PDA

View Full Version : Piper Seminole Thrust Reverser

PanicButton
16th Apr 2001, 09:27
I have flown Piper Seminoles (PA-44-180) a bit. On the Seminole you can retard the throttles back beyond idle and a spring pushes them back to idle. I was told it was to prime the engines during start. Does anyone know how it works? It worked on one but not on another.

------------------
Nothing to see here, just making use of the internet!

A and C
16th Apr 2001, 20:26
Some one is pulling your pi**er the PA44 throtle works just the same as eny other piston engine.

The primers are just below the throtles ,rather than getting this cr@p from some joker may i sujest that the flight manual is a good read.

[This message has been edited by A and C (edited 16 April 2001).]

PanicButton
16th Apr 2001, 23:49
It doesn't say in the AOM what that notch back on the throttle is for so I guess the manual isn't good for everything! :)

------------------

A and C
17th Apr 2001, 20:52
The manual cant account for the fact that the notch in the back of the throtle is probably because it has worn on the plastic trim.
I can assure you that the only primers on the PA44 are the ones in the flight manual unless you are using the accelerator pump in which case an intake fire is not far away.

PanicButton
19th Apr 2001, 08:41
I've cracked it!

The notch closes the throttle flapper even more than idle. Thereby letting more air than fuel in during start. Useful when either the motor is hot like after a flight or in a hot weather. Or even when flooded.

I've got 500 TT, 110 Twin. So I think I've past the age of spotting the difference between a worn plastic trim and the real thing and knowing where the primers are.

But thanks for the arrogance A and C! :)

------------------

100LL
19th Apr 2001, 23:36
PanicButton, if I were you I would listen to A and C he's only offering advice, if you don’t want it don’t ask. How can you close the "Flapper" more than Idle? . I think the extra movement you have is probably down to wear in the Throttle Quadrant and a bit of bounce in the cable. If you really want to know how to start a hot Engine I suggest you read the POH it's there for the guidance of the wise and the obeyence of fools!! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif if it aint in the Manual it aint fitted

A and C
23rd Apr 2001, 12:51
The throttle "flapper" as you call it cant be closed past idle because the input arm on the buterfly valve contacts the idle stop , this is the stop that is used to adjust the engine idle RPM.

As for the arrogance well perhaps but was it the green or the red licence talking.

[This message has been edited by A and C (edited 23 April 2001).]