PDA

View Full Version : I might have to go to GLA as an urgency

Tartan Gannet
13th Apr 2002, 02:41
As some of you dear friends already know an accident has befallen my elderly father. I only found out by the message on my answering machine when I came home about 1.00am BST and I cannot phone my Dad's home number till 08.00 hours this morning.

As some of you know my Mother died 10 months ago, (she was 85 and suffered from Alzheimers) and my Father has been broken hearted since. I am not surprised at this accident but as you can imagine I am beside myself with worry.

I will phone as soon as I can and if he is okey I will be seeing him for our planned holiday in Scarborough on May 4th. However, if as I fear, he is more seriously affected I will have to give my soon to be ex-employers short notice indeed and fly up to GLA to be with him.

Ill keep you posted as I will take a laptop with me, (Im sure to need it!)

Wish me luck and any prayers for me and my father, from any religion and none, will be received with thanks!

TG :(

SFly
13th Apr 2002, 02:50
Good luck TG in this obviously distressing time.

I'm sure I can speak for the PPRuNe populus when I say we wish you the best of outcomes here and I'm sure prayers and non-prayers (?:confused: ) will be with you and your father.

(PS, Isn't PPRuNe such a wonderful thing, where you can get support from a group of complete strangers (albeit some of whom are freinds probably) and people across the world who are genuinely concerned? Bravo to PPRuNe!)

It'll work out in the end TG.
Best of luck :( :)

SFly

swashplate
13th Apr 2002, 02:58
1st flight up to Glasgow is 7.15am from Gatwick

Check out:

British Airways (http://www.british-airways.com)

Best wishes TG... :(

...prob best to get head down....

BlueDiamond
13th Apr 2002, 03:04
Thinking of you TG ... hope your dad will be o.k. mate.

Tartan Gannet
13th Apr 2002, 09:55
A very big and humble thank you to all of you both on this thread and those who have e-mailed me directly.

I contacted the hospital. He had fallen and knocked himself out and cut his scalp. They have kept him in overnight and put in stiches, given him anti-tetanus shot.

He is back on his feet, thank GOD no brain damage or bone injury, and will be discharged home today. They sure made those old RAF men of wartime vintage out of solid stuff!

I will phone him of course and then fly up sometime next week to be with him , perhaps Sunday from either LHR or LGW to GLA. Whatever he wants me to do. So I may be off the air for a while.

Again to you all., a very very big thank you!

TG

AerBabe
13th Apr 2002, 11:55
Hope all goes well TG....

Moritz Suter
13th Apr 2002, 12:17
Dear Mr. Gannet,

I was terribly distressed to learn of your father’s fall in Glasgow, and relieved somewhat to hear that his injuries, the physical ones at least, aren’t as serious as you had perhaps feared. When you see him, you might care to remind him that 81 is NOT old anymore. That other resilient senior Scot, Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, recently put paid to that myth!

While I am reluctant to suggest it, and even more reluctant to seem to be interfering in the dynamic of your family, Mr. Gannet, it seems to me that when suffering from, as would seem likely in the case of Gannet Senior a broken heart, there are a number of steps one might pursue to improve his outlook.

I am much impressed by the attitudes and ethics of some of the more progressive ‘seniors’ groups that are developing, curiously enough, in The North. Many of them are committed to the altogether new notion of growing old ‘disgracefully’. Not in the conventional sense of sitting prone in front of a TV, eating, medication and bed, but organised trips away to areas of genuine interest, exercise, social partnerships of deep and enduring merit, and above all, a reinvestment of dignity in the lives of older people which can, all too sadly, be left to wither and fade following the passing of one’s life partner.

Perhaps some useful advice may be found via the links I include below, Mr. Gannet, and you have my sincerest wish for your father’s speedy recovery, and your early return to regular Jetblasting.

MS

http://www.bgs.org.uk/scottish/scothome.htm

http://www.counselandcare.org.uk/infopoint/info.html

somewhatconcerned
13th Apr 2002, 12:29
Hope your trip is a good one. Maybe Scarborough in a few weeks? Best Wishes SWC

min
13th Apr 2002, 13:54
TG, sincerest wishes for a speedy and uncomplicated recovery for your father....fingers crossed :)

M.

Rollingthunder
13th Apr 2002, 15:08
Hope it all turns out well TG.

My Mum was knocked down by a bicycle in Oxford a couple of months ago..broken collarbone, gash on head..off to hospital. Policeman gave bicyclist a good talking to.
Rather worrying as she is 77. Cousin from Wales came in for a week, then other cousin in Wales came in for a week, then I went over for a week. She's recovered but a bit cautious and a bit depressed. We're working on that.