PDA

View Full Version : Los Halcones pilot school in Colombia

CamAM
18th Nov 2012, 15:43
Hey Forum

I’m making some research for my nephew, who lives in Colombia.

I would like to hear any information… Good and bad about Los Halcones pilot school in Colombia.

- I have made some research, but can’t find any information or notes about the school. I have got some prices and it seems, that you can get a certificate for 120’000’000 pesos (65 760 U.S. dollars). It looks like to be a CPL .. (I’m only knowing the EASA system). I will guess that in Colombia they use FAA.

But the price seems to be too low in my opinion…….

- What is the requirement of English, compared with European requirements

- And finally the chance to get a Job in Colombia as commercial pilot. In Europe it is quite difficult.

B200Drvr
21st Nov 2012, 23:22
Colombia do not use the FAA system, they use their own ICAO based system. While I cannot comment on that school particularly, I have a friend who went up through the ranks in Colombia from PPL to Avianca. Flying in Colombia is not easy, the terrain and airspace restrictions make aviation very limited, so once qualifying, He will be vying for a handful of jobs with very little experience. There are a fairly large number of PNC and Air-force pilots also vying for those jobs. He would be better served to go somewhere like Florida and do a pro-course that costs about the same, He can obtain a two year visa through the school and get all his ratings including instructors. It is a full time course so in two years He will be back in Colombia with 1500+ hours and on a level playing field for jobs. MTCW

MartinCh
22nd Nov 2012, 16:52
AFAIK, plenty Colombians and Peruvians go to train in Argentina, due to the cost and relative familiarity (many of them have poor/basic English).

65k for 200-250hrs airplane time, that's a lot. You could do more with that in the US (if one's wise and doesn't go for overpriced places with lots of BS) or simply go to Argentina, fly there, then convert back to Colombian system. Going the US route with the option of instructing afterwards (not much money, but experience) with one of the big schools, would definitely help with aviation English.

Actually, I know handful of Argentinos who can get a job with airline or are about to (needing 900hrs and 'comercial de primera clase'), but their English is below, even very nonchalantly considered 'OACI 4'.