PDA

View Full Version : Delete a thread

mike-wsm
15th Nov 2012, 22:21
I've noticed occasionally that threads vanish, and wondered how it happens. Not mods, I guessed, because they lock threads and don't delete them.

For example there was a magazine salesman we recognised and had a go at. His thread suddenly vanished. Yet the previous thread run by his boss (now banned) remains intact.

I just tried on one of my own thread which had only three posts total. I deleted the first post and the thread vanished.

So a thread can be vanished but only by the OP.

Sorry if everyone already knew that. :ok:

Saab Dastard
15th Nov 2012, 22:42
Mods can - and do - delete threads as well as lock them.

Admins have even greater powers - too terrible to mention, quake in your very boots sort of stuff.

And yes, you are correct that if the OP (or a mod) soft-deletes the first post, then the thread disappears - and the OP can only soft-delete. Of course, mods can resurrect a soft-deleted thread / post.

Hard delete is total bye-bye, which can be done by mods if required - though very rarely. Spam sometimes gets that treatment.

SD

mike-wsm
15th Nov 2012, 23:17
Thanks Saab! :ok:

KBPsen
16th Nov 2012, 00:35
the OP can only soft-delete.Important stuff that all users ought to know but few probably do.

mixture
16th Nov 2012, 07:00
Talk to the hand cos' the mods ain't listenin' .... :cool:

There are frequent threads started on JetBlast with moans about censorship etc. on PPRuNe...... suggest mike-wsm waits for the next one to come along and add to the hamsterwheel therein. :E

As a mere mortal, you can delete your own thread, as long as nobody has replied to you yet.

BOAC
16th Nov 2012, 07:07
Yellow bar, near the top of the screen, FAQ. Occasionally useful!:ugh:

Saab Dastard
16th Nov 2012, 07:49
Talk to the hand cos' the mods ain't listenin' ....

Meaning what, exactly?

Question asked, mod responds.

What is your problem, Mixture?

As a mere mortal, you can delete your own thread, as long as nobody has replied to you yet.

Just wrong - OP can delete their thread at any time.

SD

mixture
16th Nov 2012, 08:46
Meaning what, exactly?
Question asked, mod responds.
What is your problem, Mixture?

Whooosh..... that one went straight over the top of your head sir.

Lets just leave it at that. There were never any negative implications in my comment, I was simply attempting to take the p*ss at those people who regularly turn up in various corners of PPRune moaning about the purported censorship etc. that we all know doesn't really happen.

The mods do a great job. I know what hard work it is to be a mod on busy forum such as this !

Ceasefire ?

Saab Dastard
16th Nov 2012, 08:50
Sure thing, Mixture. :)

I didn't see the original post as an oblique reference to censorship is all.

SD

sitigeltfel
17th Nov 2012, 07:03
MikeEcho had one pulled from under him, yesterday.......or was it the day before? It was so exciting that I cannot remember what it was about :bored: