PDA

View Full Version : Where has the SHAR thread gone?

WE Branch Fanatic
13th Apr 2002, 08:47
Please bring it back.

I thought the new software allowed threads to go on unlimited in length.

And its not my fault, all I did was suggest we have an exercise...

WE Branch Fanatic
13th Apr 2002, 16:23
It has been deleted.....I think.

jockspice
13th Apr 2002, 20:05
Deleted? why?
plenty of banter and quite informative, so why has it been deleted?
Perhaps to make way for threads about badges or dripping about the amount of people who drip about dripping?
Explanation please! :D

WE Branch Fanatic
13th Apr 2002, 20:37
No idea. Perhaps the originator mentioned decided to delete it in case it gets into the wrong hands, ie, the MOD.

Is it possible to recover a lost thread? It must be backed up somewhere, or be only semi deleted?

Whats pisses me off is losing the time and effort we went into that thread. I had about 46 postings on it! Well, I am a fanatic!.

Last night I suggested we stage an exercise of the Western Isles, using carrier borne aircraft to "attack" the installation of the Western Isles (to represent enemy missile thingys). Also Special Forces operations supported by NGS.

Two variations. 1. With Sea Harriers. 2. Without.

Scenario supposes target out of range of land based aircraft for political/diplomatic reasons. CVS and supporting group are "attacked" by land based RAF aircraft.

MPs and journalists to be dispersed throughout the different ships. No effort spared to make damage simulation realistic, big bangs, lots of smoke. Simulated casualties, either dead, or lots of fake blood, screaming etc to represent injuries. At ENDEX, visitors handed predicted casualty figures.

That will make them think.

BlueWolf
14th Apr 2002, 02:06
Gidday WE.

I don't know where the thread has gone or why, but I did find your many postings both informative and entertaining. Also, both the thrust of your arguments, and the obvious research behind them, indicate that you are both a genuine person, and very committed. I wish you a long and happy military career, though I would caution that you are probably going to spend quite a lot of it being pissed off and disillusioned.
I have some free advice for your ongoing campaign, based, for what it's worth, on my own limited experience.
It is unlikely that you will acheive the ends you desire simply by being right and in possession of the facts. Your solution will come through political means.
There is an awful lot going on behind the scenes, very little of which ever meets the light of day via the media. Dumbfool schemes such as scrapping the SHar are decided by people with their own adgendas, in backrooms and Masonic Lodges, and rubber stamped by politcians who are naive, corrupt, and interested only in the short term. Many of those making these decisions should, by their experience, know better - but the reality is that the world is run by the same people with whom you were at primary school. They have got older; they have not necessarily become wiser. This is a frightening reality, given our childhood belief that those in positions of power somehow knew what they were doing.
There are two possible ways in which the SHar may be saved. The first is a war, or another Falklands, or something along similar lines.
The second is by convincing the relevant politicians that there are more votes to be had by keeping the SHar than by getting rid of it.
Unless you are in a position to start a war, your best option may be to focus on the politicians.
You certainly seem to have both the facts and the passion required to make a difference. Direct them to where they will have an effect, and make us all proud.

Good luck, mate!

WE Branch Fanatic
14th Apr 2002, 17:03
Thanks BlueWolf

I am trying to get others onside. Get them writing to their MPs.

As for the SHAR thread, if we ask nicely we MIGHT be able to recover it. I think that it got deleted, either by accident or on purpose by the orginator. Depending on the Operating System that PPRUNE uses, the PPRUNE admin people might be able to restore the thread, if we ask them very nicely. The posts by the orginator could then be wiped out manually.

This is an important issue, so it would be better if the old thread could be recovered.

WE Branch Fanatic
15th Apr 2002, 20:59
Seems the SHAR thread is gone forever.

Can't be recoverd:(

steamchicken
15th Apr 2002, 21:02
Don't worry, Fanatic. The new thread with my draft for discussion, list of MP targets and the like will be up tomorrow evening.

WE Branch Fanatic
15th Apr 2002, 22:34
Glad to hear it.

We all put a lot of time and effort into the last one.

I certainly did.....discussion of all sorts of issues, postings from papers etc....

All to get deleted :(

Still there were over 3000 views:)

See you then.