PDA

View Full Version : Emirates Application and Info

GLEN2651
15th Nov 2012, 10:38
Hi,

I am currently in the process of applying to Emirates with my 2500 hours from a UK low cost. I have been in the BA hold pool and drowned twice now so have given up on my UK aspirations and decided Emirates is the best option for me. I was hoping someone who has recently gone through the application process could give me some more info on the interview and sim over the 4 days.

I have also some questions regarding pay and fleet:

What is your average monthly/ yearly take home?

How much is the profit share usually?

What are the increments yoy?

Is it adviseable to take the accomodation provided or source your own; i would be coming as a single F/O. What is the cash alternative, and if you take the cash, do you still get the company contribution towards your utility bills.

Would it be possible to come back to the UK once a month for a weekend?

What are the rosters like?

Regarding staff travel, as I have no dependants, what is the viability of flying friends out to visit you and how many discounted tickets do you get and what is the discount?

Are there any restrictions on when you can take your holidays and the duration of the holiday you take?

Which fleet offers the quickest command?

Which fleet is the best for lifestyle- I prefer stopovers and futher afield destinations.

Finally, every airline obviously has pros and cons. As an operator, what would you say the best and worst aspects are.

I really am just looking for some unbiased straight talking overview of what life is like to help me make some more informed decisions, not to start a food fight!

Lordello
15th Nov 2012, 21:02
Hi!

Another doubt has came up besides those ones above. At Emirates website, one of the requirements is: candidates must hold a valid ICAO ATPL license.

I´m in doubt because they mentioned ICAO. I´m about to get an ATP license issued by FAA. Does not Emirates accept ATP license from FAA???

Thank You!

Ghost_Rider737
16th Nov 2012, 05:13
http://www.icao.int/MemberStates/Member%20States.English.pdf

If your licence has been issued by one of these countries then its been endorsed by ICAO.

Calmcavok
16th Nov 2012, 07:47
I'll start with a caveat, I'm not an emirates employee! But like you, have recently applied and have researched hard most of your points, this is what I understand thus far:

What is your average monthly/ yearly take home?

The salary is quoted on the website, I'm not sure about the extra allowances, though the salary quoted is based on an assumed number of hours/month. If the hours achieved change...

Is it adviseable to take the accomodation provided or source your own; i would be coming as a single F/O. What is the cash alternative, and if you take the cash, do you still get the company contribution towards your utility bills.

From advice I have had, take the accommodation provided in the first instance. Once out of provided accommodation there's no going back. After you have settled in to Dubai and worked out where you'd like to live, you can make a more informed choice.

Would it be possible to come back to the UK once a month for a weekend?

I think that's perfectly possible, however the flights are very busy. Back up tickets on other carriers would be advisable!

What are the rosters like?

This is fleet dependant. Also the more time you take to really understand the bidding system and then the amount of time you spend crafting your bid each month is proportional to the quality of your roster.

Regarding staff travel, as I have no dependants, what is the viability of flying friends out to visit you and how many discounted tickets do you get and what is the discount?

As far as I understand there are only discounts available for relatives. I think the only carrier i the ME that offers staff tickets for friends is based a short drive south of Dubai.

Which fleet offers the quickest command?

As a new joiner, I understand that's slightly academic, as at the current plan the time to command is limited by the move to the new airport and the next big expansion which will follow. Therefore, without big expansion at DXB or significant attrition, it'll be over 10 years. I'd be delighted to hear otherwise though!

Which fleet is the best for lifestyle- I prefer stopovers and futher afield destinations.

As a new joiner (assuming the A380 won't be offered), it has to be the 777.

I know most of this stuff is already buried in Prune, but I'd also be interested in other replies!

maghy
16th Nov 2012, 08:56
Your answers are pretty correct.
Put it this way, as far as being an expat, EK is one very good compromise.
Concerning rosters, it definitely depends on fleet. Some have 4 flights / month, and some feel like they have a job in a mine.

CR9
16th Nov 2012, 10:25
Cavok is pretty accurate...... If you go airbus I would not count on many
nightstops or days off (ie 8 or 9) until you get 340 quall'd and even then very limited. Several buddies on 330 only have not had layovers in over 4-5 months. It used to be your first 6 month PPC would be 340 training, that has not been happening lately. While some are going 340 others are staying 330 and seem to be held back for 380 transition which for some has taken close to 2 years. Keep in mind this is not your choice and there seems to be no rime or reason to it, luck of the draw if you will.....Boeing meanwhile is a different story, to a certain extent. Stretches of days off can be had in exchange for doing ULR's which you will have to be acclimitized for. Making it back home is possible but I would not count on it. Some of our highest load factors both paying pax and staff are to the UK, sure there are many other carries flying London routes but they are doing it for a reason, loads.... Good luck with your decision.

bucket_and_spade
16th Nov 2012, 10:49
Hi CR9,

Is there a bidding system/element of seniority at EK for aspirational fleet changes or commands? Regarding command, I get the impression that the days of a quick command at EK are gone?

Thanks for info everybody - seeing where EK might fit in to the master plan this end too!

B&S

CR9
16th Nov 2012, 17:14
B&S... Thats sort of a difficult question believe it or not. Generally speaking, if you join on the Airbus you will start 330 and from there go 340 to 380. However, as i mentioned before there have been guys held back from 340 and have gone straight 330 to 380 it just all has to do with training and staffing requirements. Same will probably hold true for airbus upgrades before long. Boeing is much simpler, you join on the 777 and upgrade on the 777. As a general rule of thumb you join on a type and stay airbus or boeing and progress as appropriate to the specific fleet. Now the wildcard is they have, on occasion had fleet transfers, but that has only been once in a blue moon and while they "attempt" these transfers in seniority order there are other factors at play. These factors can be anything from not picking up the phone when they decide to call one afternoon to a so called manager not liking the amount of sick calls or "attitude".

As far as command goes, yes the days of quick commands are probably gone. DEC's are here again despite the fact we have lots of very qualified FO's that are being held back because they do not have enough EK time, either on type or at the company. If you do decide EK is right for you than plan on a 7-10 year upgrade and by that time who know's what a/c you will be on.

Not trying to turn you off just being as honest as I can be, good luck.

Cheers,
CR

Iver
16th Nov 2012, 23:47
Keep in mind EK also has something like 50 A350s on firm order and 50 more on option. So, if you start on the A330 in the next year or two, you may get the full Airbus widebody lineup - A330 FO to A340 FO to A380 FO to possibly either A350 Captain or A380 Captain if you are lucky. :cool: The A330s will likely depart the fleet in the next few years. I think the A350s are due in 2015/16 - looks like a nice flight deck:

Home | A350 XWB by Airbus (http://www.a350xwb.com/#x-tra/360-cockpit-view/)

EK380
17th Nov 2012, 07:18
Iver,

Lets say there is a big chance that the A350 order will be changed into a more A380 order... Wait and see!

vinayak
19th Nov 2012, 02:54
You've a point there. What real advantage would ek have getting the 350s over their existing fleet of 773ER.... I wonder.

mignolo
19th Nov 2012, 04:31
Hi, my application is "under review" since last February. Any clues on it?

luvly jubbly
20th Nov 2012, 14:01
Anyone go to the recruitment roadshow in MAN over the last 2 days?
Did they say when assessments for FO will restart?

LJ

tmpdy
20th Nov 2012, 15:46
I am still in short list, just waiting, waiting and waiting....