registrations / safety paperwork audit but didn't think it was that bad!

Sunfish
20th Nov 2012, 05:55
Sorry to hear it. This isnt a prelude to a CASA takeover is it?

spinex
20th Nov 2012, 08:03
Doubt it, the CEO had gotten a significant and noisy minority of members offside and for whatever reason, hadn't really shown a great deal of leadership in the current problematic situation. Interesting times for whoever steps up though:hmm:

LeadSled
20th Nov 2012, 12:12
Sunfish,
Very sad, but probably inevitable. Even though said CEO was not directly responsible for the problems found, and not responsible for hiring the person who was, already departed, he was the "Captain of the ship".
Tootle pip!!

peuce
20th Nov 2012, 19:21
The cynic in me sees CASA making a big deal out of this ... to perhaps deflect attention away from other CASA goings on at the moment.:hmm:

hiwaytohell
20th Nov 2012, 22:03
Is it correct that a former RA-AUS Technical Officer/Manager, is now the guy in CASA at the centre of these issues???

If so is some payback to his former employer a factor?

Jabawocky
21st Nov 2012, 02:36
Doubt it, the problems stem from their success.

I have been known to say be careful what you wish for, greater exemptions and privileges such as cta giving rise to more overheads etc.

The greater complexity, LSA for example, ballooning numbers etc create greater overheads. these overheads will not be directly proportional. More like the squared law.

The business of running RAAus is not simple like it once was, say 10 years ago. And the level of administration is probably killing them.

This will arc up Leadie Frank and friends.....but they need to double or even more their membership fees to support the success and growth they have seen.

The concept of asking more from less is one that CEO's and accountants and lawyers love to see, but in reality it can only last for a short time. History is littered with the wrecks of such ideals.

I could be wrong, but I bet a few beers that I am pretty close to the mark. Sadly. :sad:

And this is why I protested all the privileges and great new exemptions a few years ago.....and yes I am a paid up member. Not that I get to exercise the privileges anyway....my CIR renewals are not valid for the AFR requirement apparently! I will get around to it one day!

Frank Arouet
21st Nov 2012, 03:03
I liked Tiz.

But he isn't the guy you are talking about.

Having said that, as a "compulsory" organisation and if you wish to fly, they can put the fees up to whatever they will stand. The problems lie deeper and are a colour re-run of what happened with AOPA.

Remember the magazine costs about $100+ per member to post out.

With the advent of the MV medical and LSA some feel they have lost touch with the grass roots mob. ie. the 95:10 lot who now have to abide all the extra gear when before they only needed a road map a compass and a functioning timepiece. Few flew above 5,000ft OCTA.

If CASA want others to do their administration, they should fund it accordingly. After all, if they want extra cash they just take it from the taxpayer. Their input plus the subscriptions should be equal to the task of maintaining a healthy organisation.

baswell
21st Nov 2012, 04:08
they need to double or even more their membership fees
Well, they need to double their revenue, that doesn't mean it needs to come from the members.

I am with Frank:
If CASA want others to do their administration, they should fund it accordingly.
Indeed; I am pretty sure the "cost recovery" CASA does from GA doesn't come close to anywhere near the amount of money spent. (I just got my Drivers License Medical (Aviation) for free) My tax dollars are funding it, as they should fund RA-Aus.

baswell
21st Nov 2012, 04:11
Should we 'ave a word with Nick Xenephon about how the government's unwillingness to pay for the regulation of a major part of aviation is affecting safety for all?

LeadSled
21st Nov 2012, 04:56
highwaytohell,
A bit off beam there, it seems it is an ex-CASA person who retired from RAOz quite recently, who may have caused the administrative problems.

If you want to understand why RAOz exists at all, you have to go back to the foundation, the HORSCOT ( House of Representatives Standing Committee on Transport) Report, (aka. the Darling Report) on Sports Aviation, and the breakaway group from SAAA that created the Ultralight Federation from scratch.

The alternative was grounding all "Sports" aircraft (not gliders, they had already been self-administering for years).

SAAA declined to be involved, now they are busting a gut to try and get back in the self'-administration tent.

The recently deceased George Markey was one of the driving forces that created AUF/RAOz.

Tootle pip!!

VH-XXX
21st Nov 2012, 06:03
Those that left RAA for CASA quite obviously know all of the dirty little secrets so one can only read between the lines.

Jabawocky
21st Nov 2012, 06:19
Leadsled

SAAA declined to be involved, now they are busting a gut to try and get back in the self'-administration tent.

Bollocks, CRAP BS, completely untrue and are there any further ways to describe your statement as FALSE.

No I am not going to debate this, no I am not going to argue with you. You are wrong once again on matters of which you know absolutely NOTHING about.

It would be not unlike me posting on here about what you had for dinner last night. How would I know, I was not there.

Knock it off would you. I know this is a rumour network and all but geeez :ugh:

And stick to the topic......RAAus is in a world of hurt. Your irrelevant ramblings are nota any help.

LeadSled
21st Nov 2012, 06:27
Jaba,
Methinks you do protesteth too much!
You can hold your hand on your heart, can you, and say that SAAA is not, has not and will not be interested in self administration of an RPL??
As to RAOz, given who has come on board, and back on board, let's hope it is back to business as usual this week.
Tootle pip!!

VH-XXX
21st Nov 2012, 07:59
RA-Aus Technical Manager 21/11/12

November 21, 2012 | opsassist

Mr Adam Finn is no longer the RA-Aus Technical Manager and has been replaced by Mr Dean Tompkins until another Technical Manager is recruited.
All technical enquiries should be forwarded to Mr Dean Tompkins at: [email protected]

Steve Runciman
President RA-Aus

Jabawocky
21st Nov 2012, 08:18
Not a snowflakes chance in hell on a hot summers day.

SAAA has far better things to do than that. And some really good things coming.

Did the saaa work hard on the new medical and RPL, you bethcha, and with support from the AOPA (not the other way around) they were the ones who lead that charge.

I still have no idea about your dinner last night or tonight, but I know what I am posting here is fact with the same level of certainty you have about your dinner!

Ok :ok:

BACK TO TOPIC :rolleyes:

Jack Ranga
21st Nov 2012, 08:39
He probably had horse**** on toast?

LeadSled
21st Nov 2012, 12:15
Jaba,
That goes to show how little you actually know, but probably don't realise.

It is not all that long ago that a company was formed to become a self-admin body for RPL, Experimental Amateur Built and several other categories, SAAA was part of that organisation, and a leading proponent of the idea.

And how can I be so sure, simply because I sat in on some of the meetings that established that org. Many hours of negotiations with CASA didn't amount to much.

The whole idea was based on a previous similar body, put together by AOPA and the then AUF, but that first attempt was an idea before its time.

Tootle pip!!

VH-XXX
21st Nov 2012, 19:26
Perhaps LS you are talking 20 years ago into the long lost past versus current day activities and fresh thinking?

Jabawocky
21st Nov 2012, 20:42
:rolleyes:

Dates and who?

It ain't happening......

Three companies, none are set up for anything as you describe.

it is 2012