PDA

View Full Version : Go around - auto off cabin lights?

Muzzey
18th Nov 2012, 16:42
Hi, on a recent descent into Munich in BA A320 I'm guessing the crew had to go around suddenly during descent as the power came in hard and we climbed away - what made me wonder was the cabin (already dimmed during night approach) lights all went out except for the passenger lights that were on, putting the cabin into near darkness. Sorry for the rough description, just curious as I have never experienced a "lights out" before! Can anyone give a reason?

Thanks in advance for satisfying the curiosity.

easyflyer83
18th Nov 2012, 22:17
Are you sure you didn't mistake the illuminated exit signs in the cabin for 'normal' lights. Those lights are bright and when the gear is retracted like they would be on a go around, they will exstinguish.

Muzzey
19th Nov 2012, 16:25
Hi EF83

Thanks for replying so rapidly!

No, I don't think so, that is what seemed strange, the call was made & cabin crew took their seats as usual for landing, the emergency exit signs came on as you say, then: power on hard & darkness in the cabin except for the one or two reading lamps that were on up & down the cabin so I imagine the exit signs went off as well which makes sense, what highlighted the darkness was the front galley area lights being bright at the front, the cabin stayed very dark for the loop back to finals again where all returned to the usual dim overhead lighting (cabin roof lights off) for landing, - not wishing to make an issue, just curious, if any crew were standing for the go around I would have assumed they had touched the light control whilst grabbing for a grip! but all were seated.
I guess the flight deck was very busy doing the stuff they do in such circumstances, I just wondered if it was a preset function in such circumstances - I guess not?

Wirbelsturm
19th Nov 2012, 17:34
Muzzey,

Nope, not a preset as far as I know! (7 years flying them) Not sure what would cause the cabin lights to black out during a go-around, there is certainly nothing in the Airbus manual that states such.

Pure conjecture but an electrical failure in the front might cause temporary load shedding from a generator which would produce such results. Not sure why that would lead to a go-around however unless the landing was in CAT 3 (fog).

At the other end of the spectrum the aircraft is french thus it may just be an 'airbus'ism'.

:E

Muzzey
20th Nov 2012, 19:43
Hi Wirblesturm

I bow to your greater knowledge on this one, I fly only a handful of trips each year, almost always on A319/320 types, guess I have been lucky so far to have experienced smooth flights etc. there was no fog visible from the cabin but only the flight crew know for sure. I am happy to apportion this one to an "airbus ism" given the French parentage as you rightly state.
Software always has some surprises somewhere!

Thanks for you insight :-)
Muzzey