PDA

View Full Version : Unusual reason for being nervous flyer

CharlieDeltaUK
19th Nov 2012, 21:50
So, I took my mum flying for the first time. She was apprehensive, having only ever flown in any aeroplane at all just once in her life. But, as soon as we got going, she relaxed. It transpired afterwards that the reason for her worry was that she had told my son (her grandson) that she was thinking it would be difficult to get in and out of a small aeroplane and my son had told her that she simply needed to climb onto the wing. That put the fear into her...she thought she would be a flying a Cessna, not a Piper, and she was convinced that she wouldn't be able to climb that high :uhoh:

david viewing
20th Nov 2012, 11:58
A young relative, doubtless familiar with some of my Cessna photos, cried out on first seeing the Warrior "Oohh! It's a real aeroplane!"

wsmempson
20th Nov 2012, 14:35
I really don't much like heights; as a 1,000hr pilot this might seem a bit strange but - from having asked about a bit - I understand that this isn't uncommon.

Which perhaps explains why I prefer the view out of a low-wing aircraft to the view from a high wing.....more looking forward, than looking down!

Shaggy Sheep Driver
20th Nov 2012, 14:47
A young relative, doubtless familiar with some of my Cessna photos, cried out on first seeing the Warrior "Oohh! It's a real aeroplane!"

I hope you corrected them. As any fule kno, 'real aeroplanes' have the third wheel at the correct end. :E

20th Nov 2012, 21:26
Wsmempson - I'm with you, I hate heights too! I am definitely more comfortable in a low wing, than a high wing. Must be the feeling of looking over the edge you get in a high wing.

GeeWhizz
20th Nov 2012, 22:14
That's such a charming story CDUK; making me smile anyway :)

Not really bothered about high or low wings, but at about 8000' I tend to feel height-phobia for a minute or so, then it goes and I don't mind it anymore. Must be said that I usually climb to 12k or as high possible in the Cessnas... Coz I can for a dick about! ;)

Halfbaked_Boy
21st Nov 2012, 17:03
I suffer from vertigo when I am on a tall structure and exposed to the elements. I can look down from the top of a tower so long as there is a nice solid railing (that I've already 'test-pushed'!) I can rest my arms on, but never lean against!

I think that it is the feeling of being 'exposed' that causes most fears of heights. I don't mind being in high or low wing a/c equally, but it is because in both aircraft I feel enclosed and safe.

In some ways, I find it worse to look down from a height of 100-500 feet than from, say, 2,000 feet upwards, because it becomes more difficult to reference ground objects above about 500 feet.

I don't know, all in all, I feel safe in aeroplanes and don't suffer any height related fears :)

Pegpilot
21st Nov 2012, 17:18
There was a wonderful story in a gliding mag a few years ago of a young lady strapped into a glider as it climbed steadily in mountain wave to 20,000 feet. Her concern was specificically the air cavity cushioning in the heels of her trainers, and the trepidation was triggered by the falling outside air pressure as the glider climbed, and her real worry that eventually her shoes were going to explode......

mary meagher
23rd Nov 2012, 20:57
Low wing, high wing, feeling safe because you are enclosed, yes. Took me 5 years of flying my Supercub before I got up the nerve to fly with the doors open, and make steep right turns....oh yes! When there is only air between you and the ground, you know, you know! no illusion of safety whatsoever!

Same goes for an open cockpit glider vs one with a canopy. I remember hearing a young lady screaming, not for joy, as she experienced a loop in a T21....

Shaggy Sheep Driver
24th Nov 2012, 08:39
I used to love flying the L4 (Mil J3) Cub with the whole side open. You fly it from the back seat, and with a slight crosswind from the left of track you crab across the countryside at a sedate pace as the full-deatil unexpurgated scenery unrolls right into the cockpit!

It's the closest I've come to being a bird.

Steve6443
24th Nov 2012, 10:22
It's the closest I've come to being a bird.

The closest I came was when I tried the wife's underwear for size, but that's a different story......:O

sevenstrokeroll
26th Nov 2012, 23:21
I am terribly afraid of heights...so of course I'm an airline pilot...soloed in 1975...

I've just read that many pilots are afraid of heights...but it is more of an acute sensitivity...the shrinks say we might just try flying without a plane by jumping off a cliff or stairs.

being more sensitive means a higher degree of precision in landing for example.

so it can be a plus.

low wing pipers vs high wing cessnas...well it is simply more comfortable and easy for people to live with the piper than the cessna...it is more ''car'' like...more comfortable, and people feel better sitting ON something than hanging beneath something.

and there is a double latch on the door!

and with rare exception (C336/337)...cessna went to low wings in their twins...and a real throttle!

and as I've said before...watch "Goldfinger" (james bond) and see how nice those pipers look...and the jetstar.

oh...and the landing gear is really a joke on those cessnas...no oleo struts on the mains.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
27th Nov 2012, 08:14
watch "Goldfinger" (james bond) and see how nice those pipers look...

Uh? I can picture it now... a gaggle of bouncy little high-dihedral light planes with wheels dangling (especially that prominant one at the front). Not my idea of 'nice aeroplanes'. They look... well... naff! :E

sevenstrokeroll
27th Nov 2012, 19:49
so...NAFF? what the frick is NAFF? nationall association of flying f%$^&ers?

watch "Goldfinger" one more time , and look closely at the planes when the pilots get out.

Those pilots are outstanding. And that's reason enough to fly pipers.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
27th Nov 2012, 19:59
Yeah, sure; (supressed giggle).

Only REAL MEN (and Pussy Galore etc) fly PA28s. :ok: (the thumbs-up is for PG etc, not the PA). :E