PDA

View Full Version : How long can I take to convert frozen CAA ATPL?

Captain Condom
13th Apr 2002, 09:25
I have a frozen UK CAA ATPL. I am fortunate enough to be flying a turboprop in New Zealand (on a NZ licence) and so now have the hour requirements to gain a CAA/JAR ATPL.

Some questions:

Will I need to renew my UK IR in order to be issued with a CAA/JAR ATPL? My New Zealand IR and Class 1 are current but I am expecting to have to renew my JAR class 1 medical.

Would I get a CAA ATPL or a JAR ATPL?

How long do I have before my UK exam credits expire?

Any help much appreciated. I've emailed UK CAA some months ago, am awaiting a prompt reply. :p

Noggin
13th Apr 2002, 11:01
If you want a UK ATPL you have until 30 June 2002 to apply. You will need a valid medical and a current M/E JAA/UK aircraft rating but I don't think the IR needs to be current so long as it is not more than 5 years out of date, in which case you would have to do another initial IR Test anyway.

If you want a JAA ATPL you will need the 500 hours MPA a valid medical and a current multi-pilot aircraft rating JAA/UK this would include IR validity.

The validity of your ATPL exams for a JAA licence is for ever so long as you maintain the CPL and do not let the IR lapse by a period of 7 years or more.

Best Tip, get a UK ATPL by June this year.

Gin Slinger
13th Apr 2002, 11:07
what a delightful user name!

rolling circle
13th Apr 2002, 11:44
It is not necessary to hold a current IR for UK ATPL issue. However, the licence privileges will be restricted to those of a CPL until the rating is renewed.

Check out the full requirements Here (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_gid09.pdf)